A7N8X DX doesn't start up with new BARTON

I have setup with Asus A7N8X Deluxe 2.0 MB and currently 1300+ CPU. I
am trying to upgrade it to Barton. I tried a few months ago, and I am
trying again now. All tree times I have the same result.

After I change CPU, and try to turn on system, it will stays on for
about 1-2 sec, and then turns itself off. MB says "System failed..."
and systems turns off. First two times (it was retailed version of CPU)
I thought that CPU was bad, but third bad CPU? Last two times, retailed
tested it later and told me that CPU was good.

I had single PC2100 RAM, and I though that it was the problem, so I
upgraded to dual PC3200, and it still be the same result.

Any recommendation what can be the problem?

Thanks,

Vadim

PS: For power supply I am using Antec True550
(http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=20550). In the
system I have GeForce FX5200, 2 SATA, 2 ATA, 2 CD-ROM, 1 CDRW, 1 DVD+R,
Linksys Wireless G-PCI adapter. I disabled all USB for now. However,
True550 should be able to handle all this.

Only if I would type more carefully :)

I upgraded BIOS to 1008 a few days ago.

Ed

On 28 Feb 2005 09:39:10 -0800, "Vadim" <vadimnews@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have setup with Asus A7N8X Deluxe 2.0 MB and currently 1300+ CPU. I
>am trying to upgrade it to Barton. I tried a few months ago, and I am
>trying again now. All tree times I have the same result.
>
>After I change CPU, and try to turn on system, it will stays on for
>about 1-2 sec, and then turns itself off. MB says "System failed..."
>and systems turns off. First two times (it was retailed version of CPU)
>I thought that CPU was bad, but third bad CPU? Last two times, retailed
>tested it later and told me that CPU was good.
>
>I had single PC2100 RAM, and I though that it was the problem, so I
>upgraded to dual PC3200, and it still be the same result.
>
>Any recommendation what can be the problem?
>

>Thanks,
>
>Vadim
>
>PS: For power supply I am using Antec True550
>(http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=20550). In the
>system I have GeForce FX5200, 2 SATA, 2 ATA, 2 CD-ROM, 1 CDRW, 1 DVD+R,
>Linksys Wireless G-PCI adapter. I disabled all USB for now. However,
>True550 should be able to handle all this.

How about the CPU_FSB jumper?, set to 266/333/400 (not 200).

BIOS setting for 3200+....
CPU External Freq. MHz [200]
CPU Frequency Multiple [11.0x]
Memory Frequency [100%] (run ram in sync with CPU bus(200MHz))
CPU Vcore [1.65V]
AGP Frequency [66MHz] or [Auto]
System BIOS Cacheable [Disabled]
Video RAM Cacheable [Disabled]
DDR Reference Voltage [2.6V]
AGP VDDQ Voltage [1.5]

Ed

Dino

after you have put in the processor...have you ever unplugged the power and
reset the CMOS to see if it will boot?

Vadim wrote:
> I have setup with Asus A7N8X Deluxe 2.0 MB and currently 1300+ CPU. I
> am trying to upgrade it to Barton. I tried a few months ago, and I am
> trying again now. All tree times I have the same result.

What BIOS version do you have ?

Find you motherboard here to see the minimum BIOS version for
each processor:
http://www.asus.it/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

--
Every cloud has a silver lining, even if you sometimes
have to drop a little acid before you can see it.

Ed

On 28 Feb 2005 14:57:09 -0800, "Vadim" <vadimnews@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Yes, I did. Same result.

You sure it's not Asus COP shutting it off?
On my plain jane A7N8X if the heatsink isn't making good contact with
the CPU die on power up it just beeps once (case speaker) and shuts off.

Ed

irv

Distinguished
May 27, 2004

i stupidly forgot to remove the plastic stick-on sheet on the bottom of the
heat sink. i used another heatsink at that time lately i looked at the heat
sink and found the pull off tab for the plastic sheet.. will wonders never
cease

> You sure it's not Asus COP shutting it off?
> On my plain jane A7N8X if the heatsink isn't making good contact with
> the CPU die on power up it just beeps once (case speaker) and shuts off.
>
> Ed

I just got new thermal compound and I want to try this next. Hopefully
it will help.

Vadim

Finally I solved the mastery. I got new thermal compound, reapplied it
to the fan, and everything started to work. Seems like, CPU was not
making good thermal contact, and MB decided that it was heating up too
fast.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Vadim,

Ed

On 1 Mar 2005 21:41:48 -0800, "Vadim" <vadimnews@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Finally I solved the mastery. I got new thermal compound, reapplied it
>to the fan, and everything started to work. Seems like, CPU was not
>making good thermal contact, and MB decided that it was heating up too
>fast.
>
>Anyway, thanks for the help.
>
>Vadim,

Glad to hear you got it going!