hard disk from Windows ME system unavailable

Just got a brand new system running Windows XP. I want to
add the hard drive from my older system that was running
Windows ME. The system will not assign a drive letter to
the disk, but it does recognize that the second disk is
there. The operating system even knows that it is a
Western Digital 80 GB disk. The only option under disk
management that is available is to initialize the disk,
but I will lose all of the data on it. I did make the XP
boot disk the master and the Windows ME disk the slave. Is
there anything I can do to make this disk available under
XP?

Thanks

What do you mean by initializing it will erase all data? All I can see
is Activate Volume (but this may be because I am using Dynamic disks).
Try reading through this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;309000

----
Nathan McNulty