IRQ change in Device Manager

After installing a Creative SB Live soundcard in order to
use with legacy games where IRQ is linited to 5 10-11 13-
15, I found that "Plug 'n' Pray" was assingning virtual
IRQs of 16 or 21 which won't work. When I went to Device
Manager/Sound, Video and Game Controllers/SB Live and
clicked Properties and went to the Resources tab to
change the IRQ ACCORDING TO MICROSOFT'S OWN INSTRUCTIONS,
I found that I could not uncheck the "Use Automatic
Settings" checkbox to change the IRQ. Help? I remember
that one has more control when logged on
as "administrator" but, since I never created a password
for that account when I originally installed XP, I cannot
now logon as "administrator" and this may be part of the
problem even though MS says Administrator group has all
access-that is not correct. Thanks for any help.

Matt
3 answers Last reply
More about change device manager

    Don't blame it all on windows! Your BIOS likely has settings that will
    enable or disable the ability to change IRQ and similar settings. The slot
    that the sound card was installed can also have an impact on which IRQ is
    assigned.

    By default, my MBD BIOS tends to stick things together.
    In this case the sound IRQ is all the way to the end at 22. Since the sound
    system is integrated, there isn't much hope that moving it would be
    successful.

    IRQ 0 System timer OK
    IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
    IRQ 3 Communications Port (COM2) OK
    IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
    IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
    IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
    IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
    IRQ 11 NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management OK
    IRQ 12 Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse (IntelliPoint) OK
    IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
    IRQ 14 NVIDIA nForce 2 ATA Controller (v2.5) OK
    IRQ 15 NVIDIA nForce 2 ATA Controller (v2.5) OK
    IRQ 19 RADEON 9200 SERIES OK
    IRQ 20 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller OK
    IRQ 20 NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio Codec Interface OK
    IRQ 21 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller OK
    IRQ 21 NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller OK
    IRQ 21 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK
    IRQ 22 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller OK
    IRQ 22 NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) MCP Audio Processing Unit (Dolby(R) Digital) OK

    "Matt" <mattcalled@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > After installing a Creative SB Live soundcard in order to
    > use with legacy games where IRQ is linited to 5 10-11 13-
    > 15, I found that "Plug 'n' Pray" was assingning virtual
    > IRQs of 16 or 21 which won't work. When I went to Device
    > Manager/Sound, Video and Game Controllers/SB Live and
    > clicked Properties and went to the Resources tab to
    > change the IRQ ACCORDING TO MICROSOFT'S OWN INSTRUCTIONS,
    > I found that I could not uncheck the "Use Automatic
    > Settings" checkbox to change the IRQ. Help? I remember
    > that one has more control when logged on
    > as "administrator" but, since I never created a password
    > for that account when I originally installed XP, I cannot
    > now logon as "administrator" and this may be part of the
    > problem even though MS says Administrator group has all
    > access-that is not correct. Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Matt

    ---
    Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.

    Basically, first check your BIOS and see if you can assign the proper
    IRQ in there. Second, try putting it in a different PCI Slot. That may
    seem too simple, but that will usually fix this problem ;)

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Chuck wrote:
    > Don't blame it all on windows! Your BIOS likely has settings that will
    > enable or disable the ability to change IRQ and similar settings. The slot
    > that the sound card was installed can also have an impact on which IRQ is
    > assigned.
    >
    > By default, my MBD BIOS tends to stick things together.
    > In this case the sound IRQ is all the way to the end at 22. Since the sound
    > system is integrated, there isn't much hope that moving it would be
    > successful.
    >
    > IRQ 0 System timer OK
    > IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
    > IRQ 3 Communications Port (COM2) OK
    > IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
    > IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
    > IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
    > IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
    > IRQ 11 NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management OK
    > IRQ 12 Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse (IntelliPoint) OK
    > IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
    > IRQ 14 NVIDIA nForce 2 ATA Controller (v2.5) OK
    > IRQ 15 NVIDIA nForce 2 ATA Controller (v2.5) OK
    > IRQ 19 RADEON 9200 SERIES OK
    > IRQ 20 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller OK
    > IRQ 20 NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio Codec Interface OK
    > IRQ 21 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller OK
    > IRQ 21 NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller OK
    > IRQ 21 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK
    > IRQ 22 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller OK
    > IRQ 22 NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) MCP Audio Processing Unit (Dolby(R) Digital) OK
    >
    > "Matt" <mattcalled@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>After installing a Creative SB Live soundcard in order to
    >>use with legacy games where IRQ is linited to 5 10-11 13-
    >>15, I found that "Plug 'n' Pray" was assingning virtual
    >>IRQs of 16 or 21 which won't work. When I went to Device
    >>Manager/Sound, Video and Game Controllers/SB Live and
    >>clicked Properties and went to the Resources tab to
    >>change the IRQ ACCORDING TO MICROSOFT'S OWN INSTRUCTIONS,
    >>I found that I could not uncheck the "Use Automatic
    >>Settings" checkbox to change the IRQ. Help? I remember
    >>that one has more control when logged on
    >>as "administrator" but, since I never created a password
    >>for that account when I originally installed XP, I cannot
    >>now logon as "administrator" and this may be part of the
    >>problem even though MS says Administrator group has all
    >>access-that is not correct. Thanks for any help.
    >>
    >>Matt
    >

    > ---
    > Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.

    The BIOS is in APIC mode and Windows has got ACPI HAL. Only Standard HAL
    permits the manual resource assignement from within Windows, i.e. from
    Device Manager, and reinstall is the only way to get Standard HAL.
    Currently you can read the motherboard manual, dig in the BIOS settings, and
    try to assign IRQ to the particular PCI bus slot or swap SB between the
    slots and see what IRQ the BIOS assigns to it.

    P.S. IIRC, SB Live! should have something similar to 'Creative Miscellaneous
    Devices' and 'Creative SB16 Emulation' in Device Manager.

    The SB Live! card takes two interrupt requests (IRQ's), one is IRQ5 which
    defaults to the SB 16 emulation and the other is of the higher range 9,10 or
    11 for the SB Live! entry under Sound, Video and Game controllers in the
    Device Manager. If a motherboard does not have ISA slots, the BIOS assigns
    all IRQs to PCI. Therefore, you need to change the BIOS setting in order to
    assign an ISA IRQ to the card's SB16 Emulation. It is recommended to reserve
    IRQ 5 for legacy device in your BIOS settings.

Device Manager Microsoft Windows XP