Can not customize Monitor

pavel

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003

Since I have installed SP2 none of my systems detects type of monitor (under
advanced display settings). It now defaults to "Default Monitor' which does
not allow me to choose additional resolutions that my monitor can handle
such as 2048 x 1536. The check box on the same screen that enables me to
select such resolutions called 'Hide modes that can not be displayed' is
grayed out. Installing specific drivers that came with my monitor does not
help.

--
Pavel

Have you tried reinstalling the video card drivers? This is what
usually locks up different resolutions for me. Default Monitor should
work just fine.

----
Nathan McNulty

Pavel wrote:
> Since I have installed SP2 none of my systems detects type of monitor (under
> advanced display settings). It now defaults to "Default Monitor' which does
> not allow me to choose additional resolutions that my monitor can handle
> such as 2048 x 1536. The check box on the same screen that enables me to
> select such resolutions called 'Hide modes that can not be displayed' is
> grayed out. Installing specific drivers that came with my monitor does not
> help.

pavel

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003

Actually, I did originally started with the build-in video drivers (ATI
9800) then installed the latest drivers from manufacturer. No difference.
Besides, on another PC with NVIDIA video card....same problem. I have
ViewSonic display and it was always detected as such before I installed SP2
but now it does not detect it and only uses the default monitor settings.

--
Pavel

"Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
> Have you tried reinstalling the video card drivers? This is what usually
> locks up different resolutions for me. Default Monitor should work just
> fine.
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> Pavel wrote:
>> Since I have installed SP2 none of my systems detects type of monitor
>> (under advanced display settings). It now defaults to "Default Monitor'
>> which does not allow me to choose additional resolutions that my monitor
>> can handle such as 2048 x 1536. The check box on the same screen that
>> enables me to select such resolutions called 'Hide modes that can not be
>> displayed' is grayed out. Installing specific drivers that came with my
>> monitor does not help.

The was having the same thing happen with my Dell 172FP. I corrected it
by removing the monitor from Device Manager (because it wouldn't update
to the drivers when I pointed to them), rebooted, then used Device
Manager, Update Drivers for the Monitor and then it took the new driver.
You may want to try that. I am running a clean install of SP2 and
just did this yesterday.

----
Nathan McNulty