Port 1723 Vulnerability?

I just did a security check (from the Symantec website) of our little WLAN
at home. It reported that "Port 1723 was open to attack" (or similar).

The Symantec knowledge base was hopeless, so here I am! I've never opened
this port, so what is the risk here - or are Symantec just trying to sell me
something? (There was a link for their internet security product.)

Cheers,

Chris

(P.S. I'm running WinXP SP2 with a Vigor WiFi ADSL Router, with an Xbox
connected via a D-Link bridge.)

Well, TCP Port 1723 is used for PPTP VPN. If your not running a PPTP VPN server on your network then
close the port. Otherwise use a *STRONG* password for users that have access to your PPTP VPN
server...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Chris Burson" <chrisburson@onetelREMOVE-ME.net.uk> wrote in message
>I just did a security check (from the Symantec website) of our little WLAN
> at home. It reported that "Port 1723 was open to attack" (or similar).
>
> The Symantec knowledge base was hopeless, so here I am! I've never opened
> this port, so what is the risk here - or are Symantec just trying to sell me
> something? (There was a link for their internet security product.)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris
>
> (P.S. I'm running WinXP SP2 with a Vigor WiFi ADSL Router, with an Xbox
> connected via a D-Link bridge.)

Well, since I've never used VPN (and wouldn't know how to), I'll take your
advise and just close the port.

Many thanks for the reply, Al,

Chris

:
: Well, TCP Port 1723 is used for PPTP VPN. If your not running a PPTP VPN
server on your network then
: close the port. Otherwise use a *STRONG* password for users that have
access to your PPTP VPN
: server...
:
: --