Beware: Asus A7N8X-X is a fire hazard

Hi,
I'm a user of an Asus A7N8X-X.

A couple days ago, I almost lost my house because this motherboard does
not have a simple temperature monitor.

Imagine this situation: you left your computer running at home while
you
go to work. But, your cpu fan stop wroking, you Athlon XP CPU goes to
100Celcius and your wooden furniture start to burn.

You come back from work and find your home in ashes.

I got lucky, I could shutdown the computer while the CPU was at
80Celcius.

As a longtime (8years) Asus fan, I have buyed many Asus mobos, but I
can
not understand why they can not put a temperature monitor in their
flagship
Nforce2 chipset mobos.

Anyways, if you think to buy this or another mobo, check if it would
stop
your house from burning.

Regards, a hardcore Asus fan.
Oliver
15 answers Last reply
More about beware asus a7n8x fire hazard

    You are an idiot. Do you really believe that the cpu will burst into flames?
    Get yourself a calculator instead, its more your speed.

    In article <1110311511.704175.131040@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    "oliversl" <news.oliver@samera.com.py> wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I'm a user of an Asus A7N8X-X.
    >
    > A couple days ago, I almost lost my house because this
    > motherboard does not have a simple temperature monitor.
    >
    > Imagine this situation: you left your computer running at
    > home while you go to work. But, your cpu fan stop wroking,
    > you Athlon XP CPU goes to 100Celcius and your wooden furniture
    > start to burn.
    >
    > You come back from work and find your home in ashes.
    >
    > I got lucky, I could shutdown the computer while the CPU was at
    > 80Celcius.
    >
    > As a longtime (8years) Asus fan, I have buyed many Asus mobos,
    > but I can not understand why they can not put a temperature
    > monitor in their flagship Nforce2 chipset mobos.
    >
    > Anyways, if you think to buy this or another mobo, check if it
    > would stop your house from burning.
    >
    > Regards, a hardcore Asus fan.
    > Oliver

    If you check this link:
    http://mbm.livewiredev.com/comp/asus.html

    the A7N8X-X has eight pin Winbond chip W83L785TS_S
    near the processor socket. The chip is next to the upper end
    of the two DIMM sockets. That chip is an overtemperature
    detector, and it senses the diode temperature of the processor.

    (The file name is wrong, but the file is actually for the W83...)
    http://www.winbond-usa.com/products/winbond_products/pdfs/PCIC/W86L785TS-S.pdf

    On page 10 of the datasheet, you can see the chip is programmable
    by resistors, and is intended to trip somewhere around 85 to 90C
    of diode temperature.

    If the diode in your processor is bad (open circuit), this controller
    can fail, but Asus was not negligent - they did waste good money on
    an overtemperature detector (a.k.a Asus C.O.P - see feature set
    in your manual).

    Paul

    "oliversl" <news.oliver@samera.com.py> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I'm a user of an Asus A7N8X-X.
    >
    > A couple days ago, I almost lost my house because this motherboard does
    > not have a simple temperature monitor.
    >
    > Imagine this situation: you left your computer running at home while
    > you
    > go to work. But, your cpu fan stop wroking, you Athlon XP CPU goes to
    > 100Celcius and your wooden furniture start to burn.
    >
    > You come back from work and find your home in ashes.
    >
    > I got lucky, I could shutdown the computer while the CPU was at
    > 80Celcius.
    >
    > As a longtime (8years) Asus fan, I have buyed many Asus mobos, but I
    > can
    > not understand why they can not put a temperature monitor in their
    > flagship
    > Nforce2 chipset mobos.
    >
    > Anyways, if you think to buy this or another mobo, check if it would
    > stop
    > your house from burning.
    >
    > Regards, a hardcore Asus fan.
    > Oliver

    you are more dangerous to your house than that system will ever be

    "oliversl" <news.oliver@samera.com.py> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I'm a user of an Asus A7N8X-X.
    >
    > A couple days ago, I almost lost my house because this motherboard does
    > not have a simple temperature monitor.
    >
    > Imagine this situation: you left your computer running at home while
    > you
    > go to work. But, your cpu fan stop wroking, you Athlon XP CPU goes to
    > 100Celcius and your wooden furniture start to burn.

    The problem is your case is not adequate, you need one that can take the
    heat like this one:
    http://tinyurl.com/7yut8

    > You come back from work and find your home in ashes.
    >
    > I got lucky, I could shutdown the computer while the CPU was at
    > 80Celcius.
    >
    > As a longtime (8years) Asus fan, I have buyed many Asus mobos, but I
    > can
    > not understand why they can not put a temperature monitor in their
    > flagship
    > Nforce2 chipset mobos.
    >
    > Anyways, if you think to buy this or another mobo, check if it would
    > stop
    > your house from burning.
    >
    > Regards, a hardcore Asus fan.
    > Oliver

    You must have skipped a lot of important stuff in school.
    100 C is the temperature where water boils. It's not even
    close to the temperature where wood burns. Around 450 F
    is where woods begins to burn. That's 232 C. Take a trip
    back to grade school. My 3rd-grader knows this much.

    On 8 Mar 2005 11:51:51 -0800, "oliversl" <news.oliver@samera.com.py>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I'm a user of an Asus A7N8X-X.
    >
    >A couple days ago, I almost lost my house because this motherboard does
    >not have a simple temperature monitor.
    >

    >. But, your cpu fan stop wroking, you Athlon XP CPU goes to
    >100Celcius and your wooden furniture start to burn.

    Huh! 100c is a safe temperature with respect to fire hazard. There is
    nothing in the machine or probably in the room or house that would
    combust at 100c - that only the boiling point of water!

    Most electronic components will survive that temperature. Even if they
    don't, the glass fibre multi layer board will not even change colour
    let alone set your wooden furniture to burn.

