A8N - SLI Deluxe - Silicon Image Controller Behavior

Hello Everyone!

Just recently did some minor upgrads to my machine and some questions
have arose because of such.

I'm setting into this SLI board from a A7N8XE (might of been a deluxe
too) but that Mainboard only had the one controller and 2 SATA links and
I didn't have raid going on the drives I just had one drive boot
windows, the other linux and it worked like a regular PATA system
....just without the worry of jumpers ;P.

Well Now I have the SLI board and I tried the same thing but...no go!

The machine will boot, then go into the Sli BIOS (it sees the 2 drives)
and ...here is where it gets a bit weird...it tells me "No Valide Device
present" or something to that effect...but it sees the 2 drives!

I then start up windows, load the drivers for the controller off the
floppy and then...windows setup tells me no HD's are present.

Now I'm writing this because as of now I'm using the Nvid SATA
controller which..is doing alright but IMHO I prefer the Sil controllers .

So yeah, if anyeone has any input that would be great! I see alot
dealing with the Nvid controller but not too much on the Sil controller.

Other than that the machine is running GREAT!

PS. Please ignore any typos that might have occured whilst I typed this.
Its 2:18AM and I have been working on this machine since 2PM yesterday.

--
AMD Athlon64 3000+
ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 02:18:40 -0500, Mattchewie <user@home.net> wrote:

    The controller wants to set up the drives in a RAID configuration. I
    don't know if the Si controller has the same settings as the Nvidia in
    the bios to turn off RAID and use it as a plain SATA controller. I had
    to disable the RAID function on the Nvidia controller in BIOS to use
    it this way. Hope this helps.

    Harry wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 02:18:40 -0500, Mattchewie <user@home.net> wrote:
    >
    > The controller wants to set up the drives in a RAID configuration. I
    > don't know if the Si controller has the same settings as the Nvidia in
    > the bios to turn off RAID and use it as a plain SATA controller. I had
    > to disable the RAID function on the Nvidia controller in BIOS to use
    > it this way. Hope this helps.
    >

    >>Hello Everyone!
    >>
    >>Just recently did some minor upgrads to my machine and some questions
    >>have arose because of such.
    >>
    >>I'm setting into this SLI board from a A7N8XE (might of been a deluxe
    >>too) but that Mainboard only had the one controller and 2 SATA links and
    >>I didn't have raid going on the drives I just had one drive boot
    >>windows, the other linux and it worked like a regular PATA system
    >>...just without the worry of jumpers ;P.
    >>
    >>Well Now I have the SLI board and I tried the same thing but...no go!
    >>
    >>The machine will boot, then go into the Sli BIOS (it sees the 2 drives)
    >>and ...here is where it gets a bit weird...it tells me "No Valide Device
    >>present" or something to that effect...but it sees the 2 drives!
    >>
    >>I then start up windows, load the drivers for the controller off the
    >>floppy and then...windows setup tells me no HD's are present.
    >>
    >>Now I'm writing this because as of now I'm using the Nvid SATA
    >>controller which..is doing alright but IMHO I prefer the Sil controllers .
    >>
    >>So yeah, if anyeone has any input that would be great! I see alot
    >>dealing with the Nvid controller but not too much on the Sil controller.
    >>
    >>Other than that the machine is running GREAT!
    >>

    >>PS. Please ignore any typos that might have occured whilst I typed this.
    >>Its 2:18AM and I have been working on this machine since 2PM yesterday.

    Yeah from searching around I think the Sil 3114 controller on this board
    only accepts disks in a RAID configuration. So, I think using it as
    primary, secondardy ...etc etc is out the window. I'm going to call ASUS
    today and verify that today. I will post my findings.

    --
    AMD Athlon64 3000+
    ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe

    Mattchewie wrote:
    > Yeah from searching around I think the Sil 3114 controller on this
    > board only accepts disks in a RAID configuration. So, I think using
    > it as primary, secondardy ...etc etc is out the window. I'm going to
    > call ASUS today and verify that today. I will post my findings.

