K8N intermittant crash, what could be causing?

I've had a K8N-UAY mobo with the A64 3200+ chip for about two months
now, running winxp sp2. After about 3 weeks it started crashing about
once a day. Eventually it wouldn't boot; I found that removing one stick
of ram would get it to run (1 gb installed). I exchanged both sticks of
ram for 1g of OCZ ram, 3200 C2 OCA rev 3 performance series. It ran for
three weeks without a hitch and then today while running mundane biz
apps it had a BSOD:

Error code 1000007e
also listed as
ID: 1003
Source: System Error
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: ER_KRNLCRASH_LOG

I'm not sure what to try next. This is my first Athlon and the first
machine I've had this sort of trouble with in many years. Nothing is
o/c'd. Could it still be the ram? Video card is a BFG R6600GT nvidia.
7 answers Last reply
More about intermittant crash causing

    On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 09:18:22 -0800, wheel <wheel@wheel.not> wrote:

    >I've had a K8N-UAY mobo with the A64 3200+ chip for about two months
    >now, running winxp sp2. After about 3 weeks it started crashing about
    >once a day. Eventually it wouldn't boot; I found that removing one stick
    >of ram would get it to run (1 gb installed). I exchanged both sticks of
    >ram for 1g of OCZ ram, 3200 C2 OCA rev 3 performance series. It ran for
    >three weeks without a hitch and then today while running mundane biz
    >apps it had a BSOD:
    >
    >Error code 1000007e
    >also listed as
    >ID: 1003
    >Source: System Error
    >Version: 5.2
    >Symbolic Name: ER_KRNLCRASH_LOG
    >
    >I'm not sure what to try next. This is my first Athlon and the first
    >machine I've had this sort of trouble with in many years. Nothing is
    >o/c'd. Could it still be the ram? Video card is a BFG R6600GT nvidia.

    Same thing happened to me a few years back with a 5 month old system,
    what I did was underclock the CPU to about half it's speed so it would
    eat less power, it then ran and booted as normal, got a new more
    powerful PSU and that fixed it. Like Ben said, check your voltages, if
    they are going up and down like crazy or just dropping more then 5% then
    it's probably the PSU if everything else is in order, temps OK, good
    ram, etc....

    Ed

    ok, thanks, I'll watch the voltage.

    In article <50pm21dltv1ge2f1f51fi0go0cbbvg5p9d@4ax.com>,
    nomail@hotmail.com says...

    wheel wrote:
    > I've had a K8N-UAY mobo with the A64 3200+ chip for about two months
    > now, running winxp sp2. After about 3 weeks it started crashing about
    > once a day. Eventually it wouldn't boot; I found that removing one stick
    > of ram would get it to run (1 gb installed). I exchanged both sticks of
    > ram for 1g of OCZ ram, 3200 C2 OCA rev 3 performance series. It ran for
    > three weeks without a hitch and then today while running mundane biz
    > apps it had a BSOD:
    >
    > Error code 1000007e
    > also listed as
    > ID: 1003
    > Source: System Error
    > Version: 5.2
    > Symbolic Name: ER_KRNLCRASH_LOG
    >
    > I'm not sure what to try next. This is my first Athlon and the first
    > machine I've had this sort of trouble with in many years. Nothing is
    > o/c'd. Could it still be the ram? Video card is a BFG R6600GT nvidia.

    PSU?

    Ben

    Thanks Ben I'd forgotten that...is there any way to troubleshoot this
    sort of issue other than starting to swap components out?

    In article <1110132462.0c8531df6afba79dd33d97e89c087d88@teranews>,
    ben_popeREMOVE_ME@hotmail.com says...

    wheel wrote:
    > Thanks Ben I'd forgotten that...is there any way to troubleshoot this
    > sort of issue other than starting to swap components out?

    When you removed a stick of RAM, that helped for a bit. Remove as much
    as possible and see if it's better.

    Also, with software like MBM5, speedfan or even the BIOS, you can get
    voltage readings, they should all be ±5%.

    What is your PSU and what are the currents available on +12V and +5V?

    Ben

    It's a linkworld 350w... one hdd, one cd drive.

    I never got MBM5 to work but that was on another system; might work on
    this, but MBM5 is now adrift right? I mean the programmer has bailed out
    on it. In any case I'll try it and will watch the voltages.

    In article <1110134641.89ab812cccc805553d851f42f325f051@teranews>,

    wheel wrote:
    > It's a linkworld 350w... one hdd, one cd drive.

    I don't know the make, but 350W is probably pushing your luck.

    > I never got MBM5 to work but that was on another system; might work on
    > this, but MBM5 is now adrift right? I mean the programmer has bailed out
    > on it. In any case I'll try it and will watch the voltages.

    Well if it doesn't support your board then use something else...

    Ben

Asus RAM Motherboards