TUV4X power problem

Hey all, this one has me baffled, so I thought I'd see if anyone here
has any ideas....

I have an Asus TUV4X motherboard, and it has a little green LED that
lights up to indicate when power is being supplied to the mobo. Of
course, whenever power is interrupted (by unplugging the PC, power
outage, or accidentally hitting the button on the power bar with my toe
:p ), the LED goes out. The weird part is that when power is restored,
the LED doesn't light up right away. In fact, some random amount of
time has to go by before it does. Sometimes it takes a few hours,
sometimes a few days. This time, it's been 3 days, and I'm starting to
think that it might not come back at all this time.... This only
happens when the power is actually disconnected; as long as power is
being supplied to the mobo, it works without interruption.

I need to stress that when this has happened before, I've never
actually *done* anything to make the power come back on... I just check
it every once in a while, and eventually I'll see the LED is lit.

So what do you guys think? Faulty circuit somewhere on the mobo?
Maybe something to do with the power supply itself? I really can't
afford to replace the mobo right now, so I'm hoping someone might be
able to think of something I haven't!

Paul

Splendid

In article <1109833253.766580.283230@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
igjoe@telus.net wrote:

> Hey all, this one has me baffled, so I thought I'd see if anyone here
> has any ideas....
>
> I have an Asus TUV4X motherboard, and it has a little green LED that
> lights up to indicate when power is being supplied to the mobo. Of
> course, whenever power is interrupted (by unplugging the PC, power
> outage, or accidentally hitting the button on the power bar with my toe
> :p ), the LED goes out. The weird part is that when power is restored,
> the LED doesn't light up right away. In fact, some random amount of
> time has to go by before it does. Sometimes it takes a few hours,
> sometimes a few days. This time, it's been 3 days, and I'm starting to
> think that it might not come back at all this time.... This only
> happens when the power is actually disconnected; as long as power is
> being supplied to the mobo, it works without interruption.
>
> I need to stress that when this has happened before, I've never
> actually *done* anything to make the power come back on... I just check
> it every once in a while, and eventually I'll see the LED is lit.
>
> So what do you guys think? Faulty circuit somewhere on the mobo?
> Maybe something to do with the power supply itself? I really can't
> afford to replace the mobo right now, so I'm hoping someone might be
> able to think of something I haven't!

+5VSB could be weak. Try another power supply.

If the replacement supply has no better symptoms, it could
mean the motherboard is overloading +5VSB. If you check the
label on the supply, you've only got a couple of amps to
work with on +5VSB, so it doesn't take much of a load to
kill that output.

Odds are, it is the ATX supply that is at fault.

Paul

Thanks for your reply Paul, you were right on the money. I replaced
the power supply today, and it worked like a charm, everything is
running smoothly.

Actually, I feel a little silly that I didn't try that earlier... I
swear I remember testing it out on a different PS, but I guess I just
made that up. :eek:)