Repost of USB problem

Subject: Re: USB mouse problem
From: "Matt C" <the4thworld@hotmail.com> Sent:
8/10/2004 7:02:02 PM

The laptop in question is a Gateway M675. As far as the
USB port stopping altogether, other USB products are
recognized and work with the computer (i.e. my printer
and flash media) and i have tried the mouse in all the
USB ports on the computer with the same result. I know
that the mouse works because i have plugged it into my
room mates computer and it functioned properly instantly,
i also tried using my room mates USB mouse on my computer
and achieved the same results as with the first mouse. As
for PS/2, there are no PS/2 ports on the laptop. Perhaps
it has something to do with the chipset drivers you spoke
of, I'm not terribly proficent with computers so if you
could explain what that means or give me instruction i
would appreciate it.
Thank you for your help so far
update as your
>new installation would not have the update yet. What is
the make and
>model of the laptop. You may need to update the chipset
drivers further
>than what you currently have. It is also possible that
the USB Port in
>question may just have stopped working. Does the mouse
work in any
>other USB Ports? Do you have a PS/2 port on the laptop?
Did your mouse
>come with a PS/2 to USB Convertor?
>
>----
>Nathan McNulty
>

>Matt C wrote:
>> I have an odd problem occuring with my USB ports, I
>> installed a print driver update (from MS updates page)
>> and as soon as i did that my computer will no longer
>> recognize my USB mouse. I have tested the mouse on
>> another computer and it still works, but when i plug
it
>> into the computer in question it gives me the "USB
device
>> not recognized" error. I have tried it with other USB
>> mice and they create the same error message.
>> It is a laptop so USB is the only way to connect a
mouse.
>> I have even gone so far as to completly reformat the
HD
>> and reinstall Windows all together(as well as
reinstalled
>> all the drivers) but the mouse still won't work. Any
help
>> would be most appreciated.
>> Thanks In Advance
>>
>.