K7M Ram Problem

A friend gave me an old motherboard (K7M) with a 500MHz Athlon CPU. I
haven't had an issue with the motherboard except where the ram is concerned.

All I have to put in it is all single sided dimms. 128's and 256's.
But it will only recognize half of any of them.

Is double sided the only kind of ram this board can use or could this be
a symptom of something else?

Ed

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 01:29:02 GMT, Xanophile <xanophile@gmail.com> wrote:

>A friend gave me an old motherboard (K7M) with a 500MHz Athlon CPU. I
>haven't had an issue with the motherboard except where the ram is concerned.
>
>All I have to put in it is all single sided dimms. 128's and 256's.
>But it will only recognize half of any of them.
>
>Is double sided the only kind of ram this board can use or could this be
>a symptom of something else?

Maybe Paul can help? :)
Heres' an older post of his about ram and the K7M.
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus/browse_frm/thread/cf1c2425e081f7fe/9713d46c28fc80ce?tvc=1&q=K7M+crucial&_done=%2Fgroups%3Fq%3DK7M+crucial%26qt_s%3DSearch+Groups%26&_doneTitle=Back+to+Search&scrollSave=&&d#9713d46c28fc80ce

Ed

Paul

Splendid

In article <yzPUd.13628$LN5.459@edtnps90>, Xanophile <xanophile@gmail.com>
wrote:

> A friend gave me an old motherboard (K7M) with a 500MHz Athlon CPU. I
> haven't had an issue with the motherboard except where the ram is concerned.
>
> All I have to put in it is all single sided dimms. 128's and 256's.
> But it will only recognize half of any of them.
>
> Is double sided the only kind of ram this board can use or could this be
> a symptom of something else?

AMD751 Northbridge datasheet - page 66 covers the memory controller.
http://cdrom.amd.com/21860/21910.pdf

In the table on page 66, the third from the bottom row of the
table, is the key to making 128MB and 256MB unbuffered modules.
(The row above it, would allow a 512MB module to be constructed,
but it would have 32 chips, and would fry the memory controller,
and as an unbuffered module, such a design is not viable.)

8-Bit Wide Device (Four Banks x 4 Mbits) = 16Mbit x 8
8 devices
128 Mbytes total
Bank address bits = 2//MA12-13
Rows = 12 address bits
Columns = 10 address bits

Here is an example of the right kind of memory chip. In the
column labelled "16Mx8", you can see it has 12 row bits and
10 column bits.
http://download.micron.com/pdf/datasheets/dram/sdram/128MSDRAM.pdf

Here is a properly constructed 256MB DIMM for K7M. Found via
the www.kingston.com search engine for RAM for motherboards.
Uses (16) 16Mx8 chips for 256MB. Would use (8) 16Mx8 chips
if it was only a single sided 128MB module. In other words,
to make a 256MB module that works, it has to be double sided.
A 128MB module can be single sided, if the chips are 16Mx8 chips.
(As I understand it, the reason Kingston dispenses PC100 for
this application, is there is some kind of timing difference
between the chips. At least I think that is why they do that.
I don't think it has to do with the logical dimensions of the
chips.)

http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KVR100X64C2_256.pdf

I realize this doesn't help you too much, except to note that
if you looked up information about the memory chips (by using the
numbers and letters on the chips), you could get enough info
to determine whether the modules are addressable by that
Northbridge.

This is typically referred to, in postings to this group,
as the difference between "high density" and "low density"
RAM. If you look up info on the chips, then you have a
better chance of understanding whether the right chips are
on the modules or not.

HTH,
Paul

Paul wrote:
> In article <yzPUd.13628$LN5.459@edtnps90>, Xanophile <xanophile@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>A friend gave me an old motherboard (K7M) with a 500MHz Athlon CPU. I
>>haven't had an issue with the motherboard except where the ram is concerned.
>>
>>All I have to put in it is all single sided dimms. 128's and 256's.
>>But it will only recognize half of any of them.
>>
>>Is double sided the only kind of ram this board can use or could this be
>>a symptom of something else?
>

> AMD751 Northbridge datasheet - page 66 covers the memory controller.
> http://cdrom.amd.com/21860/21910.pdf
>
> In the table on page 66, the third from the bottom row of the
> table, is the key to making 128MB and 256MB unbuffered modules.
> (The row above it, would allow a 512MB module to be constructed,
> but it would have 32 chips, and would fry the memory controller,
> and as an unbuffered module, such a design is not viable.)
>
> 8-Bit Wide Device (Four Banks x 4 Mbits) = 16Mbit x 8
> 8 devices
> 128 Mbytes total
> Bank address bits = 2//MA12-13
> Rows = 12 address bits
> Columns = 10 address bits
>
> Here is an example of the right kind of memory chip. In the
> column labelled "16Mx8", you can see it has 12 row bits and
> 10 column bits.
> http://download.micron.com/pdf/datasheets/dram/sdram/128MSDRAM.pdf
>
> Here is a properly constructed 256MB DIMM for K7M. Found via
> the www.kingston.com search engine for RAM for motherboards.
> Uses (16) 16Mx8 chips for 256MB. Would use (8) 16Mx8 chips
> if it was only a single sided 128MB module. In other words,
> to make a 256MB module that works, it has to be double sided.
> A 128MB module can be single sided, if the chips are 16Mx8 chips.
> (As I understand it, the reason Kingston dispenses PC100 for
> this application, is there is some kind of timing difference
> between the chips. At least I think that is why they do that.
> I don't think it has to do with the logical dimensions of the
> chips.)
>
> http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KVR100X64C2_256.pdf
>
> I realize this doesn't help you too much, except to note that
> if you looked up information about the memory chips (by using the
> numbers and letters on the chips), you could get enough info
> to determine whether the modules are addressable by that
> Northbridge.
>
> This is typically referred to, in postings to this group,
> as the difference between "high density" and "low density"
> RAM. If you look up info on the chips, then you have a
> better chance of understanding whether the right chips are
> on the modules or not.
>
> HTH,
> Paul

That's a whole lot of reading, but the gist of it, I get. Something to
pay attnetion to. Thanks.