hi speed usb device plugged into non hi speed usb port

I use an external usb 2.0 cd-rw drive with my laptop and have
recewntly started to get the following error message;

hi speed usb device plugged into non hi speed usb port

I can still use the drive but only at a reduced speed. I'm running XP
home with SP1a installed. I've had a look through previous posts and
have got a few things to try to fix this problem, but my question is -
why? This drive has worked well for a year. I haven't installed any
programs recently, or even any usb-related microsoft updates. I've run
anti-virus and spybot and turned up nothing malicious on the machine.

Incidentally, at the same time as the above, i also lost access to the
windows volume control - i've fixed this by reloading SndVol32.exe to
c:/windows/system32. Could the two problems be connected somehow?

Any light that anyone can shed on this would be greatly appreciated!
2 answers Last reply
More about speed device plugged speed port

    You might have updated your USB device drivers and cleared a setting that
    masks the error message. See the following Microsoft link:

    835967 - How to turn off the "Hi-speed USB device plugged into non-hi-speed
    USB hub" warning message

    "cmunro" <cmunro@doctors.org.uk> wrote in message
    >I use an external usb 2.0 cd-rw drive with my laptop and have
    > recewntly started to get the following error message;
    >
    > hi speed usb device plugged into non hi speed usb port
    >
    > I can still use the drive but only at a reduced speed. I'm running XP
    > home with SP1a installed. I've had a look through previous posts and
    > have got a few things to try to fix this problem, but my question is -
    > why? This drive has worked well for a year. I haven't installed any
    > programs recently, or even any usb-related microsoft updates. I've run
    > anti-virus and spybot and turned up nothing malicious on the machine.
    >
    > Incidentally, at the same time as the above, i also lost access to the
    > windows volume control - i've fixed this by reloading SndVol32.exe to
    > c:/windows/system32. Could the two problems be connected somehow?
    >
    > Any light that anyone can shed on this would be greatly appreciated!

    I would simply reinstall my chipset drivers (motherboard drivers). You
    can use a program like Everest Home from www.lavalys.com to find out
    what motherboard make and model you have. This will also provide a link
    to your drivers or you can post the make and model in here and I'll give
    you a link ;)

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Mike D wrote:
    > You might have updated your USB device drivers and cleared a setting that
    > masks the error message. See the following Microsoft link:
    >
    > 835967 - How to turn off the "Hi-speed USB device plugged into non-hi-speed
    > USB hub" warning message
    >
    > "cmunro" <cmunro@doctors.org.uk> wrote in message
    >
    >>I use an external usb 2.0 cd-rw drive with my laptop and have
    >>recewntly started to get the following error message;
    >>
    >>hi speed usb device plugged into non hi speed usb port
    >>
    >>I can still use the drive but only at a reduced speed. I'm running XP
    >>home with SP1a installed. I've had a look through previous posts and
    >>have got a few things to try to fix this problem, but my question is -
    >>why? This drive has worked well for a year. I haven't installed any
    >>programs recently, or even any usb-related microsoft updates. I've run
    >>anti-virus and spybot and turned up nothing malicious on the machine.
    >>
    >>Incidentally, at the same time as the above, i also lost access to the
    >>windows volume control - i've fixed this by reloading SndVol32.exe to
    >>c:/windows/system32. Could the two problems be connected somehow?
    >>
    >>Any light that anyone can shed on this would be greatly appreciated!

Microsoft Devices USB Windows XP