how to understand the dot-pitch and the pixel resolution o..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

Hi all,

I don't understand the dot-pitch and the pixel resolution of a CRT monitor.

The RGB triads(triple-dots) sometimes corresponds to a pixel, sometimes
don't corresponds to a pixel: in this case, 1.5(or some other numbers) of
RGB triads consists of a screen pixel.

R G B R G B R G B...
G B R G B R G B R ...

I want to understand for a multi-sync monitor, suppose it has a "native"
resolution of 1600x1200, at this resolution, one screen pixel corresponds to
the one RGB triad... I understand this.

But how does this CRT monitor supports other resolution, such as 1024x768,
800x600, etc....

Anybody know how?

Thanks a lot,

-Lucy

bar

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Go to class:

http://www.jegsworks.com/Lessons/lesson5/lesson5-4.htm

"netwom" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I don't understand the dot-pitch and the pixel resolution of a CRT monitor.
>
> The RGB triads(triple-dots) sometimes corresponds to a pixel, sometimes
> don't corresponds to a pixel: in this case, 1.5(or some other numbers) of
> RGB triads consists of a screen pixel.
>
> R G B R G B R G B...
> G B R G B R G B R ...
>
> I want to understand for a multi-sync monitor, suppose it has a "native"
> resolution of 1600x1200, at this resolution, one screen pixel corresponds to
> the one RGB triad... I understand this.
>
> But how does this CRT monitor supports other resolution, such as 1024x768,
> 800x600, etc....
>
> Anybody know how?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> -Lucy

Lucy, Lucy, Lucy...

http://stweb.peel.edu.on.ca/pcsweb/Pc_tut/06crtmon.htm

"Zagan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Lucy, Lucy, Lucy...
>
> http://stweb.peel.edu.on.ca/pcsweb/Pc_tut/06crtmon.htm

Hi Zagan,

Thank you very much! This one is very good tutorial. Thank you very much.

But it still does not address how the monitor group R G B dots together in
order to form different resolution.

For the native maximal resolution of a CRT, it is easy to understand, for
example 1600x1200,

Every three closest neighbor of RGB will group together to become a pixel.

But the same screen can display in a resolution of 800x600, 1024x768, etc.

How does the CRT select which three gun dots to lighten up when it displays
different resolution?

Thank you,

In that case, try:
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/monitor.htm

----
Nathan McNulty

"Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
> In that case, try:
> http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/monitor.htm
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>
> netwom wrote:
> > "Zagan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Lucy, Lucy, Lucy...
> >>
> >>http://stweb.peel.edu.on.ca/pcsweb/Pc_tut/06crtmon.htm

Hi, I've read that page. Thank you. But I still don't understand:

For that RGB triad, suppose our dot pitch is 0.28mm.

For a pixel at the maximum native resolution, three closest neighboring RGB
group to be a pixel:

Then horizontal distance between two horizontally adjacent pixels is
0.28mm*0.866=0.24mm.

The vertical distance between the two vertically adjacent pixels is 0.28mm
itself.

So the pixel per inch(PPI) resolution for horozontal and vertical pixels
will be different.

That's bad, right?

Any more thoughts?

Thank you very much!