dvd rom and cdr-w drives both will not work

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Ok, I just noticed this yesterday, not sure how long it
has been like this....

BOTH my dvd rom and my cdr-w drives are not working. They
both have power, and show up on device manager with one of
those yellow !'s. I try the troubleshoot, nothing. I try
system restore to the earliest date I can, nothing. I try
uninstalling them, removing them physically, then re-
installing, still nothing. I would put in my norton
system works disk, but I can't as both drives are not
working! Seems odd they would both go bad at the same
time...help!

Disconnect one and power up, try the other way around, if
neither give joy, replace. Thats the way the cookie
crumbles!

Bad Advice. I highly doubt there is anything wrong with your drives.
There are a couple of ideas that I would suggest. First off, what is
the error code that is provided when you check the properties in Device
Manager? You may want to check BIOS settings, but I doubt this would be
the cause since it was working at one time. There is also some registry
editing we can try. Check this link as well:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

----
Nathan McNulty

Zagan wrote:
> Disconnect one and power up, try the other way around, if
> neither give joy, replace. Thats the way the cookie
> crumbles!

I've seen multiple optical drives die before with similar
simptoms to these, and unfortunately very few actually
came back online, or even worked when I tried them in
other (known-good) machines, and that is the only reason
for my post.

Nathan - You might have a point, I will follow your
thinking on this thread.

Just waiting for a post, DAN...

us;320553