A8V: Why was it that Winchesters didn't work with old BIOS?

I have an A8V. I have read here that the Winchester/90nm. process
chips could not run with the early motherboards because of a BIOS
problem. I would like a clear explanation so that I can give it to
others as to what the problem was, please.

Thank you very much for your help in advance!
2 answers Last reply
More about winchesters didn work bios

    In article <gsph21dfb7hjl4rehvs4onloeab2uvoq5n@4ax.com>, user@user.com
    says...

    >I have an A8V. I have read here that the Winchester/90nm. process
    >chips could not run with the early motherboards because of a BIOS
    >problem. I would like a clear explanation so that I can give it to
    >others as to what the problem was, please.

    I dont know much about it, I have the 130nm cpu. But the 90nm chips use
    a slighlty lower core voltage (like 1.4V instead of 1.55V), and
    motherboards need a BIOS upgrade level that will understand the new
    chip. The Asus support AV8 FAQ says the AV8 needs bios 1007 or later
    for the 90nm cpu. 1009 is available now.

    Thanks for the reply.

    On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 17:55:32 -0600, Wayne Fulton <nospam@invalid.com>
    wrote:

    >In article <gsph21dfb7hjl4rehvs4onloeab2uvoq5n@4ax.com>, user@user.com
    >says...
    >>

    >>I have an A8V. I have read here that the Winchester/90nm. process
    >>chips could not run with the early motherboards because of a BIOS
    >>problem. I would like a clear explanation so that I can give it to
    >>others as to what the problem was, please.
    >

    >I dont know much about it, I have the 130nm cpu. But the 90nm chips use
    >a slighlty lower core voltage (like 1.4V instead of 1.55V), and
    >motherboards need a BIOS upgrade level that will understand the new
    >chip. The Asus support AV8 FAQ says the AV8 needs bios 1007 or later
    >for the 90nm cpu. 1009 is available now.

Asus BIOS Motherboards