Asus A8V, Did I make a mistake?

Guys, what with reading so many posts of people having trouble with the
Asus A8V motherboard, and especially with the AMD 64 Winchester version
processors I am getting scared that I bought the wrong board, that I
should have purchased the DFI Lanparty board or something. I didn't
know about the DFI board when I made the purchase, and I am locked in to
owning this board as the return policy ended a week after I got it
(comptuer show, family member bought it for me so I had to jump on the
opportunity to get a board, so I made the best guess that I could).

I haven't yet built with the board yet, as I don't have the money for
the CPU and RAM.

The board is the Version #2 (what it says on the silk screen of the
board itself) A8V Deluxe.

Are most people doing ok with this board and I am just seeing the worst
because that's what gets posted, the problems that is? Are you guys
seeing a normal amount of problems with this board compared with the
average of other boards, especially AMD Socket 939 boards?

How much am I going to hate myself for not getting a DFI Lanparty board?

Signed,

Fearful in WaterWorld Land.
13 answers Last reply
More about asus make mistake

    I have an A8V Rev 2 board. It's my first AMD based system.

    I've had good luck with it, but I have a Newcastle CPU. You ought to be OK
    if the BIOS on your board is sufficiently new. For CPU support, see:

    http://www.asus.com/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

    It looks like with some CPUs, you could boot the machine with a single DIMM,
    which would permit you to flash the BIOS to a newer version. The FAQ for the
    mainboard:

    http://www.asus.com/support/faq/faqmodel.aspx?ModelName=A8V%20Deluxe

    suggests that all you have to do is update the BIOS, but whether this would
    be possible with a Winchester CPU installed, I don't know.

    A good thing about the board is that it runs a pair of unmatched 512 MB
    DIMMs (Samsung chips) with a small overclock (220 MHz) at 2.5-3-3-8, which
    isn't bad at all.

    The only trouble I've had with it is the odd cold boot problem, which is a
    minor annoyance. (I've seen it before, on an Asus P4PE 100% Intel system.)
    Recent beta BIOSes (10.3 is the latest I've tried) have made them rarer.

    Maybe the performance of an nForce3 based mainboard would be better than a
    Via K8T800Pro system (like the A8V), but some reviews I've read suggested
    that the differences are minor.

    In other words, don't fret. If you want to feel better about the A8V, check
    for problems with the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum. (I think that is, or was, more
    common than the DFI product with the same chipset.) I went with the A8V
    because I had just bought a Geforce 6800GT (AGP) card, and wanted a
    mainboard upgrade that supported it. (Intel was pushing PCI Express.) No
    regrets.

    "signmeuptoo" <signmeuptoo@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Guys, what with reading so many posts of people having trouble with the
    > Asus A8V motherboard, and especially with the AMD 64 Winchester version
    > processors I am getting scared that I bought the wrong board, that I
    > should have purchased the DFI Lanparty board or something. I didn't know
    > about the DFI board when I made the purchase, and I am locked in to owning
    > this board as the return policy ended a week after I got it (comptuer
    > show, family member bought it for me so I had to jump on the opportunity
    > to get a board, so I made the best guess that I could).
    >
    > I haven't yet built with the board yet, as I don't have the money for the
    > CPU and RAM.
    >
    > The board is the Version #2 (what it says on the silk screen of the board
    > itself) A8V Deluxe.
    >
    > Are most people doing ok with this board and I am just seeing the worst
    > because that's what gets posted, the problems that is? Are you guys
    > seeing a normal amount of problems with this board compared with the
    > average of other boards, especially AMD Socket 939 boards?
    >
    > How much am I going to hate myself for not getting a DFI Lanparty board?
    >
    > Signed,
    >
    > Fearful in WaterWorld Land.

    Had my A8V Deluxe for over a month and it performs great. No problems
    whatsoever .

