P4C800-D SATA as Primary Master

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
March 7, 2005 9:52:33 PM

I have a new Maxtor 120GB SATA drive that I want to use as my new primary
drive. BIOS will not recognize it as the master IDE drive, it sees it as the
4th Master. I even disconnected all other drives. When the old drive is
installed I can boot up fine, see the SATA drive, read.write to it.

What am I missing? Have gone through the manual and have not found anything
that sheds any light on this issue.

Jerry S.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 7, 2005 11:46:24 PM

It is seen as the fourth master because it is connected to the fourth master
controller, now, in bios, under boot, set( it ) to be the boot disk and
remove your existing drive as the boot disk
"Jerry Slaughter" <jerryslaughter@knology.net> wrote in message
>I have a new Maxtor 120GB SATA drive that I want to use as my new primary
>drive. BIOS will not recognize it as the master IDE drive, it sees it as
>the 4th Master. I even disconnected all other drives. When the old drive is
>installed I can boot up fine, see the SATA drive, read.write to it.
>
> What am I missing? Have gone through the manual and have not found
> anything that sheds any light on this issue.
>
> Jerry S.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 8, 2005 10:32:55 AM

"Jerry Slaughter" <jerryslaughter@knology.net> wrote in message
>I have a new Maxtor 120GB SATA drive that I want to use as my new primary
>drive. BIOS will not recognize it as the master IDE drive, it sees it as
>the 4th Master. I even disconnected all other drives. When the old drive is
>installed I can boot up fine, see the SATA drive, read.write to it.

THanks for all he input. What I ended up doing was use the utility on the
Maxtor disk that allowed it to be configured as the boot drive. I also went
into bios and set it in there. All files transfered. I did have to repair my
MS Office installation, but so far everything else is working.

Interesting side note...after I got it working last night I thought about
going ahead and just doing a clean re-install of XP and my other
software...when I started the re-install, I rebooted to the install disk, XP
started the initial file install, then I got a BSOD...disk error...would not
continue the install. I tried 2 more times, same error. Normal restart back
to XP when CD removed. Does the SATA drive require a install of a driver
during the initial installation (the F6 prompt messsage during the initial
file transfer)?

Jerry S.
March 8, 2005 11:21:02 PM

Yes. During install, at very beginning, you'll see a message on bottom of
screen saying "Hit F6 to load SCSI drivers" or something like that.
Hit F6, put in the floppy with the S-ATA drivers of your motherboard ( you
have to copy them to diskette first, since install will not lookup CD
drives).
Attention : this F6 message is short !!!
After that it should work fine and be able to install correctly.
Phil

news: 7d3d$422da989$454901da$3871@KNOLOGY.NET...

!