Portable hard drive for iPaq?NOT microdrives

June 24, 2004 11:54:56 AM

Hi,
wondering is there anyone using a laptop hard drive with some sort of CF
ide adaptor with their iPaq? I would love if this were possibe due to the
greater space on the small laptop drives. I am thinking mainly of mp3
storage, currently I am using 2 256mb CD cards but the speeds are not that
great and moving files on and off the cards just take too long for day to
day use.
TIA
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 1:09:25 PM

Well, you could look at something like
http://www.twin-paradox.com/SEPDA.html for a CF USB host card. Then you can
plug in whatever USB HD you want. Of course, you'll probably need to be
hooked up to external power to use the HD's, as I doubt your PocketPC
battery will power things for too long.

Clint

"Patrick" <patrickm@spamsonic.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
> wondering is there anyone using a laptop hard drive with some sort of CF
> ide adaptor with their iPaq? I would love if this were possibe due to the
> greater space on the small laptop drives. I am thinking mainly of mp3
> storage, currently I am using 2 256mb CD cards but the speeds are not that
> great and moving files on and off the cards just take too long for day to
> day use.
> TIA

Anonymous
June 24, 2004 9:12:21 PM

PDA will not be able to power this. You will have to have a charger with
your to connect it to your hard drive.

--

..: Jakub Kañczugowski
..: www.PDAclub.pl

I think the twin paradox one is coming soon. the Ratoc one actually exists.
http://www.rexpccard.co.jp/english/products/subpages/cf...
At least you can order one ;)
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/firewireshop/newusb11hosa.h...

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Clint Neufeld" <noone@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
news:o grW%230fWEHA.1380@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Well, you could look at something like
> http://www.twin-paradox.com/SEPDA.html for a CF USB host card. Then you
can
> plug in whatever USB HD you want. Of course, you'll probably need to be
> hooked up to external power to use the HD's, as I doubt your PocketPC
> battery will power things for too long.
>
> Clint
>
> "Patrick" <patrickm@spamsonic.net> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > wondering is there anyone using a laptop hard drive with some sort of
CF
> > ide adaptor with their iPaq? I would love if this were possibe due to
the
> > greater space on the small laptop drives. I am thinking mainly of mp3
> > storage, currently I am using 2 256mb CD cards but the speeds are not
that
> > great and moving files on and off the cards just take too long for day
> > day use.
> > TIA

Anonymous
June 27, 2004 6:20:31 PM

Patrick wrote:

> Hi,
> wondering is there anyone using a laptop hard drive with some sort of CF
> ide adaptor with their iPaq? I would love if this were possibe due to the
> greater space on the small laptop drives. I am thinking mainly of mp3
> storage, currently I am using 2 256mb CD cards but the speeds are not that
> great and moving files on and off the cards just take too long for day to
> day use.
> TIA

Do you move stuff on/off using ActiveSync - that's real slow!

If so, try getting a USB 2.0 <-> CF card reader/writer (mine cost 9.99
UK Pounds!) - I regularly fill a 512MB CF card with it and it's very
fast - *MUCH* faster than ActiveSync..

L3K
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 6:20:32 PM

Great tip, I just tried copying some files from my computer to my Nikon
camera which also uses the same CF card and it is only USB 1.1 but the speed
was MUCH faster.
I wonder if this is processor related to the PPC?
Thanks for the tip
Patrick

"Linker3000" <linker3000@youkaytwodotnetuk2.net> wrote in message
> Patrick wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > wondering is there anyone using a laptop hard drive with some sort of
CF
> > ide adaptor with their iPaq? I would love if this were possibe due to
the
> > greater space on the small laptop drives. I am thinking mainly of mp3
> > storage, currently I am using 2 256mb CD cards but the speeds are not
that
> > great and moving files on and off the cards just take too long for day
> > day use.
> > TIA
> >

> Do you move stuff on/off using ActiveSync - that's real slow!
>
> If so, try getting a USB 2.0 <-> CF card reader/writer (mine cost 9.99
> UK Pounds!) - I regularly fill a 512MB CF card with it and it's very
> fast - *MUCH* faster than ActiveSync..
>
> L3K
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 12:20:09 AM

> I wonder if this is processor related to the PPC?

It is related to the PPC. Synchronization does not have full USB transfer
speed.

--

..: Jakub Kañczugowski
..: www.PDAclub.pl