Disappearing hard drive

I'm using XP Professional and am having an intermittant problem.
Sometimes when I boot up, my d: drive doesn't show up. I can see from
the BIOS boot sequence that the computer sees both drives. If I
reboot, the d: drive reappears.
I've gone into Disk Management and both drives have drive numbers. Of
course, when the d: drive is missing after bootup that drive doesn't
show up at all, so I can't assign a drive letter. These are both
Western Digital drives - the c: drive is a 20-gig and the d: drive is
a 120-gig partioned into two drives.

ben

Hello

well maybe could be a faulty drive, why not relaod the drive and
make the 120hd your primary drive and keep the 20hd as your
backup. Somethign to just think about

Alvin

atDFN wrote:

> I'm using XP Professional and am having an intermittant problem.
> Sometimes when I boot up, my d: drive doesn't show up. I can see from
> the BIOS boot sequence that the computer sees both drives. If I
> reboot, the d: drive reappears.
> I've gone into Disk Management and both drives have drive numbers. Of
> course, when the d: drive is missing after bootup that drive doesn't
> show up at all, so I can't assign a drive letter. These are both
> Western Digital drives - the c: drive is a 20-gig and the d: drive is
> a 120-gig partioned into two drives.
>
> ben

norm

I had a similar experience with a 120 gb WD drive. In my case it wouldn't
show up in the bios so obviously XP isn't going to see it. If it the
computer was left on for 5-10 minutes and rebooted then it would finally
show up and run perfectly. Got it replaced with an RMA from WD and although
the new one works better, I have had similar problems again with it but for
now it appears to be working fine. I even tried the first drive on my
wife's pc running 98se and the bios wouldn't see it either. Doesn't give me
a warm and fuzzy feeling about it, never had any problems with the many
Maxtor's I've used.