KVM switch question

milleron

Would there be any problem with daisychaining KVM switches?
I currently have two computers on one KVM. If I add a third computer,
it would be a lot less expensive to buy an additional 2-computer KVM
than to replace everything with a 3- or 4-computer KVM.
Would I expect problems if I connected as per this schematic?

PC-1 PC-3
\ \
\ \
KVM1-----------------> KVM2 ---> monitor/KB/mouse
/
/
PC-2

I'd have to manually switch KVM1 rather than using hotkeys, but that
would be fine. I'm just wondering if everything else would work as I
hope. If video resolutions would be messed up, I could ditch the
switch I have and purchase a 4-way KVM, but they're pretty expensive.
I'd appreciate any advice and opinions.

Ron

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 20:33:25 GMT, milleron
<millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote:

>Would there be any problem with daisychaining KVM switches?
>I currently have two computers on one KVM. If I add a third computer,
>it would be a lot less expensive to buy an additional 2-computer KVM
>than to replace everything with a 3- or 4-computer KVM.
>Would I expect problems if I connected as per this schematic?
>
>PC-1 PC-3
> \ \
> \ \
> KVM1-----------------> KVM2 ---> monitor/KB/mouse
> /
> /
>PC-2
>
>I'd have to manually switch KVM1 rather than using hotkeys, but that
>would be fine. I'm just wondering if everything else would work as I
>hope. If video resolutions would be messed up, I could ditch the
>switch I have and purchase a 4-way KVM, but they're pretty expensive.
>I'd appreciate any advice and opinions.
>
>Ron
I no longer have a KVM but used to use a Belkin 4 input KVM with 3
machines. If I remember right, they were stackable but cant remember
how the shortcut keys selected a machine through the stack. Maybe a
look on the Belkin site will confirm the stackability...

--
Donald Gray
www.odcombe.demon.co.uk

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

"milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote in message
> Would there be any problem with daisychaining KVM switches?
> I currently have two computers on one KVM. If I add a third computer,
> it would be a lot less expensive to buy an additional 2-computer KVM
> than to replace everything with a 3- or 4-computer KVM.
> Would I expect problems if I connected as per this schematic?
>
> PC-1 PC-3
> \ \
> \ \
> KVM1-----------------> KVM2 ---> monitor/KB/mouse
> /
> /
> PC-2
>
> I'd have to manually switch KVM1 rather than using hotkeys, but that
> would be fine. I'm just wondering if everything else would work as I
> hope. If video resolutions would be messed up, I could ditch the
> switch I have and purchase a 4-way KVM, but they're pretty expensive.
> I'd appreciate any advice and opinions.
>
> Ron

Have you considered using RealVNC (free software) instead? Allows you
to display/use the desktop of any PC in your network from a window on any
other PC in the network.

milleron

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 23:12:33 +1000, "John" <knight_js.nospam@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>"milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote in message
>> Would there be any problem with daisychaining KVM switches?
>> I currently have two computers on one KVM. If I add a third computer,
>> it would be a lot less expensive to buy an additional 2-computer KVM
>> than to replace everything with a 3- or 4-computer KVM.
>> Would I expect problems if I connected as per this schematic?
>>
>> PC-1 PC-3
>> \ \
>> \ \
>> KVM1-----------------> KVM2 ---> monitor/KB/mouse
>> /
>> /
>> PC-2
>>
>> I'd have to manually switch KVM1 rather than using hotkeys, but that
>> would be fine. I'm just wondering if everything else would work as I
>> hope. If video resolutions would be messed up, I could ditch the
>> switch I have and purchase a 4-way KVM, but they're pretty expensive.
>> I'd appreciate any advice and opinions.
>>
>> Ron
>
>Have you considered using RealVNC (free software) instead? Allows you
>to display/use the desktop of any PC in your network from a window on any
>other PC in the network.

Great tip! Thanks very much. I can't believe I hadn't heard of this
freeware. I've downloaded it, and I'll definitely install it on my
new (Athlon 64) when it's built in a few months. Only if it doesn't
allow full access, will I worry about the new KVM.

In the meanwhile, I'd still love to hear from an expert on the
original question about daisychaining the KVMs.

Ron

milleron wrote:

> In the meanwhile, I'd still love to hear from an expert on the
> original question about daisychaining the KVMs.
>
> Ron

I wouldn't say I'm an expert on daisy chaining KVMs, but I have
tried it twice.

Video signal degradation was so bad that the monitors were
unusable above 800 x 600.

Mouse and keyboard usage was flaky but I didn't bother trying to
solve that because it was pointless if I couldn't solve the video
problem first.

--
Every cloud has a silver lining, even if you sometimes
have to drop a little acid before you can see it.

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 02:56:37 GMT, Rob Stow <rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca> wrote:

>milleron wrote:
>>
>> In the meanwhile, I'd still love to hear from an expert on the
>> original question about daisychaining the KVMs.
>>
>> Ron
>
>I wouldn't say I'm an expert on daisy chaining KVMs, but I have
>tried it twice.
>
>Video signal degradation was so bad that the monitors were
>unusable above 800 x 600.
>
>Mouse and keyboard usage was flaky but I didn't bother trying to
>solve that because it was pointless if I couldn't solve the video
>problem first.

i've experienced the huge variation in vga cable quality, there are cables so
bad as to be unusable for a single hop never mind two hops through ganged or
cascaded switches, utter shite, really; otoh, there are excellent cables
that'll do the best that can be done at quite high video frequencies (say good
enough for 1600x1200@75hz).

it wouldn't surprise me if a cascaded solution could be cobbled together if
one was willing to spend the money for high quality throughout. still,
multiple vnc solutions, including good free ones, would make it that much
harder to justify paying the necessary price for a hardware solution...

/daytripper

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 22:16:05 -0500, daytripper
<day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

>> still, multiple vnc solutions, including good free ones, would make it that much
>>harder to justify paying the necessary price for a hardware solution...
I used to use a VNC solution (TightVNC), but found it annoying that I
was not able to use the linux equivelent of the Windows hot key on the
"remote" machine.

In the end I bought a Belkin KVM switch (on sale).