XP Lockup when cpu runs at rated speed

Mike

Splendid

Built a new system, AMD XP2700+ FSB, XP will lock up after
30 sec., but when I slow down the processor to 266 instead
of 333 then everything is OK. BUT when I hooked up a HD
with Win2003 server, I can run forever at the higher
processor speed.... I am confused... HELP

How are the temps on this system? XP can cause more heat than 2003 at
default settings which may be the cause of your problems. The stock
cooling usually isn't adequate.

Also, have you tried installing Windows XP with the processor set to the
333 FSB? It may be that XP doesn't like changing from 266 to 333 ;)

----
Nathan McNulty

Mike wrote:
> Built a new system, AMD XP2700+ FSB, XP will lock up after
> 30 sec., but when I slow down the processor to 266 instead
> of 333 then everything is OK. BUT when I hooked up a HD
> with Win2003 server, I can run forever at the higher
> processor speed.... I am confused... HELP

Mike

Splendid

Nathan, Thanks for the response. I get the same response hot or cold, and
the temp seems to remain around 107F. This locks up after I open the second
or third window.... but not at the lower cpu speed

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> How are the temps on this system? XP can cause more heat than 2003 at
> default settings which may be the cause of your problems. The stock
> cooling usually isn't adequate.
>
> Also, have you tried installing Windows XP with the processor set to the
> 333 FSB? It may be that XP doesn't like changing from 266 to 333 ;)
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> Mike wrote:
> > Built a new system, AMD XP2700+ FSB, XP will lock up after
> > 30 sec., but when I slow down the processor to 266 instead
> > of 333 then everything is OK. BUT when I hooked up a HD
> > with Win2003 server, I can run forever at the higher
> > processor speed.... I am confused... HELP

Well, heat isn't the problem here. Have you tried seeing if this
problem exists in Safe Mode? Also, did you install XP with the FSB at
266 or 333? May want to try different (newer or older) chipset drivers
and see if that helps. Not really sure since 2003 works flawlessly.
Finally, how are you doing on updates? I would suggest installing
Service Pack 2 which was just released and see if that helps at all. You
can get it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

----
Nathan McNulty