USB Problems w/ A7N8X-E

No matter what I've tried, I cannot get this motherboard to detect my HP
Photosmart 7350 printer. All other USB devices are detected properly and
work normally. I even put in two PCI UBS cards and the printer is still not
detected. I know the printer is fine because I've successfully installed it
and got it to print on two other computers; the problem is clearly with this
motherboard, more precisely the chipset (nForce 2). Any ideas what else I
can try to get this printer working with this mobo? TIA.

Paul

Splendid

In article <BwoWd.12383$OU1.2604@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>, "KnumbKnuts"
<[nospam[jhansman@pacbell.net> wrote:

> No matter what I've tried, I cannot get this motherboard to detect my HP
> Photosmart 7350 printer. All other USB devices are detected properly and
> work normally. I even put in two PCI UBS cards and the printer is still not
> detected. I know the printer is fine because I've successfully installed it
> and got it to print on two other computers; the problem is clearly with this
> motherboard, more precisely the chipset (nForce 2). Any ideas what else I
> can try to get this printer working with this mobo? TIA.

Several Windows development kits, have sample code called "usbview".
I had to look around a bit, to find a compiled version. This
is what I found.

http://www.srigc.com/download/usbview.exe

Try this tool, and see if the printer is enumerated.

If you can see it with usbview, then it isn't a hardware problem.

If you go to the hp.com website, and type in 7350, eventually
you can tunnel down to the support section for your product.
There is a description of what to do if the install of the
printer software doesn't work properly. I didn't copy down the
URL (I was using another computer at the time), but part of
that fix involved deleting an INF file. So, there is at least
one potential bug with the software right there.

A generic fix, it to delete everything associated with USB
while in safe mode. USBman.com has this to offer:

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/checking_for_usb_2.htm

http://www.usbman.com/Troubleshooter%20General.htm -->
http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup%20Device%20Manager%20Safe%20Mode.htm

I doubt the USBman procedure will fix the HP software. For
that, you should be using the uninstall option in Add/Remove,
rather than randomly deleting files. Try Add/Remove the HP software,
and without deleting anything, have a look around for the residue of
the HP software, as describe in their troubleshooting section.

In any case, post back what you find.

HTH,
Paul

Well, when I run USB View, it does show the printer connected using "DOT 4
USB Printing Support" which is not listed if I disconnect the printer and
refresh the listing. I'm not sure what this tells me, except that this util
can see the printer connected. I deleted all references to the printer in
the registry that I could find (many, even after uninstalling the software),
but one thing the HP tech told me in an online support session was that
regardless of whether or not any HP software or drivers were installed, when
the printer is connected via USB, the "New Hardware Found" notification
should show up in the tray. This has never happened, not once. So, does this
mean that it's a Windows problem? If so, why does it work on other XP
machines? It is worth noting that the first time I attempted to install this
printer, it was on a fresh install of Windows XP, with only the nForce
drivers from the motherboard CD. Any other ideas?

> In article <BwoWd.12383$OU1.2604@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>, "KnumbKnuts"
> <[nospam[jhansman@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
> > No matter what I've tried, I cannot get this motherboard to detect my HP
> > Photosmart 7350 printer. All other USB devices are detected properly and
> > work normally. I even put in two PCI UBS cards and the printer is still
not
> > detected. I know the printer is fine because I've successfully installed
it
> > and got it to print on two other computers; the problem is clearly with
this
> > motherboard, more precisely the chipset (nForce 2). Any ideas what else
> > can try to get this printer working with this mobo? TIA.
>
> Several Windows development kits, have sample code called "usbview".
> I had to look around a bit, to find a compiled version. This
> is what I found.
>
> http://www.srigc.com/download/usbview.exe
>
> Try this tool, and see if the printer is enumerated.
>
> If you can see it with usbview, then it isn't a hardware problem.
>
> If you go to the hp.com website, and type in 7350, eventually
> you can tunnel down to the support section for your product.
> There is a description of what to do if the install of the
> printer software doesn't work properly. I didn't copy down the
> URL (I was using another computer at the time), but part of
> that fix involved deleting an INF file. So, there is at least
> one potential bug with the software right there.
>
> A generic fix, it to delete everything associated with USB
> while in safe mode. USBman.com has this to offer:
>
> http://www.usbman.com/Guides/checking_for_usb_2.htm
>
> http://www.usbman.com/Troubleshooter%20General.htm -->

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup%20Device%20Manager%20Safe%20Mode.htm

