Event ID: 12
Date: 7/16/2004
Time: 10:05:15 PM
User: N/A
Computer: LUVVIE
The device 'TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-C2502'
(IDE\CdRomTOSHIBA_DVD-ROM_SD-C2502________________1011____\3135303032383434323820202020202020202020)
disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

What do I do to get it back?
4 answers Last reply
More about drive gone

    hi! i have the same problem.my cdrw/dvd has simply vanished. i checked the
    device manager for problem and it said that :

    Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot
    find the hardware device. (Code 41)

    I opened my cpu to check if there was something wrong with the connections
    but there was nothing out of place. my cdrw/dvd is samsung sm-352b.

    "Luvvie" wrote:

    > My cd-rom/dvd drive is gone. In looking in "Computer Management" I found the
    > error message:
    >
    > Event Type: Error
    > Event Source: PlugPlayManager
    > Event Category: None
    > Event ID: 12
    > Date: 7/16/2004
    > Time: 10:05:15 PM
    > User: N/A
    > Computer: LUVVIE
    > The device 'TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-C2502'
    > (IDE\CdRomTOSHIBA_DVD-ROM_SD-C2502________________1011____\3135303032383434323820202020202020202020)
    > disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.
    >
    > What do I do to get it back?

    I have the same problem. It happened after I ran SP2 and both my CDR and CD
    went missing. I have tried unplugging them and shutting Windows down and
    restarting Windows and uninstalling the devices and plugging only one of them
    in and restarting and plugging them in on different controllers and blah blah
    blah. ad neauseum.
    The BIOS recognizes both of the devices on startup, but XP either tells me
    that the driver is there ("successfully installed and working properly!") and
    it cannot find the hardware (sometimes) or that the registry entry for the
    devise is messed up.
    This is a real problem and someone (ahhh that would be Microsoft) should
    figure out what is going on...

    "Luvvie" wrote:

    > My cd-rom/dvd drive is gone. In looking in "Computer Management" I found the
    > error message:
    >
    > Event Type: Error
    > Event Source: PlugPlayManager
    > Event Category: None
    > Event ID: 12
    > Date: 7/16/2004
    > Time: 10:05:15 PM
    > User: N/A
    > Computer: LUVVIE
    > The device 'TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-C2502'
    > (IDE\CdRomTOSHIBA_DVD-ROM_SD-C2502________________1011____\3135303032383434323820202020202020202020)
    > disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.
    >
    > What do I do to get it back?

    (bump)

    Having the same issue, I'd rather not futz with the hardware but that looks
    to be the only option. To further complicate the issue, the driver is
    supposed to be at compaq's ftp site- but sp20525.exe appears to have been
    removed from that directory.

    "faking0219" wrote:

    > I have the same problem. It happened after I ran SP2 and both my CDR and CD
    > went missing. I have tried unplugging them and shutting Windows down and
    > restarting Windows and uninstalling the devices and plugging only one of them
    > in and restarting and plugging them in on different controllers and blah blah
    > blah. ad neauseum.
    > The BIOS recognizes both of the devices on startup, but XP either tells me
    > that the driver is there ("successfully installed and working properly!") and
    > it cannot find the hardware (sometimes) or that the registry entry for the
    > devise is messed up.
    > This is a real problem and someone (ahhh that would be Microsoft) should
    > figure out what is going on...

Computers CD-Rom DVD Drives Windows XP