install location has insuffiecient space

I just installed an 80 gig hd with Win XP as the OS.
When I am intalling printer software and some other
things, I'm getting the error message: "one or more
install locations have insufficient space". When I
installed the new HD it assigned the drive letter E: I
don't know if that's relevant or not. I also went into
my computer and the properties for the HD and made sure
there was in fact enough space... There is PLENTY. I
know it's got to be something stupid that I'm not seeing.

Help,

feeling stupid in Michigan:)

Hi, Noel.

Your problem is either fairly simple or pretty complex. I can't tell which
from reading your post.

>I just installed an 80 gig hd with Win XP as the OS.

Do you mean that the 80 GB HD is your primary master? Your boot device?
And that you clean installed WinXP on it?

> When I
> installed the new HD it assigned the drive letter E:

Or do you meant that you added the new HD as a secondary drive to a computer
already running WinXP?

There is a world of difference in the answers to those two questions. If
you installed the HD as the boot device, then you must run WinXP Setup (in
other words, install WinXP) to allow it to detect your hardware and
incorporate the proper drivers in your customized version of WinXP. If you
simply added a secondary HD, then all you need to do is go to Disk
Management (diskmgmt.msc) to create one or more partitions, format them and
assign drive letters.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Noel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just installed an 80 gig hd with Win XP as the OS.
> When I am intalling printer software and some other
> things, I'm getting the error message: "one or more
> install locations have insufficient space". When I
> installed the new HD it assigned the drive letter E: I
> don't know if that's relevant or not. I also went into
> my computer and the properties for the HD and made sure
> there was in fact enough space... There is PLENTY. I
> know it's got to be something stupid that I'm not seeing.
>
> Help,
>
> feeling stupid in Michigan:)

dl

The default install for most software is the C: drive. You either have to
use a Custom install, allthough different installs call it different things,
and install to another drive. Ensure you enter the correct path or when
presented with a dialogue box that gives install path, click on it - do not
delete the whole text, move cursor to drive letter and replace C with, eg E.