hi speed usb device plugged into non hi speed usb port

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Devices
  • USB
  • Windows XP
August 12, 2004 6:57:03 AM

I use an external usb 2.0 cd-rw drive with my laptop and have
recewntly started to get the following error message;

hi speed usb device plugged into non hi speed usb port

I can still use the drive but only at a reduced speed. I'm running XP
home with SP1a installed. I've had a look through previous posts and
have got a few things to try to fix this problem, but my question is -
why? This drive has worked well for a year. I haven't installed any
programs recently, or even any usb-related microsoft updates. I've run
anti-virus and spybot and turned up nothing malicious on the machine.

Incidentally, at the same time as the above, i also lost access to the
windows volume control - i've fixed this by reloading SndVol32.exe to
c:/windows/system32. Could the two problems be connected somehow?

Any light that anyone can shed on this would be greatly appreciated!

More about : speed usb device plugged speed usb port

Anonymous
August 12, 2004 12:52:47 PM

You might have updated your USB device drivers and cleared a setting that
masks the error message. See the following Microsoft link:

835967 - How to turn off the "Hi-speed USB device plugged into non-hi-speed
USB hub" warning message

"cmunro" <cmunro@doctors.org.uk> wrote in message
>I use an external usb 2.0 cd-rw drive with my laptop and have
> recewntly started to get the following error message;
>
> hi speed usb device plugged into non hi speed usb port
>
> I can still use the drive but only at a reduced speed. I'm running XP
> home with SP1a installed. I've had a look through previous posts and
> have got a few things to try to fix this problem, but my question is -
> why? This drive has worked well for a year. I haven't installed any
> programs recently, or even any usb-related microsoft updates. I've run
> anti-virus and spybot and turned up nothing malicious on the machine.
>
> Incidentally, at the same time as the above, i also lost access to the
> windows volume control - i've fixed this by reloading SndVol32.exe to
> c:/windows/system32. Could the two problems be connected somehow?
>
> Any light that anyone can shed on this would be greatly appreciated!
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 2:32:23 AM

I would simply reinstall my chipset drivers (motherboard drivers). You
can use a program like Everest Home from www.lavalys.com to find out
what motherboard make and model you have. This will also provide a link
to your drivers or you can post the make and model in here and I'll give
you a link ;)

----
Nathan McNulty

!