Hardware Failure

On powerup I keep receiving the message "A hardware
failure reported by your Central Processing Unit (CPU)"
and as far as I can tell through Device Manager
everything is working fine. How do find out what HW
device is malfunctioning?
3 answers Last reply
More about hardware failure

    Check in Event Viewer!

    Sounds like - it could be the CPU - Sometimes the
    malfunctioning device is the one that screams the loudest!

    If not that it's either the RAM or the Motherboard, @ the
    moment with the details you gave I put my money on CPU!

    Thanks for the quick feedback!

    I'm rather novice and need directions on how to "check in
    Event Viewer" and what I should be looking for once I get
    there.

    I've had this computer (Pentium III, 651 MHz, 64MB RAM)
    for 4 years and have replaced the motherboard twice.

    Any other info would be greatly appreciate. Thanks!!

    Right click on My Computer, Click Manage, then expand Event Viewer and
    click on System. Look for errors marked by a big white X in a red
    circle. Double click on an item to view its reported error. You may
    find something in there about a failed driver or failed hardware. Post
    back with your findings ;)

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    cam wrote:
    > Thanks for the quick feedback!
    >
    > I'm rather novice and need directions on how to "check in
    > Event Viewer" and what I should be looking for once I get
    > there.
    >
    > I've had this computer (Pentium III, 651 MHz, 64MB RAM)
    > for 4 years and have replaced the motherboard twice.
    >
    > Any other info would be greatly appreciate. Thanks!!

Hardware Device Manager Microsoft Windows XP