A8N-SLI deluxe suggestions an help.

HI

Have just sold my P4 and am about to buy a new CPU, MB and RAM.
The board that seems attractive is the Asus A8N-E Deluxe or MSI K8N Ultra
with a 3500 Winchester
CPU. I will be using the machine for Video / Photo work so I need 2 MB RAM.
Is there a performance gain in buying 4*512 MB modules instead of two 1024MB
mudules?
Is the 3500 a lt faster than a 3200, have heard that the 3200 is a lot
easier to overclock.
I will not use the machine for games, don't even own a game apart from the
ones bundled with XP so I plan to buy an ATI 700Pro graphics card. Is this a
wise choice or am I better off going for a Nvidia based card such as the
6600GT or will the cheapest ATI (300) card do just as well and I can spend
the extra cash on a faster CPU?
Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks.

Ed

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 23:27:32 +0100, "Harald" <sonjaogharald@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>HI
>
>Have just sold my P4 and am about to buy a new CPU, MB and RAM.
>The board that seems attractive is the Asus A8N-E Deluxe or MSI K8N Ultra
>with a 3500 Winchester
>CPU. I will be using the machine for Video / Photo work so I need 2 MB RAM.
>Is there a performance gain in buying 4*512 MB modules instead of two 1024MB
>mudules?
>Is the 3500 a lt faster than a 3200, have heard that the 3200 is a lot
>easier to overclock.
>I will not use the machine for games, don't even own a game apart from the
>ones bundled with XP so I plan to buy an ATI 700Pro graphics card. Is this a
>wise choice or am I better off going for a Nvidia based card such as the
>6600GT or will the cheapest ATI (300) card do just as well and I can spend
>the extra cash on a faster CPU?
>Any suggestions welcomed.
>
>Thanks.

The Asus K8N-SLI was completely stable at 2-2-2-7 memory timings. We did
have to lower the Command Rate to 2T, but this is a function of the
on-chip Athlon 64 memory controller. It is rumored that upcoming Rev. E
chips will have an updated memory controller capable of driving 4 DIMMs
at 1T command rate, which would definitely improve memory performance
when running 4 DIMMs.
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2358&p=5

Does Ram Latency Matter?

The 3500+ and the 3000+ (90nm) both topped out at about 2.6GHz with
default or modestly increased CPU voltage and air cooling.
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2242

The maximum frequency we managed to achieve by overclocking AMD Athlon
64 3500+ on Winchester core appeared 2.618GHz.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-90nm_4.html

Hi Harald,

regarding RAM, I would go two 1Gb sticks as you can add two more later, when
you realise that two gigs are nice but four is much better :)

currently looking myself for two more gigs to add in my system. where two
isn't enough.

as you are not a gamer , just like myself, I would look at Matrox cards - no
they will not play at 100+fps but they do provide you with the best image
quality + the good features for multiply monitors.

get a good harddrive sub system - RAID, scsi and or perhaps RAPTORS as a
cheaper solution. hmmm, jeg ser at du er dansker?! jeg er i australien!

remember your system is only as good as your weakest link.

best regards/hilsen

Henrik
A Dane Down under

PS: is there any evidence that SLI is more beneficial for 2D imaging then
the traditional single vga card?