praveen

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2004

When I load windows to the hard drive, in the BIOS it
shows 131GB. In Windows XP Professional it also shows
131GB. How do I use all 200GB of my drive to overcome this
problem?

bar

Check with the user manual for your PC / MOBO. Find out what the limitations
are on the MOBO: it is not an XP problem.

You might be lucky to find a BIOS update on the manufactures downloads that
accomodates an increase in HDD size.

Be very careful and make sure you have full, printed instructions before
attempting to 'flash' your BIOS. Get it wrong and your PC will need to go to
the Hospital in order to work again.

"Praveen" wrote:

> When I load windows to the hard drive, in the BIOS it
> shows 131GB. In Windows XP Professional it also shows
> 131GB. How do I use all 200GB of my drive to overcome this
> problem?

Andy

I have to disagee with you, it is an XP issue, you need
to have SP1 at least to allow XP to see the full capacity
of the drive of any drive above 120Gb

peter

Praveen already wrote that both the BIOS and XP Pro see the HDD as 131GB,
so the problem is the mobo BIOS.

I agree with what Bar have said.

Peter

"Andy" wrote:

> I have to disagee with you, it is an XP issue, you need
> to have SP1 at least to allow XP to see the full capacity
> of the drive of any drive above 120Gb

norm

There is no way any OS can see more of the disk than the bios can.

"Andy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I have to disagee with you, it is an XP issue, you need
to have SP1 at least to allow XP to see the full capacity
of the drive of any drive above 120Gb

Technically not true. There are dynamic drive overlays used by
companies that allow the OS to see the full size even when the BIOS
can't. This may be an option if you can't get the BIOS to work with
48bit LBA.

Two things for the OP. First, do check and see if there is a setting in
the BIOS for 48bit LBA as that will be far easier than anything else
(and much better). Second, go ahead and check the MB Manufacturer's
website for a BIOS update as this may fix the problem.

If all else fails, you may want to try a PCI IDE controller card or a
Dynamic Drive Overlay utility that can sometimes be obtained from the
Hard Drive Manufacturer.

----
Nathan McNulty

Norm wrote:
> There is no way any OS can see more of the disk than the bios can.
>
> "Andy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have to disagee with you, it is an XP issue, you need
> to have SP1 at least to allow XP to see the full capacity
> of the drive of any drive above 120Gb

I have a 200 GB drive that XP SP1 pro (now SP2) can see 137 GB of. I partitioned the drive 30/30/20 (FAT32)/109.9 GB so that the 109.9 GB partition began within the ceiling limit. XP saw the entire drive then.

I have had this drive for 2 weeks and have lost ALL partitions on it twice and the first 30 GB partition three times. The drive is connected to a controller card. So I tried 30/free/30/30/free/38 and again lost partitions.

My current partitions on the drive are now 30/30/38/30 (FAT32)/free so far it seems fine. The system is a PIII and it is very unlikely that Asus with do any more BIOS updates for the MB.

My advice to the OP would be to partition the drive as needed, but to stay under the 137 GB ceiling. More info at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013 about checking for 48 bit LBA.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff