Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

iPAQ 2210 ROM Update Problem

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
June 24, 2004 2:31:49 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I've just updated my iPAQ 2210 from ROM v1.00 to ROM v1.10.

However all is not well as now I've got a mix of the old "field and sky"
screen and the newer blue background screen. In fact the background is the
newer blue one but the bar at the bottom is the old light green one (doesn't
match - ugh!) and the screen text is the old black rather than the newer,
and clearer, white. Also a number of entries in Calendar seem to now be
double. Worse of all the Diagnostic Toolkit now won't function with no link
from the icon (Now showing as the unknown program icon). When I click on
this icon I get the message;

ipaqdiag.exe

Cannot find the 'ipaqdiag.exe' (or
one of its components).
Make sure the path and
filename are correct and all
the required libraries are
available.

I've downloaded a copy of this program from the HP site but this crashes out
on any attempt to load it onto the PDA.

Now what I did to upgrade the ROM was to firstly backup the data on the PDA
using ActiveSync. The PDA's ROM was then updated from v1.00 to v1.10
successfully and the correct newer blue background screen with white text
was shown. All was well until I reloaded the backup by cancelling the
ActiveSync wizard setting up a new connection and logged onto ActiveSync as
Guest. The backup was then loaded when logged on as Guest (as was detailed
within the ActiveSync Help files) whereupon on completion the problem
described above manifested itself.

Firstly has anyone else come across this problem and secondly does anyone
know of a solution to fix this problem? The PDA does work but it's annoying
not having the clearer white text, the light green toolbar at the bottom,
double entries in Calendar and worst of all the loss of the Diagnostic
Toolkit. Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated.


Stephen
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 2:31:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Stephen" <newsmail03@ntlworld.com> wrote in news:#EpN$lWWEHA.1144
@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:

> All was well until I reloaded the backup


Red flag! here is where it went wrong.
You should never restore a backup made prior to an upgrade.
You will have to reinstall all your programs from scratch
and resynchronize your data to your iPAQ, then all is well.




~S.







--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
HTTP://www.xarane.com
======================
June 24, 2004 3:11:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

ACE!!! wrote:

> "Stephen" <newsmail03@ntlworld.com> wrote in news:#EpN$lWWEHA.1144
> @TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:
>
>
>>All was well until I reloaded the backup
>
>
>
> Red flag! here is where it went wrong.
> You should never restore a backup made prior to an upgrade.
> You will have to reinstall all your programs from scratch
> and resynchronize your data to your iPAQ, then all is well.
>

hmm i did a backup and it all worked, in fact the readme said i sould..
:-/ maybe I was lucky? The missing exe has bee replaced by a new
dionostic program, just delete the shortcut to the old one.

Marc
Related resources
June 24, 2004 3:39:16 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Marc" <marcus.no-spam@imarc.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1088028695.15699.1@nnrp-t71-01.news.uk.clara.net...
> ACE!!! wrote:
>
> > "Stephen" <newsmail03@ntlworld.com> wrote in news:#EpN$lWWEHA.1144
> > @TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:
> >
> >
> >>All was well until I reloaded the backup
> >
> >
> >
> > Red flag! here is where it went wrong.
> > You should never restore a backup made prior to an upgrade.
> > You will have to reinstall all your programs from scratch
> > and resynchronize your data to your iPAQ, then all is well.
> >
>
> hmm i did a backup and it all worked, in fact the readme said i sould..
> :-/ maybe I was lucky? The missing exe has bee replaced by a new
> dionostic program, just delete the shortcut to the old one.
>
Interestingly I've just re-read the readme file and I think I've mistakenly
made the same error as you. I read it again several times carefully and it
doesn't actually say to backup to the ActiveSync backup.

It actually says to backup all data to the PC or an SD card using either
ActiveSync or the iPAQ Backup.

ACE is correct that using ActiveSync backup has screwed it up for me. It's
now too late tonight to do anything but I'm now hoping that the same ROM
upgrade can be run again now that I've used it once to upgrade it.


Stephen
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 12:35:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9511F038FF4BDFearIsTheMindKiller@207.46.248.16...
> "Stephen" <newsmail03@ntlworld.com> wrote in news:#EpN$lWWEHA.1144
> @TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:
>
> > All was well until I reloaded the backup
>
>
> Red flag! here is where it went wrong.
> You should never restore a backup made prior to an upgrade.
> You will have to reinstall all your programs from scratch
> and resynchronize your data to your iPAQ, then all is well.
>
>

??

there's certainly no point restoring a back-up made AFTER an
upgrade...theres nothng left to back-up!!
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 12:35:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Perhaps my typing was off, but my post meant to say that
you should never restore any backups you made before
the upgrade. in other words, you make a backup, you upgrade,
but now your backup useless since you upgraded.


~S.




"Alistair" <forget_it> wrote in news:10dl158gn9ldu41@corp.supernews.com:

> there's certainly no point restoring a back-up made AFTER an
> upgrade...theres nothng left to back-up!!
>



--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
HTTP://www.xarane.com
======================
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 12:53:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9511F038FF4BDFearIsTheMindKiller@207.46.248.16...
> "Stephen" <newsmail03@ntlworld.com> wrote in news:#EpN$lWWEHA.1144
> @TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:
>
>> All was well until I reloaded the backup
>
>
> Red flag! here is where it went wrong.
> You should never restore a backup made prior to an upgrade.
> You will have to reinstall all your programs from scratch
> and resynchronize your data to your iPAQ, then all is well.
>
<snip>

To confirm, the backup is only for roll-back purposes should you need to go
back to the previous ROM version.

Otherwise, do the upgrade and restore the apps and data from scratch.
(Assuming you installed the apps via ActiveSync in the first place you can
load them from the Add/Remove programs feature in AS).

cheers

simon
--
Simon Coupland
Peak District, UK
June 24, 2004 1:16:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Stephen wrote:
> Interestingly I've just re-read the readme file and I think I've mistakenly
> made the same error as you. I read it again several times carefully and it
> doesn't actually say to backup to the ActiveSync backup.
>
> It actually says to backup all data to the PC or an SD card using either
> ActiveSync or the iPAQ Backup.
>
> ACE is correct that using ActiveSync backup has screwed it up for me. It's
> now too late tonight to do anything but I'm now hoping that the same ROM
> upgrade can be run again now that I've used it once to upgrade it.

Good luck. I always made the asumption that deleting everything to
upgrade to something, which fixes only a few bugs was a bit much to
expect from users and that was why they included that backup
application. Oh well :-|

Marc
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 1:16:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

In the case of PPC's I think the developers of the OS and the
upgrades work under the assumption that small devices such as
ours are quicker to reinstall and that reinitialising it
after an upgrade will benefit the user. what they didn't tell
us is that any changes under the hood can be made undone by
putting your precious backups back onto the upgraded device..



~S.






Marc <no.s-p-a-m.marcus@imarc.co.uk> wrote in
news:1088064967.2804.0@lotis.uk.clara.net:

>
> Good luck. I always made the asumption that deleting everything to
> upgrade to something, which fixes only a few bugs was a bit much to
> expect from users and that was why they included that backup
> application. Oh well :-|
>
> Marc
>



--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
HTTP://www.xarane.com
======================
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 6:03:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9512798D6E7D3FearIsTheMindKiller@207.46.248.16...
> Perhaps my typing was off, but my post meant to say that
> you should never restore any backups you made before
> the upgrade. in other words, you make a backup, you upgrade,
> but now your backup useless since you upgraded.
>
>
> ~S.

exactly what I meant...how stupid is that???
June 25, 2004 1:47:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns951279924F222FearIsTheMindKiller@207.46.248.16...
> In the case of PPC's I think the developers of the OS and the
> upgrades work under the assumption that small devices such as
> ours are quicker to reinstall and that reinitialising it
> after an upgrade will benefit the user. what they didn't tell
> us is that any changes under the hood can be made undone by
> putting your precious backups back onto the upgraded device..
>
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
The PPC is well bolloxed now and even HP can't fathom it out so far. To
rectify the situation I again ran the upgrade and as before it crashed out
several times unable to communicate between the PC and the PPC (it wasn't
via a USB hub either). This happened the first time I upgraded it when I
just did a soft reset as per the on screen instructions, plugged it back
into the cradle and re-ran the upgrade. But this time it's different as it's
now completely locked up with the screen unlit and just showing "USB"
("Serial" when out of the cradle) at the top, the HP logo in the middle and
"V1.08" at the bottom of the screen.
Attempted soft resets, hard resets, rebooting the computer, reloading the
upgrade software, taking the battery out for about fifteen minutes and more,
tried other USB ports which weren't on a hub, but all to no avail as the PPC
just refuses to do anything. Apart from the unlit screen it's dead as I'd
suspect the ROM is corrupted big time.
HP Support also couldn't believe that it had crashed big time and talked me
through what I'd done before but still the same problem persisted. Now I'm
told that I'll have to send it to HP Service for repair but at least it's
still under warranty so they can sort out what their upgrade software has
screwed up.
Does anyone know how long HP's Service people take to repair the PPC's?


