K8N intermittant crash, what could be causing?

I've had a K8N-UAY mobo with the A64 3200+ chip for about two months
now, running winxp sp2. After about 3 weeks it started crashing about
once a day. Eventually it wouldn't boot; I found that removing one stick
of ram would get it to run (1 gb installed). I exchanged both sticks of
ram for 1g of OCZ ram, 3200 C2 OCA rev 3 performance series. It ran for
three weeks without a hitch and then today while running mundane biz
apps it had a BSOD:

Error code 1000007e
also listed as
ID: 1003
Source: System Error
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: ER_KRNLCRASH_LOG

I'm not sure what to try next. This is my first Athlon and the first
machine I've had this sort of trouble with in many years. Nothing is
o/c'd. Could it still be the ram? Video card is a BFG R6600GT nvidia.

Ed

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 09:18:22 -0800, wheel <wheel@wheel.not> wrote:

>I've had a K8N-UAY mobo with the A64 3200+ chip for about two months
>now, running winxp sp2. After about 3 weeks it started crashing about
>once a day. Eventually it wouldn't boot; I found that removing one stick
>of ram would get it to run (1 gb installed). I exchanged both sticks of
>ram for 1g of OCZ ram, 3200 C2 OCA rev 3 performance series. It ran for
>three weeks without a hitch and then today while running mundane biz
>apps it had a BSOD:
>
>Error code 1000007e
>also listed as
>ID: 1003
>Source: System Error
>Version: 5.2
>Symbolic Name: ER_KRNLCRASH_LOG
>
>I'm not sure what to try next. This is my first Athlon and the first
>machine I've had this sort of trouble with in many years. Nothing is
>o/c'd. Could it still be the ram? Video card is a BFG R6600GT nvidia.

Same thing happened to me a few years back with a 5 month old system,
what I did was underclock the CPU to about half it's speed so it would
eat less power, it then ran and booted as normal, got a new more
powerful PSU and that fixed it. Like Ben said, check your voltages, if
they are going up and down like crazy or just dropping more then 5% then
it's probably the PSU if everything else is in order, temps OK, good
ram, etc....

Ed

ok, thanks, I'll watch the voltage.

In article <50pm21dltv1ge2f1f51fi0go0cbbvg5p9d@4ax.com>,
nomail@hotmail.com says...

wheel wrote:
> I've had a K8N-UAY mobo with the A64 3200+ chip for about two months
> now, running winxp sp2. After about 3 weeks it started crashing about
> once a day. Eventually it wouldn't boot; I found that removing one stick
> of ram would get it to run (1 gb installed). I exchanged both sticks of
> ram for 1g of OCZ ram, 3200 C2 OCA rev 3 performance series. It ran for
> three weeks without a hitch and then today while running mundane biz
> apps it had a BSOD:
>
> Error code 1000007e
> also listed as
> ID: 1003
> Source: System Error
> Version: 5.2
> Symbolic Name: ER_KRNLCRASH_LOG
>
> I'm not sure what to try next. This is my first Athlon and the first
> machine I've had this sort of trouble with in many years. Nothing is
> o/c'd. Could it still be the ram? Video card is a BFG R6600GT nvidia.

PSU?

Ben

Thanks Ben I'd forgotten that...is there any way to troubleshoot this
sort of issue other than starting to swap components out?

In article <1110132462.0c8531df6afba79dd33d97e89c087d88@teranews>,
ben_popeREMOVE_ME@hotmail.com says...

wheel wrote:
> Thanks Ben I'd forgotten that...is there any way to troubleshoot this
> sort of issue other than starting to swap components out?

When you removed a stick of RAM, that helped for a bit. Remove as much
as possible and see if it's better.

Also, with software like MBM5, speedfan or even the BIOS, you can get
voltage readings, they should all be ±5%.

What is your PSU and what are the currents available on +12V and +5V?

Ben

It's a linkworld 350w... one hdd, one cd drive.

I never got MBM5 to work but that was on another system; might work on
this, but MBM5 is now adrift right? I mean the programmer has bailed out
on it. In any case I'll try it and will watch the voltages.

In article <1110134641.89ab812cccc805553d851f42f325f051@teranews>,

wheel wrote:
> It's a linkworld 350w... one hdd, one cd drive.

I don't know the make, but 350W is probably pushing your luck.

> I never got MBM5 to work but that was on another system; might work on
> this, but MBM5 is now adrift right? I mean the programmer has bailed out
> on it. In any case I'll try it and will watch the voltages.

Well if it doesn't support your board then use something else...

Ben