    "signmeuptoo" <signmeuptoo@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Guys, what with reading so many posts of people having trouble with the
    > Asus A8V motherboard, and especially with the AMD 64 Winchester version
    > processors I am getting scared that I bought the wrong board, that I
    > should have purchased the DFI Lanparty board or something. I didn't know
    > about the DFI board when I made the purchase, and I am locked in to owning
    > this board as the return policy ended a week after I got it (comptuer
    > show, family member bought it for me so I had to jump on the opportunity
    > to get a board, so I made the best guess that I could).
    >
    > I haven't yet built with the board yet, as I don't have the money for the
    > CPU and RAM.
    >
    > The board is the Version #2 (what it says on the silk screen of the board
    > itself) A8V Deluxe.
    >
    > Are most people doing ok with this board and I am just seeing the worst
    > because that's what gets posted, the problems that is? Are you guys
    > seeing a normal amount of problems with this board compared with the
    > average of other boards, especially AMD Socket 939 boards?
    >
    > How much am I going to hate myself for not getting a DFI Lanparty board?
    >
    > Signed,
    >
    > Fearful in WaterWorld Land.

    You should be fine. I'm running a Winchester 3200 on a Rev2 A8V Deluxe,
    bought them two weeks ago, no problems at all. The transition period as the
    Winchesters were first coming out is when I heard about problems. It was
    simply a case of bios versions. There were still some boards in stores that
    was one revision below what is needed for the Winchesters, once they're
    flashed it's fine. If you bought it in January or later I think you're past
    this issue. The bios revision needed is 1007 or higher.

    "signmeuptoo" <signmeuptoo@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Guys, what with reading so many posts of people having trouble with the
    > Asus A8V motherboard, and especially with the AMD 64 Winchester version
    > processors I am getting scared that I bought the wrong board, that I
    > should have purchased the DFI Lanparty board or something. I didn't know
    > about the DFI board when I made the purchase, and I am locked in to owning
    > this board as the return policy ended a week after I got it (comptuer
    > show, family member bought it for me so I had to jump on the opportunity
    > to get a board, so I made the best guess that I could).
    >
    > I haven't yet built with the board yet, as I don't have the money for the
    > CPU and RAM.
    >
    > The board is the Version #2 (what it says on the silk screen of the board
    > itself) A8V Deluxe.
    >
    > Are most people doing ok with this board and I am just seeing the worst
    > because that's what gets posted, the problems that is? Are you guys
    > seeing a normal amount of problems with this board compared with the
    > average of other boards, especially AMD Socket 939 boards?
    >
    > How much am I going to hate myself for not getting a DFI Lanparty board?
    >
    > Signed,
    >
    > Fearful in WaterWorld Land.

    Runnning mine a few months now never had a problem

    --
    ASUS A8V/Athlon 64 FX-55
    ATI RADEON X800XT PE

    "signmeuptoo" <signmeuptoo@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Guys, what with reading so many posts of people having trouble with the
    > Asus A8V motherboard, and especially with the AMD 64 Winchester version
    > processors I am getting scared that I bought the wrong board, that I
    > should have purchased the DFI Lanparty board or something. I didn't know
    > about the DFI board when I made the purchase, and I am locked in to owning
    > this board as the return policy ended a week after I got it (comptuer
    > show, family member bought it for me so I had to jump on the opportunity
    > to get a board, so I made the best guess that I could).
    >
    > I haven't yet built with the board yet, as I don't have the money for the
    > CPU and RAM.
    >
    > The board is the Version #2 (what it says on the silk screen of the board
    > itself) A8V Deluxe.
    >
    > Are most people doing ok with this board and I am just seeing the worst
    > because that's what gets posted, the problems that is? Are you guys
    > seeing a normal amount of problems with this board compared with the
    > average of other boards, especially AMD Socket 939 boards?
    >
    > How much am I going to hate myself for not getting a DFI Lanparty board?
    >
    > Signed,
    >
    > Fearful in WaterWorld Land.

    I've been running a NewCastle 3500+ on a Rev1 A8V Deluxe for about a
    month now and it's working fine. The only problem I had was that at first it
    wouldn't POST, because the BIOS was Rev 7 but needed to be Rev 9 to
    work with the 3500+. Took me a few hours to figure that was the problem,
    but after that it's been a sweet board.

