front-audio connector standards

milleron

I'm preparing to start building a new PC. I do it about every three
years, and the last time I did this was before front-audio connectors
were common.
These audio connectors are supposedly billed as "Intel standard," but
even though both motherboard and case claim the standard, it seems
like most users have trouble getting them to work.
Is the "Intel standard" front-audio connector a myth? If it's a
"standard," don't all of the connectors claiming it have to be built
the same way? Obviously, they aren't, so I'm hoping someone can tell
me what's up with this problem.

Thanks.
Ron

Paul

Splendid

In article <hp97219d0dbiu2f57t5rtm1o5gchhgab94@4ax.com>,
millerdot90@osu.edu wrote:

> I'm preparing to start building a new PC. I do it about every three
> years, and the last time I did this was before front-audio connectors
> were common.
> These audio connectors are supposedly billed as "Intel standard," but
> even though both motherboard and case claim the standard, it seems
> like most users have trouble getting them to work.
> Is the "Intel standard" front-audio connector a myth? If it's a
> "standard," don't all of the connectors claiming it have to be built
> the same way? Obviously, they aren't, so I'm hoping someone can tell
> me what's up with this problem.
>
> Thanks.
> Ron

I get the impression there are more cases that don't meet the
standard, than ones that do. And it is hard to get real info
on the wiring anyway, so you cannot easily verify what you are
buying in advance.

An Asus J-Panel will solve this problem, assuming you can still
buy one:

http://www.office-trade.com/pdf/B99Z429.pdf

HTH,
Paul

Each case manufacturer and motherboard manufacturer uses their own system.
They frequently do not even use the same number of pins.

--
DaveW

"milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote in message
> I'm preparing to start building a new PC. I do it about every three
> years, and the last time I did this was before front-audio connectors
> were common.
> These audio connectors are supposedly billed as "Intel standard," but
> even though both motherboard and case claim the standard, it seems
> like most users have trouble getting them to work.
> Is the "Intel standard" front-audio connector a myth? If it's a
> "standard," don't all of the connectors claiming it have to be built
> the same way? Obviously, they aren't, so I'm hoping someone can tell
> me what's up with this problem.
>
> Thanks.
> Ron

Yea, theyre a real prick to get working if theres no standardisation. Mobo
manuals are pretty much useless unless the FPAudio headers follow them. Ive
recently made 2 new pc's, both luckily almost used the same standard (extra
ground anyone?) and it was a relatively easy install. FPAudio headers which
dont include a way for the mobo to make use of the Front Panel Audio Volume
wheels is... fubar.