USB keyboard dances around an A7M-266M

I recently bought a USB only keyboard. I don't know if it was always
the case, but for some reason I got a USB 2.0 PCI card. In any event I
have a problem: I can't use the keyboard during boot unless I attach it
to the mainboard USB ports. Unfortunately if I do that the keyboard is
not available in Windows (XP Pro).

I'm just speculating here of course, but I suspect this is because the
PCI-card is not configured until Windows does so. However, forcing the
BIOS to configure it again makes the keyboard unavailable in Windows,
regardless of what port it is attached to.

Is there a way to avoid those trips under the desk? Can I have my
keyboard both during boot and once booted?

Thanks for any insights,
Johan

Ben Pope wrote:
> > I can't use the keyboard during boot unless I attach
> > it to the mainboard USB ports. Unfortunately if I do that the
> > keyboard is not available in Windows (XP Pro).

> USB Legacy support?
>
> Why won't the keyboard work under Windows on the normal ports,
anyway?

I'll try legacy support although I don't really see the connection
given what little I know about that option.

I don't know why the keyboard doesn't work in Windows on the normal
ports. One might speculate, given that if I have the BIOS configure the
PCI ports they won't work either, that it involves PnP... somehow. I
really don't know but I would love to find out.

Johan

johanj@ipunplugged.com wrote:
> I recently bought a USB only keyboard. I don't know if it was always
> the case, but for some reason I got a USB 2.0 PCI card. In any event I
> have a problem: I can't use the keyboard during boot unless I attach
> it to the mainboard USB ports. Unfortunately if I do that the
> keyboard is not available in Windows (XP Pro).
>
> I'm just speculating here of course, but I suspect this is because the
> PCI-card is not configured until Windows does so. However, forcing the
> BIOS to configure it again makes the keyboard unavailable in Windows,
> regardless of what port it is attached to.
>
> Is there a way to avoid those trips under the desk? Can I have my
> keyboard both during boot and once booted?

USB Legacy support?

Why won't the keyboard work under Windows on the normal ports, anyway?

Ben