Stephen
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 4:50:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Ouch..
As far as I know, HP's service sends you a box to return the unit in,
they come pick it up and it'll be returned in about 5 business days.



~S.






"Stephen" <newsmail03@ntlworld.com> wrote in
news:ufCeDyiWEHA.3708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

> Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
> The PPC is well bolloxed now and even HP can't fathom it out so far. To
> rectify the situation I again ran the upgrade and as before it crashed
> out several times unable to communicate between the PC and the PPC (it
> wasn't via a USB hub either). This happened the first time I upgraded it
> when I just did a soft reset as per the on screen instructions, plugged
> it back into the cradle and re-ran the upgrade. But this time it's
> different as it's now completely locked up with the screen unlit and
> just showing "USB" ("Serial" when out of the cradle) at the top, the HP
> logo in the middle and "V1.08" at the bottom of the screen.
> Attempted soft resets, hard resets, rebooting the computer, reloading
> the upgrade software, taking the battery out for about fifteen minutes
> and more, tried other USB ports which weren't on a hub, but all to no
> avail as the PPC just refuses to do anything. Apart from the unlit
> screen it's dead as I'd suspect the ROM is corrupted big time.
> HP Support also couldn't believe that it had crashed big time and talked
> me through what I'd done before but still the same problem persisted.
> Now I'm told that I'll have to send it to HP Service for repair but at
> least it's still under warranty so they can sort out what their upgrade
> software has screwed up.
> Does anyone know how long HP's Service people take to repair the PPC's?
>
>
> Stephen
>
>
>



--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
HTTP://www.xarane.com
======================
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 4:54:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Actually it's a good thing. You upgrade, and the device is
reset to default values during the upgrade. this leaves you
with a sparkly clean PPC, no traces of old installations/errors.
For a PPC it's ok (!albeit that depends on how much software
you personally load onto the device how 'ok' you are with it!).
Most software can be put back with the click of the mouse in ActiveSync,
and your PIM data can be resynchronized from the desktop...
it couldn't be any easier for a PPC.



~S.




"Alistair" <forget_it> wrote in news:10dlkcutfc7350c@corp.supernews.com:


>
> exactly what I meant...how stupid is that???
>




--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
HTTP://www.xarane.com
======================
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 11:11:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Stephen" <newsmail03@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>ACE is correct that using ActiveSync backup has screwed it up for me. It's
>now too late tonight to do anything but I'm now hoping that the same ROM
>upgrade can be run again now that I've used it once to upgrade it.
>

No need. Just do a hard reset and rebuild your machine from scratch.
Do make a backup copy of your *DATA* though, then copy it back when
done.

The backup messed you up because it had pre-ROM 1.10 bits in it. It
would be like restoring a backup of Windows XP to a Windows XP SP1
machine. Total mess.
--
__________________________________________________________________________________
Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
June 26, 2004 6:57:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9514641BF4CB8FearIsTheMindKiller@207.46.248.16...
> Ouch..
> As far as I know, HP's service sends you a box to return the unit in,
> they come pick it up and it'll be returned in about 5 business days.
>
Thanks for the information ACE but I'm actually happy to say that it won't
now be needed. Nevertheless it's still reassuring what to expect if ever I
do need it and I certainly was close to it this time.

So what happened to resurrect the iPAQ 2210 from the dead? Well, after
trying all those things to get it to restart the ROM upgrade and failing I
had a thought. Maybe it was just coincidental I don't know, but I thought to
try it with the USB hub totally unplugged from the computer. Amazingly the
upgrade sparked into life immediately and updated the ROM leaving me once
more with a working PPC.

