dvd rom and cdr-w drives both will not work

Ok, I just noticed this yesterday, not sure how long it
has been like this....

BOTH my dvd rom and my cdr-w drives are not working. They
both have power, and show up on device manager with one of
those yellow !'s. I try the troubleshoot, nothing. I try
system restore to the earliest date I can, nothing. I try
uninstalling them, removing them physically, then re-
installing, still nothing. I would put in my norton
system works disk, but I can't as both drives are not
working! Seems odd they would both go bad at the same
time...help!
3 answers Last reply
More about drives work

    Disconnect one and power up, try the other way around, if
    neither give joy, replace. Thats the way the cookie
    crumbles!

    Bad Advice. I highly doubt there is anything wrong with your drives.
    There are a couple of ideas that I would suggest. First off, what is
    the error code that is provided when you check the properties in Device
    Manager? You may want to check BIOS settings, but I doubt this would be
    the cause since it was working at one time. There is also some registry
    editing we can try. Check this link as well:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Zagan wrote:
    > Disconnect one and power up, try the other way around, if
    > neither give joy, replace. Thats the way the cookie
    > crumbles!

    I've seen multiple optical drives die before with similar
    simptoms to these, and unfortunately very few actually
    came back online, or even worked when I tried them in
    other (known-good) machines, and that is the only reason
    for my post.

    Nathan - You might have a point, I will follow your
    thinking on this thread.

    Just waiting for a post, DAN...

    us;320553

    >----
    >Nathan McNulty
    >

    >Zagan wrote:
    >> Disconnect one and power up, try the other way around,
    if
    >> neither give joy, replace. Thats the way the cookie
    >> crumbles!

Device Manager Microsoft DVD Drives Windows XP