Win98 and A7V880 UAY

I recently purchased a new sys.
Amd Athlon Xp 2600+
ASUS A7V880 UAY
256MB DDR 400Mhz
80 GB Samsung 7200rpm

I have not been able to load Win98 on my PC.
The progress bar goes to 7% and then i get a message
'A serious disk error occurred . Retry(r) ? '

I have since changed the hard drive .
I even used a diff Win98 CDROM. But the problem persists.
Interestingly , Win Xp loads on the same partition on the same drive.

Can anybody help ?

thanks.

BigJim

well did you format the hard drive first?
if you did and still get the message it could be
the copy of 98 or it could be the cdrom device.
these are just guesses.

"whitehathackerpk" <whitehathackerpk@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message news:422f3df8$1_3@alt.athenanews.com...
>I recently purchased a new sys.
> Amd Athlon Xp 2600+
> ASUS A7V880 UAY
> 256MB DDR 400Mhz
> 80 GB Samsung 7200rpm
>
> I have not been able to load Win98 on my PC.
> The progress bar goes to 7% and then i get a message
> 'A serious disk error occurred . Retry(r) ? '
>
> I have since changed the hard drive .
> I even used a diff Win98 CDROM. But the problem persists.
> Interestingly , Win Xp loads on the same partition on the same drive.
>
> Can anybody help ?
>
> thanks.

homer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

What is windows 98?

Why on God's earth would you want to install 98. I at least hope it would be
second addition.

Homer

"whitehathackerpk" <whitehathackerpk@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message news:422f3df8$1_3@alt.athenanews.com...
>I recently purchased a new sys.
> Amd Athlon Xp 2600+
> ASUS A7V880 UAY
> 256MB DDR 400Mhz
> 80 GB Samsung 7200rpm
>
> I have not been able to load Win98 on my PC.
> The progress bar goes to 7% and then i get a message
> 'A serious disk error occurred . Retry(r) ? '
>
> I have since changed the hard drive .
> I even used a diff Win98 CDROM. But the problem persists.
> Interestingly , Win Xp loads on the same partition on the same drive.
>
> Can anybody help ?
>
> thanks.

Donovan

make sure you fdisk then restart then format then load 98
"BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> well did you format the hard drive first?
> if you did and still get the message it could be
> the copy of 98 or it could be the cdrom device.
> these are just guesses.
>

> "whitehathackerpk" <whitehathackerpk@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote
> in message news:422f3df8$1_3@alt.athenanews.com...
>>I recently purchased a new sys.
>> Amd Athlon Xp 2600+
>> ASUS A7V880 UAY
>> 256MB DDR 400Mhz
>> 80 GB Samsung 7200rpm
>>
>> I have not been able to load Win98 on my PC.
>> The progress bar goes to 7% and then i get a message
>> 'A serious disk error occurred . Retry(r) ? '
>>
>> I have since changed the hard drive .
>> I even used a diff Win98 CDROM. But the problem persists.
>> Interestingly , Win Xp loads on the same partition on the same drive.
>>
>> Can anybody help ?
>>
>> thanks.

Greetings and hallucinations from just north of Fantasy Land (Washington,
DC)!
Well, are you starting with a drive formatted in NTFS or FAT32? Win98 does
not do NTFS. Second, how are you loading it? It is MUCH faster to make a
subdirectory on the c: drive and copy the win98 directory of the Windows
install disk to the directory you made up and install there. Besides, when
you get a new piece of hardware, you do not have to hunt for your Windows
disk.
Peace,
Paul