help needed supporting weight of zalman cooler

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Zalman
  • Cooling
  • Cases
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
March 3, 2005 10:21:05 AM

Hi,

I have an ASUS A7N8X-E with a Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu cooler running a mobile
barton XP 2400+ 35W

I want to get some additional support to hold up this weight in an tower
case, as this cooler weighs close to 800g

has anyone experimented with drilling through the existing holes that
surround the CPU socket and inserting something akin to long bolts that
would be terminated at the outside of the case, so that the case would bear
the weight of this wonderful cooler and not my poor asus mainboard?

any ideas appreciated!

cowboy

More about : needed supporting weight zalman cooler

March 3, 2005 3:30:12 PM

"cowboy" <cacheoverflow@yahooDOTcom> wrote in message
news:o 5WdnQFQ0YTHnLrfRVn-oQ@comcast.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have an ASUS A7N8X-E with a Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu cooler running
> a mobile barton XP 2400+ 35W
>
> I want to get some additional support to hold up this weight in
> an tower case, as this cooler weighs close to 800g
>
> has anyone experimented with drilling through the existing holes
> that surround the CPU socket and inserting something akin to
> long bolts that would be terminated at the outside of the case,
> so that the case would bear the weight of this wonderful cooler
> and not my poor asus mainboard?

I wouldn't mess around with it, the mounting has to be very
precise, try and bodge support with bolts and things and you may
as well be using a $5 cooler.

I had two for over 12 months on A7N8X and NF7-s, zero problems.
Just be careful moving the case around, although if you regularly
move the pc around you probably bought the wrong cooler.

--
Ian
!