> I doubt the USBman procedure will fix the HP software. For
> that, you should be using the uninstall option in Add/Remove,
> rather than randomly deleting files. Try Add/Remove the HP software,
> and without deleting anything, have a look around for the residue of
> the HP software, as describe in their troubleshooting section.
>
> In any case, post back what you find.
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Paul

Splendid

In article <3YzWd.11890$Pz7.4096@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, "KnumbKnuts"
<[nospam[jhansman@pacbell.net> wrote:

> Well, when I run USB View, it does show the printer connected using "DOT 4
> USB Printing Support" which is not listed if I disconnect the printer and
> refresh the listing. I'm not sure what this tells me, except that this util
> can see the printer connected. I deleted all references to the printer in
> the registry that I could find (many, even after uninstalling the software),
> but one thing the HP tech told me in an online support session was that
> regardless of whether or not any HP software or drivers were installed, when
> the printer is connected via USB, the "New Hardware Found" notification
> should show up in the tray. This has never happened, not once. So, does this
> mean that it's a Windows problem? If so, why does it work on other XP
> machines? It is worth noting that the first time I attempted to install this
> printer, it was on a fresh install of Windows XP, with only the nForce
> drivers from the motherboard CD. Any other ideas?

This is what I get on my A7N8X-E, with a single USB mouse connected.
(I think the reason USBview lists two groups of three ports, is
USBview was designed back when Southbridge chips only had four
USB ports. No hardware is ever arranged the way this info is
displayed below. It should be three groups of two. I'm using
Win2K SP2 and have no USB2 support in my OS.)

My Computer
Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
Root Hub
[Port1] DeviceConnected: USB Human Interface Device
[Port2] NoDeviceConnected
[Port3] NoDeviceConnected
Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
Root Hub
[Port1] NoDeviceConnected
[Port2] NoDeviceConnected
[Port3] NoDeviceConnected

The first root hub reads:

Root Hub: USB#ROOT_HUB#4&36ce346&0#{f18a0e88-c30c-11d0-8815-00a0c906bed8}
Hub Power: Self Power
Number of Ports: 3
Power switching: None
Compound device: No
Over-current Protection: Global

The second root hub reads:

Root Hub: USB#ROOT_HUB#4&37090e00&0#{f18a0e88-c30c-11d0-8815-00a0c906bed8}
Hub Power: Self Power
Number of Ports: 3
Power switching: None
Compound device: No
Over-current Protection: Global

And the entry for my USB mouse, on Port 1 above, reads this
when I click the "DeviceConnected" line on the screen:

Device Descriptor:
bcdUSB: 0x0200
bDeviceClass: 0x00
bDeviceSubClass: 0x00
bDeviceProtocol: 0x00
bMaxPacketSize0: 0x08 (8)
idVendor: 0x046D (Logitech Inc.)
idProduct: 0xC01A
bcdDevice: 0x1900
iManufacturer: 0x01
iProduct: 0x02
iSerialNumber: 0x00
bNumConfigurations: 0x01

ConnectionStatus: DeviceConnected
Current Config Value: 0x01
Device Bus Speed: Low
Device Address: 0x02
Open Pipes: 1

Endpoint Descriptor:
bEndpointAddress: 0x81
Transfer Type: Interrupt
wMaxPacketSize: 0x0004 (4)
bInterval: 0x0A

What I was hoping to achieve, was to see whether the printer
could be seen or not.

There is one outstanding bug on the Nforce2. There is a
jitter problem...

http://www.epox.de/_boarddetail/8rda+/nForce2_MCP-T_MCP_USB1.1_AppNote.pdf

But, if you are using a separate PCI USB card, that would
no longer be a potential problem. Does USBview behave
differently when using a USB card and the printer ?

So, what exactly do you see in USBview ?

This could be a BIOS problem, but for that to happen, there
would have to be something seriously wrong with the USB
declaration info that HP is using. Like the wrong device
class or something.

For the New Hardware Wizard not to pop up, either the device
has already got a driver (somehow), or the device is not
being seen. Are you sure there isn't an [Unknown] entry
in the Device Manager ? I means, if your USBview output
has details of a device, like the ones I list above, then
it should be reflected as an extra line in the Device
Manager.

Just guessing,
Paul

All good thoughts and suggestions. I'll put the card back in and plug the
printer into it and see what USB View shows, as well as the device mgr, and
report back. I have a sinking feeling this will not be resolved without
either a new motherboard or printer.

I really appreciate your taking the time to try and help with this.