Details on Nvidia Kepler GK104-based GTX 670 Ti Surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
[citation][nom]hellfire24[/nom]for $350,not bad![/citation]
It's only an estimation, in reality, it's most likely going to be more than the estimated price.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
so I am guessing GTX670 non ti will have another SMX disabled? @ 1024 cuda cores? wishing GTX670 ti @ 350, 670 @ 299, then its time to release a 2 GPC GK106.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
[citation][nom]esrever[/nom]mainstream gpus yet?[/citation]
Haven't you heard the stories? These ARE the mainstream gpu's. (Although factually, calling them gpu's is incorrect) Nvidia hasn't released their high end yet because the 7000 cards can't compete... for now.

[citation][nom]hellfire24[/nom]for $350,not bad![/citation]
Not bad at all. Assuming (by comparing the number of the cores from 680) that it will have performance between 7970 and 7950!!!!
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]so I am guessing GTX670 non ti will have another SMX disabled? @ 1024 cuda cores? wishing GTX670 ti @ 350, 670 @ 299, then its time to release a 2 GPC GK106.[/citation]
I guessed that there will be a GK104 7/8 SMX and a 6/8 SMX (cause nvidia with such a small die could win from this chip even on $200 price). If the 2nd will become true too it will have 1152 cores 6/8 and not 1024.

If they will price GK104 7/8 SMX at $349, then there is a possibility for GK104 6/8 SMX to be lower than $300 (something like $249 up to $299). If this happens, this should become best seller...

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]Haven't you heard the stories? These ARE the mainstream gpu's. (Although factually, calling them gpu's is incorrect) Nvidia hasn't released their high end yet because the 7000 cards can't compete... for now.[/citation]
Yea, and i'm sure they haven't released their low-end yet for the same reason...

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]general lee[/nom]I don't get it why news sites keep posting stuff that's clearly labeled as forum speculation.[/citation]
No, this is most likely not speculation. When Kepler went live, the press was given access to their corporate ftp server for the launch goodies (pics, white-papers, reviewers guides, etc).

Anyway, you know files have tags, right? So at least two of the supposed GTX 680 images had 670 Ti as a tag. I mean, i have the files with me, so this is first hand info ;)

Anyway, this is believable, because they do the same with the 560 Ti 448 Core edition.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]Haven't you heard the stories? These ARE the mainstream gpu's. (Although factually, calling them gpu's is incorrect) Nvidia hasn't released their high end yet because the 7000 cards can't compete... for now.[/citation]
Yeah Nvidia's PR for some reason called the 680 "mid-range". But then what they meant was that the dual GPU one is going to be "high end".

killerchickens

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

FLAME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So basically a GTX580 with 1 SMX disabled? @ $349-399. This card should fly off the shelves, as long as the supplies are there. The GTX680 overclocks like a dream, so I imagine this will to. They will probably clock it lower than the 680 just to put the stock performance in check with the price, but we all will know what you can crank it to. Nvidia did well with Kepler, just keep the models rolling off the line.

JPForums

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
[citation][nom]jay2tall[/nom]So basically a GTX580 with 1 SMX disabled? @ $349-399. This card should fly off the shelves, as long as the supplies are there.[/citation]

Agreed, which is why you'll probably see it at $399. This is unfortunate as I'm currently looking for a card but not in a hurry. I'd buy it at $350. At $400, I think I'll wait to see where the 7950 settles out first.

[citation][nom]jay2tall[/nom]The GTX680 overclocks like a dream, so I imagine this will to.[/citation]

Guru3D reports a pretty nice overclock in their guides (though no more than I see out of the HD7970). However, it seems that their overclock is getting pushed back down by dynamic boost.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-680-overclock-guide/

HardOCP was a little less successful. They find that an overclocked HD7970 makes up significant ground compared to an overclocked GTX680.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/04/04/nvidia_kepler_geforce_gtx_680_overclocking_review

In any case, until custom cooling/PCBs are available this appears you can count on decent overclockability, but your mileage may vary beyond that.

[nom]spookyman[/nom]Whens the GTX690 coming out Nvidia? Will it be faster then the 7990 radeon?

It will almost certainly be faster as long as you exclude compute benchmarks. With the 400 and 500 series, Nvidia had a faster architecture that was also larger, hotter, and consumed more power. This meant they had to seriously dial back the performance to make a dual GPU card fit within the required thermal, power, and price envelopes. Now, they are smaller, cooler, and less power hungry. AMD will run into these limitations first. Given that Nvidia is starting with the faster architecture, I can't see them loosing this one.

There is always a trade-off, however. Nvidia has given up significant compute functionality (I'll spare you the details) in order to gain this gaming performance advantage. While compute is gaining in importance, it isn't yet critical. I'd guess the majority of people in the market for these cards still see compute as a minor secondary consideration to gaming performance. There are those, like myself, who view compute as an important consideration, though.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]so I am guessing GTX670 non ti will have another SMX disabled? @ 1024 cuda cores? wishing GTX670 ti @ 350, 670 @ 299, then its time to release a 2 GPC GK106.[/citation]
The GTX670 will more than likely be positioned against the HD7870/7850. It'll probably be a hard fought battle for Nvidia given the HD7870's performance proximity to the HD7950. The HD7870 is just a damn good card. However I have little doubt that the GTX670 Ti will outperform the HD7950, and at a lower price.

