I've currently got an Asus Pundit-R with 512 mb of pc3200 RAM. Would I
be alright putting in a 1gb stick of the same spec RAM to get 1.5 gb of
RAM on my system or would the Mobo not like mismatched sticks of RAM.
Would I have any problmes with dual channeling if I did this

cheers for any help

You CANNOT use dual channel when using RAM modules of different sizes. They
must be IDENTICAL.

--
DaveW

"hardsteppa" <daveNOSPAMREMOVErutt@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message
> I've currently got an Asus Pundit-R with 512 mb of pc3200 RAM. Would I
> be alright putting in a 1gb stick of the same spec RAM to get 1.5 gb of
> RAM on my system or would the Mobo not like mismatched sticks of RAM.
> Would I have any problmes with dual channeling if I did this
>
> cheers for any help

Paul

Splendid

In article <1110473106.594303.160360@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"hardsteppa" <daveNOSPAMREMOVErutt@lycos.co.uk> wrote:

> I've currently got an Asus Pundit-R with 512 mb of pc3200 RAM. Would I
> be alright putting in a 1gb stick of the same spec RAM to get 1.5 gb of
> RAM on my system or would the Mobo not like mismatched sticks of RAM.
> Would I have any problmes with dual channeling if I did this
>
> cheers for any help

The kingston site says

"Virtually any configuration up to 2GB"

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=14775&mfr=ASUS&model=Pundit&Sys=14775-ASUS-Pundit-R+Desktop+%28P4R8L%29&distributor=0&submit1=Search

You can also cross reference to the P4R800-V manual, as the Kingston
page says "9100 IGP (RS300)", meaning the same Northbridge RS300
is use as on the P4R800-V (9100IGP). Pg.33:

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/P4R800-V%20Deluxe/e1391_p4r800-v.pdf

Judging by the matching requirements shown for the P4R800-V
board, to get dual channel, your use of 512+1GB stick will
cause single channel operation.

I wish the Asus manuals were a little more precise in their
description of RAM and configurations, because they aren't spelling
out all valid configurations. In this case, all we have is the word
of the Kingston RAM recommendation, that your choice of 512+1GB
will work.

Paul

TRENDING THREADS