Optical drives not working, please help!!

Hi there,

I am running Windows XP Pro SP1 and all of a sudden my
optical drives (one CD-RW and one DVD-ROM, both Samsung)
have come up with yellow exclamation marks in the Device
Manager ('Windows successfully loaded the device driver
for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device.
(Code 41)')

It says it has got the device drivers, but cannot find
the devices!

This is obviously stupid, because the devices are there
and were working fine earlier today (12th aug). I was
trying to make my iPod work (FireWire port has decided to
stop working) and now this has gone haywire.

I'm lost as to what to do, please help!

Paul holmes (paul@synae.com or phuzzy@synae.com on MSN)

bar

Try a system restore to prior to the iPod. This should reset all the drivers
and remove any conflicts that you have introduced. If you are lucky all will
be fine again.

Sometimes people attempt to plug in Firewire and cause electrical damage to
motherboard components and hard drives - yes believe or not this does happen.
So it may be that you have damaged the IDE interface or the Optical devices.

If this doesn't work, uninstall iPod, uninstall both optical devices: power
off.

Open case and unplug one Optical. Reboot, pray that device is detected and
installation is successful. If not take the non-functioning device and plug
it into another computer to see if it is operational. If it is dead, then
your firewire exercise is what caused its death.

If good, then power off and plug in second optical. Reboot, pray that device

"paul.holmes" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am running Windows XP Pro SP1 and all of a sudden my
> optical drives (one CD-RW and one DVD-ROM, both Samsung)
> have come up with yellow exclamation marks in the Device
> Manager ('Windows successfully loaded the device driver
> for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device.
> (Code 41)')
>
> It says it has got the device drivers, but cannot find
> the devices!
>
> This is obviously stupid, because the devices are there
> and were working fine earlier today (12th aug). I was
> trying to make my iPod work (FireWire port has decided to
> stop working) and now this has gone haywire.
>
> I'm lost as to what to do, please help!
>
> Paul holmes (paul@synae.com or phuzzy@synae.com on MSN)

Goto http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
See the second "problem" (read the caveats)
Run the provided registry patch

That should fix your problem (basically, a filter driver is missing or
non-operational, the registry patch will delete the filter drivers
references for your cdrom(s))

Basically, the reg file from above carries out the steps displayed at this
website

CD-ROM Drive or DVD-ROM Drive Missing After You Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19,
or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP

(It'll fix code 41 errors too as per the contents of the last kb article)

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"paul.holmes" <paul@synae.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I am running Windows XP Pro SP1 and all of a sudden my
> optical drives (one CD-RW and one DVD-ROM, both Samsung)
> have come up with yellow exclamation marks in the Device
> Manager ('Windows successfully loaded the device driver
> for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device.
> (Code 41)')
>
> It says it has got the device drivers, but cannot find
> the devices!
>
> This is obviously stupid, because the devices are there
> and were working fine earlier today (12th aug). I was
> trying to make my iPod work (FireWire port has decided to
> stop working) and now this has gone haywire.
>
> I'm lost as to what to do, please help!
>
> Paul holmes (paul@synae.com or phuzzy@synae.com on MSN)

You are an absolute genius!

It work's perfectly, what can I say :D

Ta very much!

us;314060

>(It'll fix code 41 errors too as per the contents of the
last kb article)

>--
>Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
>
>Find out about the MS MVP Program -
>http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
>
>"paul.holmes" <paul@synae.com> wrote in message
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I am running Windows XP Pro SP1 and all of a sudden my
>> optical drives (one CD-RW and one DVD-ROM, both
Samsung)
>> have come up with yellow exclamation marks in the
Device
>> Manager ('Windows successfully loaded the device driver
>> for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device.
>> (Code 41)')
>>
>> It says it has got the device drivers, but cannot find
>> the devices!
>>
>> This is obviously stupid, because the devices are there
>> and were working fine earlier today (12th aug). I was
>> trying to make my iPod work (FireWire port has decided
>> stop working) and now this has gone haywire.
>>
>> I'm lost as to what to do, please help!
>>
>> Paul holmes (paul@synae.com or phuzzy@synae.com on
MSN)

>.