BIOS upgrade

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Is it possible to clear and edit the BIOS?? If yes, please
tell (the procedure) how to edit the BIOS?? How and from
where does one obtain a BIOS upgrade???
Thanks in advance..
6 answers Last reply
More about bios upgrade

    Go to the Manufacturer's website, search for updates:

    EG for Gigabyte go to www.giga-byte.com

    then link through support until you find an image file
    which you put on a floppy disk.
    What you do first is take note of what Bios version you
    have, and then look for a upgrade better version. (EG F4,
    F5, F11, F14 etc etc) there is usually a doccument
    detailing the method of flash.

    Sometimes you just boot off a bootable Floppy (get one
    from www.bootdisk.com) and when you have coppied the
    image to the floppy, then you use the executable file to
    launch the flash). Sometimes you get wierd flashed where
    you just load the file onto a blank floppy, and then boot
    with it in the drive holding down HOME key. Depends on
    the manufacturer, Usually best to follow their
    instructions!

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "RDG" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in news:533b01c4809b$f4e71e50$a401280a@phx.gbl:
    > Is it possible to clear and edit the BIOS?? If yes, please
    > tell (the procedure) how to edit the BIOS??

    Edit the .bin data file used by the flash program. Be prepared to have
    a dead system and which cannot be reflashed afterward if you don't know
    what you are doing. Folks that play around with the BIOS have EEPROM
    burners so they can yank the chips, reburn them, replace them, and try
    the new code, but obviously they retain a master copy to get back to a
    working computer.

    > How and from
    > where does one obtain a BIOS upgrade???
    > Thanks in advance..

    From the web site of whomever is the manufacturer of your motherboard
    which you did not mention.

    *** Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "_Vanguard_" <see_signature> wrote in message
    > "RDG" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote in news:533b01c4809b$f4e71e50$a401280a@phx.gbl:
    > > Is it possible to clear and edit the BIOS?? If yes, please
    > > tell (the procedure) how to edit the BIOS??
    >
    > Edit the .bin data file used by the flash program. Be prepared to have
    > a dead system and which cannot be reflashed afterward if you don't know
    > what you are doing. Folks that play around with the BIOS have EEPROM
    > burners so they can yank the chips, reburn them, replace them, and try
    > the new code, but obviously they retain a master copy to get back to a
    > working computer.
    >
    > > How and from
    > > where does one obtain a BIOS upgrade???
    > > Thanks in advance..
    >
    > From the web site of whomever is the manufacturer of your motherboard
    > which you did not mention.

    > *** Post replies to newsgroup. Share with others.
    > *** Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

    I think the obvious question is: why do you want to do this?

    steve.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "molsonexpert" <imdrunk@work.ca>
    wrote in news:OQKvz5JgEHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl:

    > I think the obvious question is: why do you want to do this?
    >
    > steve.

    Well, I had a Abit NF7-S BIOS version that was reported to have problems
    with Seagate Barracude drives and known to be flaky with the onboard
    SATA controller. Going back to the prior version solved that problem
    but you didn't get the extra functions in the newer version (don't
    remember what they were anymore). Another guy developed a customized
    BIOS based on the newer version. I believe the system BIOS was left as
    was for the new version but the SATA BIOS portion in the EEPROM got
    replaced or modified. There is a bunch of user modded BIOSes for Abit
    at http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=323695 (you might have to
    register to read the forum post; I used a Sneakemail alias and then
    killed it after confirming the registration). I didn't bother with
    going with an unknown maker of the BIOS and just waited until another
    new revision came out and used that instead.

    Reasons for modding your BIOS:
    - Define alternate timing sets for memory that more closely or exactly
    match your real memory instead of picking a bet-fit selection.
    - Hardcode a password so no one that steals your computer can simply
    short a jumper to wipe the CMOS table copy of the BIOS to eliminate the
    boot password.
    - Add higher CPU multipliers than your old and latest available BIOS
    will list, along with upping or changing other parameters regarding
    [over]clocking.
    - Mix different BIOS versions together, like one version for the system
    BIOS but a different one (than provided by the board maker) for, say,
    the SATA BIOS.
    - Allow different settings for voltage settings.
    - You want to brand the BIOS to your company or personal name.
    - You want to change the defaults for some settings.

    But for the OP that needs to even ask if the BIOS can be user modified
    and, even worse, how to obtain a standard BIOS update then obviously
    modding a BIOS is nothing they should ever attempt; else, they are
    almost guaranteed to end up with a dead computer.

    *** Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Having read that, I'm really looking forward to playing with my own version
    of a bios.
    Hopefully on someone elses pc!

    > "molsonexpert" <imdrunk@work.ca>
    > wrote in news:OQKvz5JgEHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl:
    > >
    > > I think the obvious question is: why do you want to do this?
    > >
    > > steve.
    >
    > Well, I had a Abit NF7-S BIOS version that was reported to have problems
    > with Seagate Barracude drives and known to be flaky with the onboard
    > SATA controller. Going back to the prior version solved that problem
    > but you didn't get the extra functions in the newer version (don't
    > remember what they were anymore). Another guy developed a customized
    > BIOS based on the newer version. I believe the system BIOS was left as
    > was for the new version but the SATA BIOS portion in the EEPROM got
    > replaced or modified. There is a bunch of user modded BIOSes for Abit
    > at http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=323695 (you might have to
    > register to read the forum post; I used a Sneakemail alias and then
    > killed it after confirming the registration). I didn't bother with
    > going with an unknown maker of the BIOS and just waited until another
    > new revision came out and used that instead.
    >
    > Reasons for modding your BIOS:
    > - Define alternate timing sets for memory that more closely or exactly
    > match your real memory instead of picking a bet-fit selection.
    > - Hardcode a password so no one that steals your computer can simply
    > short a jumper to wipe the CMOS table copy of the BIOS to eliminate the
    > boot password.
    > - Add higher CPU multipliers than your old and latest available BIOS
    > will list, along with upping or changing other parameters regarding
    > [over]clocking.
    > - Mix different BIOS versions together, like one version for the system
    > BIOS but a different one (than provided by the board maker) for, say,
    > the SATA BIOS.
    > - Allow different settings for voltage settings.
    > - You want to brand the BIOS to your company or personal name.
    > - You want to change the defaults for some settings.
    >
    > But for the OP that needs to even ask if the BIOS can be user modified
    > and, even worse, how to obtain a standard BIOS update then obviously
    > modding a BIOS is nothing they should ever attempt; else, they are
    > almost guaranteed to end up with a dead computer.

    > *** Post replies to newsgroup. Share with others.
    > *** Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    RDG wrote:

    > Is it possible to clear and edit the BIOS?? If yes, please
    > tell (the procedure) how to edit the BIOS?? How and from
    > where does one obtain a BIOS upgrade???

    Bios upgrades are best had from your motherboard maker. To edit the
    bios, see if there is a statement on post that tells you how to goto
    Setup or similiar lingo. With most clones it's the delete key whist
    booting.

Hardware BIOS Microsoft Windows XP