how is this secured?

julzizhr

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2003
Hi everyone. I have an odd question...i know shocker that happening here. I'm in school right now just got done w/my networking+ class and my teacher says he'll give $20 to who ever can get the answer to this so i'm on a mission...lol ok so anyway, he was in walmart and they have a wireless cisco network running in there. He was trying to get a trace on the network just to see if they have it secured. It came up as no network setup at all. Like it doesn't exsist at all. He's thinking it's possibly setup to only recognize certain mac addresses but he's not sure. Anyone have any ideas on how it's secured?
Thanx,
Juli

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
sure, I'm doing that at home. My WAP will only allow the MAC addresses I've configured onto the LAN. Now of course the way to get around that would be to spoof the MAC address. But thats not part of the original question. Hope you get the $20

For more info on what I'm talking about check out my AP <A HREF="http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=501" target="_new">Linksys WAP11</A> and click on the "User Guide", then go to page 26.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

kwebb68

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2002
They've also turned broadcast SSID off. Depends on what kind of software he's using to sniff but turning the SSID broadcast off is step number one. MAC addy filtering will only disallow the NIC from associating to the AP, it won't hide the network to most of the wireless sniffing software. So, if you go in there saying it's MAC address filtering that hides your network you'll go home empty handed.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kwebb68 on 02/06/03 01:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

TRENDING THREADS