Hardware Failure

August 12, 2004 11:23:37 PM

On powerup I keep receiving the message "A hardware
failure reported by your Central Processing Unit (CPU)"
and as far as I can tell through Device Manager
everything is working fine. How do find out what HW
device is malfunctioning?

More about : hardware failure

Anonymous
August 13, 2004 3:29:56 AM

Check in Event Viewer!

Sounds like - it could be the CPU - Sometimes the
malfunctioning device is the one that screams the loudest!

If not that it's either the RAM or the Motherboard, @ the
moment with the details you gave I put my money on CPU!

August 13, 2004 6:09:53 AM

Thanks for the quick feedback!

I'm rather novice and need directions on how to "check in
Event Viewer" and what I should be looking for once I get
there.

I've had this computer (Pentium III, 651 MHz, 64MB RAM)
for 4 years and have replaced the motherboard twice.

Any other info would be greatly appreciate. Thanks!!

Anonymous
August 13, 2004 6:16:46 AM

Right click on My Computer, Click Manage, then expand Event Viewer and
click on System. Look for errors marked by a big white X in a red
circle. Double click on an item to view its reported error. You may
find something in there about a failed driver or failed hardware. Post
back with your findings ;)

----
Nathan McNulty

!