P4C800E-DLX with 3 NON-RAID SATA?

I intend to build a system with subject MOBO and want to use 3 SATA
drives with no RAID. I know I can put two SATA drives on the Intel
controller without RAID, but the manual is unclear about a single SATA
drive on the Promise controller - can I?

Hi,

Yes you can. You can select either IDE or RAID on the Promise controller
from the motherboard BIOS.

Myself I'm running 2 drives on the Intel controller set to RAID 0, and a
single drive connected to the Promise controller.

Hope this helps

Nick

"Jim MacLaurin" <jmaclaurin@nomail.us> wrote in message
>I intend to build a system with subject MOBO and want to use 3 SATA drives
>with no RAID. I know I can put two SATA drives on the Intel
> controller without RAID, but the manual is unclear about a single SATA
> drive on the Promise controller - can I?

Jim,
Yes you can run non RAID SATA drives on the Promise controler. The thing you
need to do is load the correct drivers for the mode you want to run in.
There are TWO sets of Promise drivers on the ASUS WEB site. One for RAID and
one for non-RAID.
I was running one SATA drive on the Promise chip before I moved the drive to
the INTEL chip and switched to RAID 1.

Rich
"Jim MacLaurin" <jmaclaurin@nomail.us> wrote in message
>I intend to build a system with subject MOBO and want to use 3 SATA drives
>with no RAID. I know I can put two SATA drives on the Intel
> controller without RAID, but the manual is unclear about a single SATA
> drive on the Promise controller - can I?

Thanks, Rich. I was not aware of the two sets of Promise drivers.
Knowing this, I'll go ahead and order the P4C800E-DLX mobo!
Thanks, again.