I know a lot of people have high hopes for GK106, but I can almost guarantee you it will not be competitive with Pitcairn. But that's okay because it wasn't designed to. It was designed as a replacement for the GTX560/Ti in Nvidia's lineup. The relationship between gk104 and gk106 is similar to relationship between gf104 and gf106, and not gf100 and gf104 like many seem to believe. This means that core counts will be cut in half, and not by 25% like we usually see from Nvidia's mid range offerings. gk106 (GTX660 Ti) will probably have 768 CUDA cores, a 192-bit mem interface (possibly 128-bit) and 2GB or 1.5GB of GDDR5.

DeViLzzz2007

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
for $150 more just save up now for the GTX 680

heck I am mad with my 1 GB GTX 560 Ti purchase I made at one point for $199 after rebate ... tired of settling for bargain cards ....

anyone else feel the same way ?

for me it is a GTX 680 or nothing if I buy a new card in the future

trumpeter1994

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
I'll probably end up getting a 670 for my next rig...... that 680 really needs to drop in price since it's not the "true" flagship..... Rather than having modded G-100 as the -70 series this time around they're making the G-104 the -80 series and everything below it is nerfed...... 670 looks like its gonna be the equivalent of the old 460/560

oxiide

Distinguished
[citation][nom]phate[/nom]What are the odds of being able to unlock the disabled SMX ala an Athlon X3?[/citation]
If it was disabled because it was actually defective as reported, I imagine the odds are zero. Much less would you want to, it would probably brick the card.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]The GTX670 will more than likely be positioned against the HD7870/7850. It'll probably be a hard fought battle for Nvidia given the HD7870's performance proximity to the HD7950. The HD7870 is just a damn good card. However I have little doubt that the GTX670 Ti will outperform the HD7950, and at a lower price. I know a lot of people have high hopes for GK106, but I can almost guarantee you it will not be competitive with Pitcairn. But that's okay because it wasn't designed to. It was designed as a replacement for the GTX560/Ti in Nvidia's lineup. The relationship between gk104 and gk106 is similar to relationship between gf104 and gf106, and not gf100 and gf104 like many seem to believe. This means that core counts will be cut in half, and not by 25% like we usually see from Nvidia's mid range offerings. gk106 (GTX660 Ti) will probably have 768 CUDA cores, a 192-bit mem interface (possibly 128-bit) and 2GB or 1.5GB of GDDR5.[/citation]I dont care where they gonna place 660Ti, but I want something that is alternative of 7770. FAST and low power consumption that fit my 430w PSU. I dont want 7770 either knowing that
1st I have been using Nvidia card never an ATI card b4.
2nd I got 3 computers with Nvidia card so it is more convinent for me to Download 1 driver and work on all PCs.
3rd GTX680 has proven that Kepler is a faster Architecture than GCN. My goal here is getting something as fast as it could yet fitting my 430w PSU.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]I dont care where they gonna place 660Ti, but I want something that is alternative of 7770. FAST and low power consumption that fit my 430w PSU. I dont want 7770 either knowing that 1st I have been using Nvidia card never an ATI card b4.2nd I got 3 computers with Nvidia card so it is more convinent for me to Download 1 driver and work on all PCs.3rd GTX680 has proven that Kepler is a faster Architecture than GCN. My goal here is getting something as fast as it could yet fitting my 430w PSU.[/citation]1) So... you're a fanboy? Did you use them in the FX days? I've owned and used add-in graphics from ATI/AMD, Nvidia, and PowerVR (back when they were somewhat competitive in the desktop space - now they're kicking butt in mobile markets). No chip supplier is perfect, and the board manufacturers play a big role in the final product, but the big two are about the same in terms of average reliability and occasional issues. In the integrated graphics space, I did get burned once by Nvidia - google "bumpgate". But I didn't hold it against them - I actually blame HP more for not cooling the chipset aggressively enough.
2) Serious? It's too hard to download a driver? Heck the newest drivers fetch their own updates.
3) Until the 7700 and 7800 series have actual physical competition, it doesn't matter that "Kepler is faster than GCN". You can't extrapolate performance when you have no idea what these smaller chips are actually going to look like. We also don't know pricing. The cut-down version of Kepler intended to battle these AMD cards might end up being faster, but if AMD prices their cards aggressively in response, the value of their cards may remain strong.[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]Haven't you heard the stories? These ARE the mainstream gpu's. (Although factually, calling them gpu's is incorrect) Nvidia hasn't released their high end yet because the 7000 cards can't compete... for now.[/citation]Yes well at the moment I'm eyeing a 2GB 7850 for around $250. $200-300 feels more mid-range to me. If there's no Kepler-derived architecture available at this price range when I am ready to buy, it doesn't matter that they're doing well at much higher price points.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]I dont care where they gonna place 660Ti, but I want something that is alternative of 7770. FAST and low power consumption that fit my 430w PSU. I dont want 7770 either knowing that 1st I have been using Nvidia card never an ATI card b4.2nd I got 3 computers with Nvidia card so it is more convinent for me to Download 1 driver and work on all PCs.3rd GTX680 has proven that Kepler is a faster Architecture than GCN. My goal here is getting something as fast as it could yet fitting my 430w PSU.[/citation]
Your response makes it sound as though I was trying to get you to buy an AMD card... not sure what gave you that impression. The only part of my previous comment that was addressed to you was the first paragraph. The second was simply meant to address a common misconception I've noticed with peoples expectations of gk106/GTX660 Ti.

Status
Not open for further replies.