problem with P4C800 deluxe and clean WinXP installation

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
March 10, 2005 1:33:04 AM

Hi all!
I just got a 250GB Maxtor HD (6Y250P0) which I connected to the Ultra
DMA bus on my P4C800-Deluxe Asus mobo. I used the MaxBlast 3 software
by Maxtor to format the disk (didn't partition it), and downloaded the
Promise Fasttrak RAID drivers from the asus website and created the
driver disk that WinXP installation CD asks for after pressing F6.
Everything seems fine so far: the system copies files and warns to
take floppy out of the bay before rebooting.
Then the system reboots... and that's where my troubles start!

GUI starts, and it hangs right at the beginning of the installation
procedure, when it says "39 minutes left". The little dots at the
right bottom corner of the screen stop winding, i.e., the progress bar
stops, and the CD-ROM stops rotating. Basically, it stops reading
files and the system just hangs...

If I botton-reset the PC, GUI claims that installation process will be
reinitialized, but then an error message pops up warning that the
proceure could not be completed (too fast to spot the file name in the
left top corner that causes the problem). The system then reboots, and
that goes on and on and on and on...

(Additional note: after giving some more tries, now the system hangs even
before starting to copy files to the HD. Namely, it hangs when the "analysis
of 239xxGB on fasttrx2k in progress"...)

I have installed WinXP (BTW, the CD contains SP2) on the very same
system even if using a different HD (160GB by Maxtor) and attaching it
to the IDE controller.

Does anyone have any idea about the problem and the related solutions?
My kindest regards,
Nicola
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 10, 2005 1:33:05 AM

I've had glitches with on board promise controllers on two Asus boards.
unless you are creating a raid 0 can you install the operating system on one
drive and then create the mirror
"TheNet" <thenetmaster512@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all!
> I just got a 250GB Maxtor HD (6Y250P0) which I connected to the Ultra
> DMA bus on my P4C800-Deluxe Asus mobo. I used the MaxBlast 3 software
> by Maxtor to format the disk (didn't partition it), and downloaded the
> Promise Fasttrak RAID drivers from the asus website and created the
> driver disk that WinXP installation CD asks for after pressing F6.
> Everything seems fine so far: the system copies files and warns to
> take floppy out of the bay before rebooting.
> Then the system reboots... and that's where my troubles start!
>
> GUI starts, and it hangs right at the beginning of the installation
> procedure, when it says "39 minutes left". The little dots at the
> right bottom corner of the screen stop winding, i.e., the progress bar
> stops, and the CD-ROM stops rotating. Basically, it stops reading
> files and the system just hangs...
>
> If I botton-reset the PC, GUI claims that installation process will be
> reinitialized, but then an error message pops up warning that the
> proceure could not be completed (too fast to spot the file name in the
> left top corner that causes the problem). The system then reboots, and
> that goes on and on and on and on...
>
> (Additional note: after giving some more tries, now the system hangs even
> before starting to copy files to the HD. Namely, it hangs when the
> "analysis of 239xxGB on fasttrx2k in progress"...)
>
> I have installed WinXP (BTW, the CD contains SP2) on the very same
> system even if using a different HD (160GB by Maxtor) and attaching it
> to the IDE controller.
>
> Does anyone have any idea about the problem and the related solutions?
> My kindest regards,
> Nicola

March 10, 2005 6:09:12 AM

> I've had glitches with on board promise controllers on two Asus boards.
> unless you are creating a raid 0 can you install the operating system on one
> drive and then create the mirror

I only have one drive that I believ I have set as a RAID 0 drive,
optimized for performance (security option is not available due to
absence of other drive).
At this point, I was wondering whether someone could help me step by
step create the most appropriate controller configuration to be used
in conjunction with the HD I own: should I use the IDE controller,
Ultra DMA or what?
The PowerMax utility by matrox states that the HD is ok, i.e. the disk
is error-free, so I do feel that it is turning to a motherboard
issue..

I would very much appreciate your help, I would look for all possibile
solutions before claiming an HD failure that may instead resolve as a
Mobo failure or inappropriate configuration.

Nicola
a b V Motherboard
March 10, 2005 10:08:39 AM

It sounds to me that it is a configuration situation. You can't make any
raid array with just one drive, so in bios change raid to non raid or better
just connect your hard drive to a non raid controller. This way you won't
have any driver issues, it should automatically be recognized and windows
should load
"Nicola" <thenetmaster512@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I've had glitches with on board promise controllers on two Asus boards.
>> unless you are creating a raid 0 can you install the operating system on
>> one
>> drive and then create the mirror
>
> I only have one drive that I believ I have set as a RAID 0 drive,
> optimized for performance (security option is not available due to
> absence of other drive).
> At this point, I was wondering whether someone could help me step by
> step create the most appropriate controller configuration to be used
> in conjunction with the HD I own: should I use the IDE controller,
> Ultra DMA or what?
> The PowerMax utility by matrox states that the HD is ok, i.e. the disk
> is error-free, so I do feel that it is turning to a motherboard
> issue..
>
> I would very much appreciate your help, I would look for all possibile
> solutions before claiming an HD failure that may instead resolve as a
> Mobo failure or inappropriate configuration.
>
> Nicola
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 11, 2005 12:07:33 PM

"RBM" <rmottola1(remove this)@optonline.net> wrote:
>It sounds to me that it is a configuration situation. You can't make any
>raid array with just one drive, so in bios change raid to non raid or better
>just connect your hard drive to a non raid controller. This way you won't
>have any driver issues, it should automatically be recognized and windows
>should load
>"Nicola" <thenetmaster512@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I've had glitches with on board promise controllers on two Asus boards.
>>> unless you are creating a raid 0 can you install the operating system on
>>> one
>>> drive and then create the mirror
>>
>> I only have one drive that I believ I have set as a RAID 0 drive,
>> optimized for performance (security option is not available due to
>> absence of other drive).
>> At this point, I was wondering whether someone could help me step by
>> step create the most appropriate controller configuration to be used
>> in conjunction with the HD I own: should I use the IDE controller,
>> Ultra DMA or what?
>> The PowerMax utility by matrox states that the HD is ok, i.e. the disk
>> is error-free, so I do feel that it is turning to a motherboard
>> issue..
>>
>> I would very much appreciate your help, I would look for all possibile
>> solutions before claiming an HD failure that may instead resolve as a
>> Mobo failure or inappropriate configuration.
>>
>> Nicola

Use the ICH5R controller. You won't have to load drivers during setup
because the controller is native. And it puts less stress on the cpu.
Also it's easier to configure trough the bios.

Nickeldome