    That would be weird, the Sil3112 supports non RAID (as you know).

    To be fair, you might as well use the nForce4 controller:
    http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2358&p=16

    Ben

    Ben Pope wrote:
    > Mattchewie wrote:
    >
    >>Yeah from searching around I think the Sil 3114 controller on this
    >>board only accepts disks in a RAID configuration. So, I think using
    >>it as primary, secondardy ...etc etc is out the window. I'm going to
    >>call ASUS today and verify that today. I will post my findings.
    >

    > That would be weird, the Sil3112 supports non RAID (as you know).
    >
    > To be fair, you might as well use the nForce4 controller:
    > http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2358&p=16

    The Sil3114 controller on the Tyan S2885 works just fine in a
    non-RAID mode. Two of the systems I have built around that
    board have a Plextor DVD burner and a 250 GB SATA HDD.

    My only problem with that controller has been in trying to set up
    a bootable 0+1 for someone.

    --
    Every cloud has a silver lining, even if you sometimes
    have to drop a little acid before you can see it.

    Mattchewie wrote:

    > Yeah from searching around I think the Sil 3114 controller on this board
    > only accepts disks in a RAID configuration. So, I think using it as
    > primary, secondardy ...etc etc is out the window. I'm going to call ASUS
    > today and verify that today. I will post my findings.

    Select the JBOD option - it means: Just a Bunch Of Discs. Which it is,
    when not running raid, just a bunch of discs. Should work nicely.

    RJT wrote:
    > Mattchewie wrote:
    >
    >> Yeah from searching around I think the Sil 3114 controller on this
    >> board only accepts disks in a RAID configuration. So, I think using it
    >> as primary, secondardy ...etc etc is out the window. I'm going to call
    >> ASUS today and verify that today. I will post my findings.
    >

    > Select the JBOD option - it means: Just a Bunch Of Discs. Which it is,
    > when not running raid, just a bunch of discs. Should work nicely.

    I can't believe I over looked the JBOD setting! That is exactly what it
    needed to work. My A7N8X-E was just plug it in and go so I wasn't even
    thinking about looking for a JBOD in the Sil bios! Thanks RJT!

    After adding my discs through the JBOD, the windows installer found them
    find and the Silicon Image Bios stopped reporting "No vailde device"
    (not the typo in vaild is in the bios ;P)

    Thanks guys for your help. I called Asus and all they could tell me is
    "it should work" and didn't mention adding the disks. I have plans to
    follow up on my case number for their records as I know it must be hard
    to keep up with all the mainboards they have and their configs!

    Mattchewie wrote:
    > Now I'm writing this because as of now I'm using the Nvid SATA
    > controller which..is doing alright but IMHO I prefer the Sil controllers .
    >
    > So yeah, if anyeone has any input that would be great! I see alot
    > dealing with the Nvid controller but not too much on the Sil controller.

    The NVIDIA SATA controller will likely be faster - the Silicon Image
    controller is connected to the PCI bus..

    --
    Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

    milleron wrote:

    >>Select the JBOD option - it means: Just a Bunch Of Discs. Which it is,
    >>when not running raid, just a bunch of discs. Should work nicely.
    >
    > That's what I thought, but someone has said that selecting JBOD simply
    > spans the drives so that they appear as one big one. For example,
    > connecting an 80Gb and a 120GB in JBOD would make them appear in the
    > OS as a single 200GB drive rather than as the two separate drives
    > which the OP wants.
    > I haven't purchased my A8N-SLI yet, so can any present owners chime in
    > on how JBOD works on this board?

    Possibly so. The Silicon controller also has the 'spare drive' option.
    It's not documented in the manual, at least I can't find anything on it,
    but it would seem to me it will not select the connected drive for a
    RAID array.

Asus Controller SLI Motherboards