Interestingly it was also a USB hub that once caused Disk Manager to fail
when copying a hard drive. This time though the PC is different as is the
hub.

Oh well, at least I'm now happy and thanks for your help!


Stephen
June 26, 2004 7:04:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns951464DE7216FFearIsTheMindKiller@207.46.248.16...
> Actually it's a good thing. You upgrade, and the device is
> reset to default values during the upgrade. this leaves you
> with a sparkly clean PPC, no traces of old installations/errors.
> For a PPC it's ok (!albeit that depends on how much software
> you personally load onto the device how 'ok' you are with it!).
> Most software can be put back with the click of the mouse in ActiveSync,
> and your PIM data can be resynchronized from the desktop...
> it couldn't be any easier for a PPC.
>
>
I found that at least it removed all the trial software I'd got on it and
not bothered to remove it after it timed out.

I used the iPAQ Backup program to backup to the SD Card and them removed
this from the PPC to perform the upgrade. After the upgrade I was VERY
selective what I restored from the SD Card. It was just file data such as
documents and notes and definitely not the Registry!

To be honest it took very little time to reload the programs excepting
searching for a key from one of the programs. A typical "safe" place!!


Stephen
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 7:59:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Stephen" <newsmail03@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:eB075V4WEHA.1356@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> "ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns9514641BF4CB8FearIsTheMindKiller@207.46.248.16...
>> Ouch..

<snip>

> Interestingly it was also a USB hub that once caused Disk Manager to fail
> when copying a hard drive. This time though the PC is different as is the
> hub.

I think is say's somewhere in the upgrade instructions not to use a USB bub,
only connect directly. Of course by the time you read the instructions it's
usually too late..;-))

cheers

simon
--
Simon Coupland
Peak District, UK
June 27, 2004 2:18:42 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Simon Coupland" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
news:cbk31f$fg5$1$830fa79d@news.demon.co.uk...
>
>
>
> "Stephen" <newsmail03@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> news:eB075V4WEHA.1356@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > "ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:Xns9514641BF4CB8FearIsTheMindKiller@207.46.248.16...
> >> Ouch..
>
> <snip>
>
> > Interestingly it was also a USB hub that once caused Disk Manager to
fail
> > when copying a hard drive. This time though the PC is different as is
the
> > hub.
>
> I think is say's somewhere in the upgrade instructions not to use a USB
bub,
> only connect directly. Of course by the time you read the instructions
it's
> usually too late..;-))
>
It certainly does say that Simon and, as I'd read the instructions before
commencing the upgrade, I connected it directly into one of the USB ports on
the computer.

The USB hub was still connected to the computer but only with other devices
using it and not the PPC USB lead. After unplugging the USB hub from the
computers port did the upgrade run despite the PPC USB remaining in the same
USB port.


Stephen
Yorkshire UK
June 27, 2004 2:23:17 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices"
<spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote in message
news:jtpqd0h6965u60na6445if5m1selmpcn6i@4ax.com...
> "Stephen" <newsmail03@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> >ACE is correct that using ActiveSync backup has screwed it up for me.
It's
> >now too late tonight to do anything but I'm now hoping that the same ROM
> >upgrade can be run again now that I've used it once to upgrade it.
> >
>
> No need. Just do a hard reset and rebuild your machine from scratch.
> Do make a backup copy of your *DATA* though, then copy it back when
> done.
>
> The backup messed you up because it had pre-ROM 1.10 bits in it. It
> would be like restoring a backup of Windows XP to a Windows XP SP1
> machine. Total mess.
> --
Thanks for the information Ed but I had attempted a hard reset and this did
solve the problem with the Diagnostics but didn't solve the problem with the
hybrid screen.

Anyhow it's now thankfully solved after a very troublesome time reinstalling
the latest ROM v1.10.


Stephen
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 2:23:18 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Stephen" <newsmail03@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the information Ed but I had attempted a hard reset and this did
>solve the problem with the Diagnostics but didn't solve the problem with the
>hybrid screen.

Ahhh.. If you got a hybrid screen after a hard reset, not much to do
but send it to HP. :-(
--
__________________________________________________________________________________
Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
!