my dell pc came with 128MB pc2100 ram. if i replace that with 512MB of pc2700
ram, the 512 stick with just run at the 2100 speed, correct? the reason i
would go with the 2700 is cost, there are rebates everywhere for it and
nothing for 2100. i dont care about the speed, just the quantity of ram. sso,
can i use pc2700 ram in a pc2100 mobo with no problems?

peter

Not exactly, if the mobo BIOS can support PC2700 then it can run at that
speed.
You may go to Dell website to update the mobo BIOS.
Remember, never use mixed ram in the same PC.

Peter

"j" wrote:

> my dell pc came with 128MB pc2100 ram. if i replace that with 512MB of pc2700
> ram, the 512 stick with just run at the 2100 speed, correct? the reason i
> would go with the 2700 is cost, there are rebates everywhere for it and
> nothing for 2100. i dont care about the speed, just the quantity of ram. sso,
> can i use pc2700 ram in a pc2100 mobo with no problems?

Peter, I think the OP is asking if he were to buy a stick of PC2700 RAM
and put it in with an existing stick of PC2100, would it all run at
PC2100 speeds without any problems. You said never use mixed RAM in the
same computer. That is definetly not true unless you are talking about
mixing DDR and SDRAM or ECC and non-ECC RAM.

To answer the OP's question, PC2700 is backwards compatible meaning that
it can run at PC2100 speed. It is possible that you may run into some
issues if the BIOS does not support the stick of PC2700 RAM, but this is
not the norm. I would suggest trying it and if it doesn't work, just
return the RAM. What you want to do will work as long as the
motherboard accepts the new stick of RAM.

It is true that your memory will be limited to PC2100 speeds, but you
will be able to use all 640 MB of RAM. I would highly recommend just
using the 512 MB of PC2700 as the performance benefits of running the
memroy at 333 MHz outweigh the benefits of having an extra 128 MB of
RAM. I am fairly confident when I tell you that you don't need much
more than 512 MB of RAM unless you are doing multimedia editing. I do
this kind of editing and only use 512 MB of RAM and it works fine for me ;)

----
Nathan McNulty