    CapeGuy wrote:

    >"signmeuptoo" <signmeuptoo@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >

    >>Guys, what with reading so many posts of people having trouble with the
    >>Asus A8V motherboard, and especially with the AMD 64 Winchester version
    >>processors I am getting scared that I bought the wrong board, that I
    >>should have purchased the DFI Lanparty board or something. I didn't know
    >>about the DFI board when I made the purchase, and I am locked in to owning
    >>this board as the return policy ended a week after I got it (comptuer
    >>show, family member bought it for me so I had to jump on the opportunity
    >>to get a board, so I made the best guess that I could).
    >>
    >>I haven't yet built with the board yet, as I don't have the money for the
    >>CPU and RAM.
    >>
    >>The board is the Version #2 (what it says on the silk screen of the board
    >>itself) A8V Deluxe.
    >>
    >>Are most people doing ok with this board and I am just seeing the worst
    >>because that's what gets posted, the problems that is? Are you guys
    >>seeing a normal amount of problems with this board compared with the
    >>average of other boards, especially AMD Socket 939 boards?
    >>
    >>How much am I going to hate myself for not getting a DFI Lanparty board?
    >>
    >>Signed,
    >>
    >>Fearful in WaterWorld Land.
    >>

    >I've been running a NewCastle 3500+ on a Rev1 A8V Deluxe for about a
    >month now and it's working fine. The only problem I had was that at first it
    >wouldn't POST, because the BIOS was Rev 7 but needed to be Rev 9 to
    >work with the 3500+. Took me a few hours to figure that was the problem,
    >but after that it's been a sweet board.

    How did you flash it if it wouldn't post? Can that be done?

    > CapeGuy wrote:
    >>
    >>I've been running a NewCastle 3500+ on a Rev1 A8V Deluxe for about a
    >>month now and it's working fine. The only problem I had was that at first
    >>it
    >>wouldn't POST, because the BIOS was Rev 7 but needed to be Rev 9 to
    >>work with the 3500+. Took me a few hours to figure that was the problem,
    >>but after that it's been a sweet board.
    > How did you flash it if it wouldn't post? Can that be done?

    Boot to DOS from a floppy.

    CapeGuy wrote:

    >"signmeuptoo" <signmeuptoo@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >

    >>CapeGuy wrote:
    >>

    >>>I've been running a NewCastle 3500+ on a Rev1 A8V Deluxe for about a
    >>>month now and it's working fine. The only problem I had was that at first
    >>>it
    >>>wouldn't POST, because the BIOS was Rev 7 but needed to be Rev 9 to
    >>>work with the 3500+. Took me a few hours to figure that was the problem,
    >>>but after that it's been a sweet board.
    >>>

    >>How did you flash it if it wouldn't post? Can that be done?
    >>

    >Boot to DOS from a floppy.

    Well, then it would have posted. A POST is a Power On Self Test, and it
    is the first thing a computer does. If a computer won't P.O.S.T., it
    cannot run any O.S., running an O.S. is known as booting, right? A POST
    let's the system recognize what the BIOS commands it do to operate and
    subsequently look for an OS. If a system won't POST fully, then a
    person would have to physically pull the BIOS chip, and EEPROM it with
    the updated BIOS. At least that has been my experience over these last
    many years, but maybe Asus and other companies now have it to where a
    motherboard can do a partial post that allows for burn-in of an updated
    BIOS. I wonder about this.

    In article <gZbXd.6185$603.3648@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
    signmeuptoo@earthlink.net says...
    > CapeGuy wrote:
    >
    > >"signmeuptoo" <signmeuptoo@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    > >>How did you flash it if it wouldn't post? Can that be done?
    > >>

    > >Boot to DOS from a floppy.
    > >

    > Well, then it would have posted. A POST is a Power On Self Test, and it
    > is the first thing a computer does. If a computer won't P.O.S.T., it
    > cannot run any O.S., running an O.S. is known as booting, right? A POST
    > let's the system recognize what the BIOS commands it do to operate and
    > subsequently look for an OS. If a system won't POST fully, then a
    > person would have to physically pull the BIOS chip, and EEPROM it with
    > the updated BIOS. At least that has been my experience over these last
    > many years, but maybe Asus and other companies now have it to where a
    > motherboard can do a partial post that allows for burn-in of an updated
    > BIOS. I wonder about this.

    Chapt. 4 of the manual explains that.

