Mike

Splendid

When I reconnect my laptop to my usb devices after
traveling I go through the process of "Found New
Hardware" and am prompted to install the software that
has already been installed. Is there any way to convince
XP that the software is already installed and that
reinstallation is not needed? What a pain.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Usually, It goes something like this.
Obtain all available updated drivers for the devices and the laptop,
including any BIOS updates.
Complete (install) any BIOS updates.
Remove any and all external USB device drivers. Remove any USB subsystem
drivers.
Reboot, and reinstall updated USB port drivers. This may take more than one
reboot.
Reinstall the external USB device drivers. Check for proper operation before
you install the next external device driver.
Remember to follow the external device driver instructions concenring when
the device is to be plugged into the USB port and when it should be powered
up.

The symptom you have is that of a device driver that was not installed
properly. The related registry entries may also be munged. Disable any
antivirus protection and antiaddware during the driver install process.
(Stay off the internet with the antivirus disabled.)
Last but not least, a backup is a good idea before you start.

"Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I reconnect my laptop to my usb devices after
> traveling I go through the process of "Found New
> Hardware" and am prompted to install the software that
> has already been installed. Is there any way to convince
> XP that the software is already installed and that
> reinstallation is not needed? What a pain.

---
Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.