    Think about it - solids or liquids do not burn as such, they must
    reach a temperature high enough for them to convert their molecules in
    to a flammable gas. Then you must have a source of ignition whose heat
    must meet or exceed the flash point of the flammable gas.... I know of
    nothing in the domestic environment that has a flash point as low as
    100c

    Apart from anything else, your subject line opens you up to
    litigation by making a definitive statement like that. Especially on a
    sampling of one unit!

    May I suggest a more cautious approach in alerting folk to a
    'possible' problem that may cause a smell of something getting hot...

    nuff said fred

    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk

    "CapeGuy" <CapeGuy@devnull.com> wrote in message
    > You must have skipped a lot of important stuff in school.
    > 100 C is the temperature where water boils. It's not even
    > close to the temperature where wood burns. Around 450 F
    > is where woods begins to burn. That's 232 C. Take a trip
    > back to grade school. My 3rd-grader knows this much.
    Classic title for a science fiction novel. Fahrenheit 451. The temperature
    at which paper burns (basically wood)...
    Worth also being aware, that if a component reaches a temperature, the
    stuff round it will be cooler. The element in a toaster, runs at perhaps
    600C, yet it doesn't set fire to the toaster, or the kitchen worktop.
    As you say, a trip back to school is definately called for.
    Worth also saying, that dependant on the processor, the peak manufacturers
    'working' temperature, may well be well over 90C, so the 80C seen, is not
    even exceeding this.

    Best Wishes

    Roger Hamlett wrote:
    > "CapeGuy" <CapeGuy@devnull.com> wrote in message
    > Classic title for a science fiction novel. Fahrenheit 451. The
    temperature
    > at which paper burns (basically wood)...

    Oh no! So what happens at Fahrenheit 911??? What bursts into flames
    then???

    Sorry, was really trying to pass up this troll post, but the opportunity
    was just too good...

    --
    "Outback" Jon Gould |
    1986 Kawasaki Concours |1976 Honda CB750F (needs work)

    In article <112sm6boqkhfr57@corp.supernews.com>,
    joestateson@grandecom.net says...

    > "oliversl" <news.oliver@samera.com.py> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > I'm a user of an Asus A7N8X-X.
    > >
    > > A couple days ago, I almost lost my house because this motherboard does
    > > not have a simple temperature monitor.
    > >
    > > Imagine this situation: you left your computer running at home while
    > > you
    > > go to work. But, your cpu fan stop wroking, you Athlon XP CPU goes to
    > > 100Celcius and your wooden furniture start to burn.
    > >

    > The problem is your case is not adequate, you need one that can take the
    > heat like this one:
    > http://tinyurl.com/7yut8

    Well, don't try this one at home.

    http://ep.llnl.gov/msds/Chem120/lox-oxidation.html

    Bill

    On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 20:03:36 -0600, "Beemer Biker"
    <joestateson@grandecom.net> wrote:

    >The problem is your case is not adequate, you need one that can take the
    >heat like this one:
    > http://tinyurl.com/7yut8

    I like that one! :)

    On 8 Mar 2005 11:51:51 -0800, "oliversl" <news.oliver@samera.com.py> wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I'm a user of an Asus A7N8X-X.
    >
    > A couple days ago, I almost lost my house because this motherboard does
    > not have a simple temperature monitor.

    Have you worked for Gigabyte for very long?

    The OP has an AMD mobo, not an Intel one!

    "Beemer Biker" <joestateson@grandecom.net> wrote in message

    > "oliversl" <news.oliver@samera.com.py> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> I'm a user of an Asus A7N8X-X.
    >>
    >> A couple days ago, I almost lost my house because this motherboard does
    >> not have a simple temperature monitor.
    >>
    >> Imagine this situation: you left your computer running at home while
    >> you
    >> go to work. But, your cpu fan stop wroking, you Athlon XP CPU goes to
    >> 100Celcius and your wooden furniture start to burn.
    >>

    > The problem is your case is not adequate, you need one that can take the
    > heat like this one:
    > http://tinyurl.com/7yut8
    >

    >> You come back from work and find your home in ashes.
    >>
    >> I got lucky, I could shutdown the computer while the CPU was at
    >> 80Celcius.
    >>
    >> As a longtime (8years) Asus fan, I have buyed many Asus mobos, but I
    >> can
    >> not understand why they can not put a temperature monitor in their
    >> flagship
    >> Nforce2 chipset mobos.
    >>
    >> Anyways, if you think to buy this or another mobo, check if it would
    >> stop
    >> your house from burning.
    >>
    >> Regards, a hardcore Asus fan.
    >> Oliver

    Ok, Ok, no need to flame.
    Maybe I over reacted, but my point is that the C.O.P. feature
    should be a default feature in mobos of hi quality like the Asus ones.

    Thanks for the usefull links,

    Regards to all
    Oliver

    oliversl wrote:
    > Ok, Ok, no need to flame.
    > Maybe I over reacted, but my point is that the C.O.P. feature
    > should be a default feature in mobos of hi quality like the Asus ones.
    >
    > Thanks for the usefull links,
    >
    > Regards to all
    > Oliver

    What are you talking about? That board has this feature!

    You said the CPU temperature reached only 80 degrees, that is below the
    85 degrees max die temperature of the Athlon XP specs I checked..

    --
    Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Hi Robert,
    many thanks.
    You're right. I could not find the C.O.P. feature in the BIOS so I
    asume it didn't have.

    So, this mobo does not support changing the C.O.P. settings? I think
    the 85 celcius should be the temperature when the C.O.P. feature
    shutdown the PC.
    Thanks for the info.

    Regards,
    Oliver

Asus Temperature Monitor CPUs Motherboards