sata HDD detected in every boot

In winxp pro I have 2 maxtor sata hdd that are constantly detected in every
boot by the operating system. It tries to find drivers without success. In
the device manager both are listed with exclamation marks but after the
search drivers process both seem to be working properly. It is very annoying
for this to happen during each and every boot. The other 2 hdd that I have
installed in the primary and secondary channels are fine.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks, dmk33

Have you tried installing the SATA drivers from your
motherboard Drivers CD? alternatively visit your
Motherboard Manufacturers website for a download!

Already installed the latest drivers (Silicon Image SATA driver 3x12) from
Gigabyte's website...by the way the m/b is a GA-7N400 Pro2...and I have
forgotten to mention that the same happens with my 5th HDD, which is on a
Promise Ultra133 TX2 PCI controler (latest drivers also installed)...and just
now noticed that the latest nforce drivers for my chipset refuse to install
(after 5 consecutive times) it closes (not hungs) after showing the nforce
logo (antivirus disabled as suggested). Is my PC "haunted" or what??

"Zagan" wrote:

> Have you tried installing the SATA drivers from your
> motherboard Drivers CD? alternatively visit your
> Motherboard Manufacturers website for a download!

It's a Gigabyte Motherboard - Oh No! Have you been to
their website for the Latest Bios flash?

Not the latest one but I've tried the one before that and my PC couldn't boot
so I had to flash the bios again witht he old one. But it's an idea to try
the brand new one, maybe they've fixed it...I'll do it and keep you posted.
Thanks!

"Zagan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It's a Gigabyte Motherboard - Oh No! Have you been to
> their website for the Latest Bios flash?

Have you asked Gigabyte? They do respond to an e mail request for help. I
think your problem relates to a BIOS setting, have you tried that?

I have a Gigabyte MB, not the same model as yours but I suspect the SATA
arrangement will be the same. Needless to say mine works perfectly.

Well thanks very much about your advice but now I have a more serious
problem. I flashed the bios with the latest one (F11) from Gigabyte's website
and the system not even starts (!). I'm getting desperate here...(I'm writing
from my laptop)

"Edward W. Thompson" wrote:

> "Zagan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It's a Gigabyte Motherboard - Oh No! Have you been to
> > their website for the Latest Bios flash?

Did you follow the manufacturers instructions for doing the BIOS flash?
Did you flash it from a bootable floppy? Windows based flash programs
should never be used, because if your system is "out of whack" it can result
in the scenario that you are describing.

Bobby

"dmk33" <dmk33@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well thanks very much about your advice but now I have a more serious
> problem. I flashed the bios with the latest one (F11) from Gigabyte's
> website
> and the system not even starts (!). I'm getting desperate here...(I'm
> writing
> from my laptop)
>
> "Edward W. Thompson" wrote:
>
>> "Zagan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > It's a Gigabyte Motherboard - Oh No! Have you been to
>> > their website for the Latest Bios flash?

If you followed all instructions you should have a backup of your original
BIOS on the floppy disk you used to flash it. You should be able to flash
again to the original BIOS. I assume that you MB does not have a 'dual
BIOS' as does mine.

"dmk33" <dmk33@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well thanks very much about your advice but now I have a more serious
> problem. I flashed the bios with the latest one (F11) from Gigabyte's
> website
> and the system not even starts (!). I'm getting desperate here...(I'm
> writing
> from my laptop)
>
> "Edward W. Thompson" wrote:
>
>> "Zagan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > It's a Gigabyte Motherboard - Oh No! Have you been to
>> > their website for the Latest Bios flash?

I followed all the instructions for flashing the bios, which is something
I've done many times in the past. The system couldn't even start verifying
the memory. Anyway, the manufacturer had all figured out. I cleared the CMOS
by removing the battery and the system on its own flashed the bios with the
default bios (F3 version). After that the system booted again OK. Now since
I'm back to the previous problem, I will contact the manufacturer directly
for resolving ideas. Thanks everyone.