A7N8X Deluxe V2.0 - Problem with PWR_FAN1 Connector

Great board, but I'm having a little problem with the board reading the
operation and fan speed on connector PWR_FAN1.

The fan works fine, but whether I use MBM or AsusProbe it shows it shows 0
rpm's and that the fan isn't functioning. The CHA_FAN1 next to it works
fine and reports rpm, etc. perfectly.

Have tried various fans and switching between connectors so I know the
problem is the connector, not a fan.

Q-fan is turned off.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Bill

> Any ideas? Thanks.

Are you using a large/slow or variable-speed fan with this header?

For some reason, speeds lower than around 1,500 RPM (just my guesstimate)
don't register with programs that monitor that header, or the other fan
headers, even if BIOS shows the fan spinning. <shrug>

I sent Asus lots of e-mails suggesting that they start realizing that many
of us are now using large (92 or 120mm), slow-spinning fans that take longer
to spin up to speed, but they still insist on writing BIOS files that don't
allow even a millisecond for that to happen before bringing up the Asus
nun-with-the-ruler (LOL) to tell us that the CPU fan isn't spinning, or
isn't spinning at 7,000 RPM. Luckily, she can be silenced.

I also mentioned that the BIOS will frequently show RPM readings for
slow-spinning fans, but that those readings don't show in programs that
monitor important things such as, er, um...dead fans.

No reply. I gave up. <another shrug>

Long-winded, but HTH... It *is* a great board.

Yes, I'm using a 120mm fan with a speed controller. The fan actually runs
at about 1,200 rpm. I did try cranking it up to 2,000 rpm and it still made
no difference.

Also tried an 2,500 rpm 80mm but the header still won't recognize it.

"JonnyCab®" <shutout39@localnetnospam.com> wrote in message
>> Any ideas? Thanks.
>>

> Are you using a large/slow or variable-speed fan with this header?
>
> For some reason, speeds lower than around 1,500 RPM (just my guesstimate)
> don't register with programs that monitor that header, or the other fan
> headers, even if BIOS shows the fan spinning. <shrug>
>
> I sent Asus lots of e-mails suggesting that they start realizing that many
> of us are now using large (92 or 120mm), slow-spinning fans that take
> longer
> to spin up to speed, but they still insist on writing BIOS files that
> don't
> allow even a millisecond for that to happen before bringing up the Asus
> nun-with-the-ruler (LOL) to tell us that the CPU fan isn't spinning, or
> isn't spinning at 7,000 RPM. Luckily, she can be silenced.
>
> I also mentioned that the BIOS will frequently show RPM readings for
> slow-spinning fans, but that those readings don't show in programs that
> monitor important things such as, er, um...dead fans.
>
> No reply. I gave up. <another shrug>
>
> Long-winded, but HTH... It *is* a great board.

Actually, none of the fans register in the BIOS. They all show zero rpm.
But all thre are working properly, and all three are large diameter slow
turning fans. I've built it to be as silent as possible.

"Bill_Phillips" <bill_phillips@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Great board, but I'm having a little problem with the board reading the
> operation and fan speed on connector PWR_FAN1.
>
> The fan works fine, but whether I use MBM or AsusProbe it shows it shows 0
> rpm's and that the fan isn't functioning. The CHA_FAN1 next to it works
> fine and reports rpm, etc. perfectly.
>
> Have tried various fans and switching between connectors so I know the
> problem is the connector, not a fan.
>
> Q-fan is turned off.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks.
>
> Bill

Actually, he's saying that the fans don't register *anywhere*, not just in
programs.

Do you have health monitoring enabled in BIOS? I haven't been in the BIOS
in a few months, and not in that section for even longer (LOL), but I think
that needs to be enabled to work...

HTH...

Nero

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2003

IF a fan runs at 1200 rpm then you cannot"crank it up" as trhat is it's max
speed.