windows XP detects wrong amount of RAM - P4B533 motherboard

Hello all,

I have a problem with my ASUS P4B533 motherboard. I have a total of 1
Gb RAM (1x512, 2x 256). I have put the modules on the motherboard as
recommended in the manual (the double-sided (512) in slot 0 and the
other ones in slots 1 and 2). BIOS displays the right amount (1024 Mb),
but WinXp only sees 232 Mb!!!
I have installed Everest to check BIOS versions, etc, and it detects
correctly 1x512 and 2x256.

I tried every possible combination of 1,2 and 3 RAM modules, and WinXP
would not display anything but 232 Mb. Even when the 512 module is put
alone in slot 0!!!

I need help to answer thess questions (in decreasing order of
importance):
- How can I get WinXP to acknowledge the presence of my 1 Gb of RAM?
- Why is it displaying 232 Mb and not 256?
- Why oh why oh god why???

Any help appreciated

Nav

PS: my config

ASUS P4B533 (BIOS v. 1015, updated)
Celeron 1.8 GHz
ATI Rage Fury 128 (32 Mb RAM)
Windows XP Pro

Paul

Splendid

In article <1109831788.048218.22210@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
navhpf@gmail.com wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a problem with my ASUS P4B533 motherboard. I have a total of 1
> Gb RAM (1x512, 2x 256). I have put the modules on the motherboard as
> recommended in the manual (the double-sided (512) in slot 0 and the
> other ones in slots 1 and 2). BIOS displays the right amount (1024 Mb),
> but WinXp only sees 232 Mb!!!
> I have installed Everest to check BIOS versions, etc, and it detects
> correctly 1x512 and 2x256.
>
> I tried every possible combination of 1,2 and 3 RAM modules, and WinXP
> would not display anything but 232 Mb. Even when the 512 module is put
> alone in slot 0!!!
>
> I need help to answer thess questions (in decreasing order of
> importance):
> - How can I get WinXP to acknowledge the presence of my 1 Gb of RAM?
> - Why is it displaying 232 Mb and not 256?
> - Why oh why oh god why???
>
> Any help appreciated
>
> Nav
>

> PS: my config
>
> ASUS P4B533 (BIOS v. 1015, updated)
> Celeron 1.8 GHz
> ATI Rage Fury 128 (32 Mb RAM)
> Windows XP Pro

I would get a copy of memtest86 from www.memtest.org .
That program will format a blank floppy for you.
Then, you boot from the floppy and the test will begin.
No errors are acceptable.

If you find errors, test the sticks one by one in slot1.

You have to be careful about slot2 and slot3. They share
control signals, and if a double sided stick is used
in slot2, no RAM can be used in slot3. Maybe the 256MB
sticks are double rank DIMMS ? I would hope the BIOS
would detect the module type, before attempting to
use them.

In any case, I bet memtest86 is going to find something.

Paul

navhpf@gmail.com - news:1109831788.048218.22210@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com
:

> BIOS displays the right amount (1024
> Mb), but WinXp only sees 232 Mb!!!

Run Msconfig, go to Boot.ini tab, click Advanced options, make sure that the
checkbox for the /MAXMEM= line is clear.

what brand and sizes are each module ?
I suspect one of the modules is causing the problem and you may wish
to try and set the timings manually to the lowest dimm setting
supported. Alternatly, boot with the ds stick in and see what windows
reads, then add one stick and boot again untill you find the piece
that is incompatible. Could be that one piece cannot run at a
specified auto bios setting.

ñíñjà¤têç

-----END-PGP-SIGNATURE-----

On 2 Mar 2005 22:36:28 -0800, navhpf@gmail.com wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I have a problem with my ASUS P4B533 motherboard. I have a total of 1
>Gb RAM (1x512, 2x 256). I have put the modules on the motherboard as
>recommended in the manual (the double-sided (512) in slot 0 and the
>other ones in slots 1 and 2). BIOS displays the right amount (1024 Mb),
>but WinXp only sees 232 Mb!!!
>I have installed Everest to check BIOS versions, etc, and it detects
>correctly 1x512 and 2x256.
>
>I tried every possible combination of 1,2 and 3 RAM modules, and WinXP
>would not display anything but 232 Mb. Even when the 512 module is put
>alone in slot 0!!!
>
>I need help to answer thess questions (in decreasing order of
>importance):
>- How can I get WinXP to acknowledge the presence of my 1 Gb of RAM?
>- Why is it displaying 232 Mb and not 256?
>- Why oh why oh god why???
>
>Any help appreciated
>
>Nav
>

>PS: my config