    Bill

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 02:28:08 GMT, signmeuptoo
    <signmeuptoo@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >Guys, what with reading so many posts of people having trouble with the
    >Asus A8V motherboard, and especially with the AMD 64 Winchester version
    >processors I am getting scared that I bought the wrong board, that I
    >should have purchased the DFI Lanparty board or something. I didn't
    >know about the DFI board when I made the purchase, and I am locked in to
    >owning this board as the return policy ended a week after I got it
    >(comptuer show, family member bought it for me so I had to jump on the
    >opportunity to get a board, so I made the best guess that I could).
    >
    >I haven't yet built with the board yet, as I don't have the money for
    >the CPU and RAM.
    >
    >The board is the Version #2 (what it says on the silk screen of the
    >board itself) A8V Deluxe.
    >
    >Are most people doing ok with this board and I am just seeing the worst
    >because that's what gets posted, the problems that is? Are you guys
    >seeing a normal amount of problems with this board compared with the
    >average of other boards, especially AMD Socket 939 boards?
    >
    >How much am I going to hate myself for not getting a DFI Lanparty board?
    >
    >Signed,
    >
    >Fearful in WaterWorld Land.

    Running all good here. Using a Winchester 3500, and when I purchased
    the rev.2 board it had BIOS 1.8, but I never experienced any problems
    booting and installing XP. I also managed to overclock it (stable) to
    10.5x245 using 2x512 Cosair TwinX @ 3-3-3-8...anything above that for
    me is a no go (prime and memtest errors above 247 HTT).

    The only problem I am getting is that I cannot run AGP x8 with my
    Radeon 9800pro...it causes lock ups, so I have to run AGP x4.

    I just built my new system with a AV8 Mobo with AMD 64 3000 cpu.. runs fine
    with no probs.. now as to which core my cpu has that I really dont know.
    "signmeuptoo" <signmeuptoo@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Guys, what with reading so many posts of people having trouble with the
    > Asus A8V motherboard, and especially with the AMD 64 Winchester version
    > processors I am getting scared that I bought the wrong board, that I
    > should have purchased the DFI Lanparty board or something. I didn't know
    > about the DFI board when I made the purchase, and I am locked in to owning
    > this board as the return policy ended a week after I got it (comptuer
    > show, family member bought it for me so I had to jump on the opportunity
    > to get a board, so I made the best guess that I could).
    >
    > I haven't yet built with the board yet, as I don't have the money for the
    > CPU and RAM.
    >
    > The board is the Version #2 (what it says on the silk screen of the board
    > itself) A8V Deluxe.
    >
    > Are most people doing ok with this board and I am just seeing the worst
    > because that's what gets posted, the problems that is? Are you guys
    > seeing a normal amount of problems with this board compared with the
    > average of other boards, especially AMD Socket 939 boards?
    >
    > How much am I going to hate myself for not getting a DFI Lanparty board?
    >
    > Signed,
    >
    > Fearful in WaterWorld Land.

    Hi, solution - don't read any posts unless you have an issue, you're
    forgetting that only those who do, have. Myself, I have a stable and quick
    system much the same as you are purchasing.....
    ChrisC

    signmeuptoo wrote:
    > Guys, what with reading so many posts of people having trouble with the
    > Asus A8V motherboard, and especially with the AMD 64 Winchester version
    > processors I am getting scared that I bought the wrong board, that I
    > should have purchased the DFI Lanparty board or something. I didn't
    > know about the DFI board when I made the purchase, and I am locked in to
    > owning this board as the return policy ended a week after I got it
    > (comptuer show, family member bought it for me so I had to jump on the
    > opportunity to get a board, so I made the best guess that I could).
    >
    > I haven't yet built with the board yet, as I don't have the money for
    > the CPU and RAM.
    >
    > The board is the Version #2 (what it says on the silk screen of the
    > board itself) A8V Deluxe.
    >
    > Are most people doing ok with this board and I am just seeing the worst
    > because that's what gets posted, the problems that is? Are you guys
    > seeing a normal amount of problems with this board compared with the
    > average of other boards, especially AMD Socket 939 boards?
    >
    > How much am I going to hate myself for not getting a DFI Lanparty board?
    >
    > Signed,
    >
    > Fearful in WaterWorld Land.
    Mine has been running now for the past six months and being on around
    50 to 60 hours a week and so far has never given me any problems.

Asus Motherboards