P4C800-D SATA as Primary Master

I have a new Maxtor 120GB SATA drive that I want to use as my new primary
drive. BIOS will not recognize it as the master IDE drive, it sees it as the
4th Master. I even disconnected all other drives. When the old drive is
installed I can boot up fine, see the SATA drive, read.write to it.

What am I missing? Have gone through the manual and have not found anything
that sheds any light on this issue.

Jerry S.
3 answers Last reply
More about p4c800 sata primary master

    It is seen as the fourth master because it is connected to the fourth master
    controller, now, in bios, under boot, set( it ) to be the boot disk and
    remove your existing drive as the boot disk
    "Jerry Slaughter" <jerryslaughter@knology.net> wrote in message
    >I have a new Maxtor 120GB SATA drive that I want to use as my new primary
    >drive. BIOS will not recognize it as the master IDE drive, it sees it as
    >the 4th Master. I even disconnected all other drives. When the old drive is
    >installed I can boot up fine, see the SATA drive, read.write to it.
    >
    > What am I missing? Have gone through the manual and have not found
    > anything that sheds any light on this issue.
    >
    > Jerry S.

    "Jerry Slaughter" <jerryslaughter@knology.net> wrote in message
    >I have a new Maxtor 120GB SATA drive that I want to use as my new primary
    >drive. BIOS will not recognize it as the master IDE drive, it sees it as
    >the 4th Master. I even disconnected all other drives. When the old drive is
    >installed I can boot up fine, see the SATA drive, read.write to it.

    THanks for all he input. What I ended up doing was use the utility on the
    Maxtor disk that allowed it to be configured as the boot drive. I also went
    into bios and set it in there. All files transfered. I did have to repair my
    MS Office installation, but so far everything else is working.

    Interesting side note...after I got it working last night I thought about
    going ahead and just doing a clean re-install of XP and my other
    software...when I started the re-install, I rebooted to the install disk, XP
    started the initial file install, then I got a BSOD...disk error...would not
    continue the install. I tried 2 more times, same error. Normal restart back
    to XP when CD removed. Does the SATA drive require a install of a driver
    during the initial installation (the F6 prompt messsage during the initial
    file transfer)?

    Jerry S.

    Yes. During install, at very beginning, you'll see a message on bottom of
    screen saying "Hit F6 to load SCSI drivers" or something like that.
    Hit F6, put in the floppy with the S-ATA drivers of your motherboard ( you
    have to copy them to diskette first, since install will not lookup CD
    drives).
    Attention : this F6 message is short !!!
    After that it should work fine and be able to install correctly.
    Phil

    "Jerry Slaughter" <jerryslaughter@knology.net> a écrit dans le message de
    news: 7d3d$422da989$454901da$3871@KNOLOGY.NET...

    > "Jerry Slaughter" <jerryslaughter@knology.net> wrote in message
    >>I have a new Maxtor 120GB SATA drive that I want to use as my new primary
    >>drive. BIOS will not recognize it as the master IDE drive, it sees it as
    >>the 4th Master. I even disconnected all other drives. When the old drive
    >>is installed I can boot up fine, see the SATA drive, read.write to it.
    >>
    > THanks for all he input. What I ended up doing was use the utility on the
    > Maxtor disk that allowed it to be configured as the boot drive. I also
    > went into bios and set it in there. All files transfered. I did have to
    > repair my MS Office installation, but so far everything else is working.
    >
    > Interesting side note...after I got it working last night I thought about
    > going ahead and just doing a clean re-install of XP and my other
    > software...when I started the re-install, I rebooted to the install disk,
    > XP started the initial file install, then I got a BSOD...disk
    > error...would not continue the install. I tried 2 more times, same error.
    > Normal restart back to XP when CD removed. Does the SATA drive require a
    > install of a driver during the initial installation (the F6 prompt
    > messsage during the initial file transfer)?
    >
    > Jerry S.

Asus SATA Motherboards