motherboard replacement with OEM XP

matt

I want to upgrade my Presario 5423us with a new
motherboard and processor, but only have the restore disc
for my OEM Windows XP. Will XP accept the new board and
chip? Is it possible to do this without problems? Thanks!

bar

Moving Hard Drive into new Motherboard and CPU environment will require you
to perform a repair install.

Before you proceed, it is against the Terms of the EULA for OEM version of
XP to carry out this upgrade.

You will need to buy a retail version of XP. May I suggest that you
purchase the XP Pro Upgrade - Academic Edition [not for commercial usage] :
that is only is you qualify. Otherwise you will need to buy the standard XP
Pro Upgrade Version.

Once you have the XP CD and have moved things around, do not attempt to boot
to Windows.

1.Do Not BOOT into Windows XP on first boot after Motherboard or Hard Drive
change! If booting from CD is not an option, return to BIOS and make sure
booting from CD is the first boot option.
2.If your computer does not support booting from the CD, check your OEM or
Motherboard makers web site for updated BIOS.
3.Perform a Repair Install by following the step by step below.
When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.
Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows
installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to
start the repair.
Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not
press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue
as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will
remain intact.

"Matt" wrote:

> I want to upgrade my Presario 5423us with a new
> motherboard and processor, but only have the restore disc
> for my OEM Windows XP. Will XP accept the new board and
> chip? Is it possible to do this without problems? Thanks!

peter

Hi,

No way, unless you buy an upgrade version of XP Pro.
You may buy other version of XP Pro or XP Home (OEM or Retail).

Peter

"BAR" <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Before you proceed, it is against the Terms of the EULA
> for OEM version of
> XP to carry out this upgrade.

Kindly point to the place in the EULA that says this.

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

bar

If you have an OEM version of XP or any other version, just search your hard
drive for EULA.TXT.

May I quote this from Microsoft, specifically to the OEM version:

"The End User License Agreement (EULA) for OEM software, including Windows
XP, states that the software is licensed as a single integrated product in
connection with the hardware. However, it's important to remember that the
end user cannot see nor accept the electronic EULA until the software is
installed on a fully-assembled computer system. So, even though the original
OEM software unit may have been distributed with a component, like a hard
drive, it isn't until the software is installed on a fully-assembled computer
system that it becomes "married" to the hardware.

In general, OEM software may not be transferred from one system to another
system. However, the computer system can certainly be updated with new
components without the requirement of a new software license. The only
exception to this is the motherboard. If the motherboard is replaced, the
computer system is deemed "new" and a new license would be required.

Other PC components may be upgraded, including a hard drive. Though if the
hard drive is replaced/upgraded, the operating system must first be removed
from the old hard drive. To restate: the operating system is "married" to the
computer system on which it is originally installed.

If you haven't already, please take a moment to review a comprehensive group
of OEM Licensing Questions and Answers which are specific to system builders:
https://oem.microsoft.com/worldwide/514341.asp.

Thank you,
The Microsoft OEM System Builder Licensing Team"

I would add, that the link above is for registered OEM builders and requires
a registered username / password to access. However it should clarify this
issue for those who are unaware of the facts.

After all, an OEM version is cheaper than an upgrade version, and
significantly cheaper than a full version.

"Opinicus" wrote:

> "BAR" <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>
> > Before you proceed, it is against the Terms of the EULA
> > for OEM version of
> > XP to carry out this upgrade.
>
> Kindly point to the place in the EULA that says this.
>
> --
> Bob
> Kanyak's Doghouse
> http://www.kanyak.com

"BAR" <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> If you have an OEM version of XP or any other version,
> just search your hard
> drive for EULA.TXT.

I have an OEM version of WinXP and my eula.txt file makes no
mention of "mother", "board", or "motherboard".

> May I quote this from Microsoft, specifically to the OEM
> version:

8<snip!

> system. However, the computer system can certainly be
> updated with new
> components without the requirement of a new software
> license. The only
> exception to this is the motherboard. If the motherboard
> is replaced, the
> computer system is deemed "new" and a new license would be
> required.

This appears to be the opinion of the "The Microsoft OEM
System Builder Licensing Team"

Does Microsoft agree with it, anybody?

I seem to recall this subject being discussed in another
microsoft.public newsgroup (possibly even this one) not too
long ago.

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

BAR is correct unless your OEM has chosen to allow upgrades. You will
need to fully read your EULA to see if they will permit this, but it is
unlikely that this is legal. Another thing you can do is try calling
your OEM and ask them specifically and they should be able to give you a
difinitive answer.

----
Nathan McNulty

"Matt" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I want to upgrade my Presario 5423us with a new
>motherboard and processor, but only have the restore disc
>for my OEM Windows XP. Will XP accept the new board and
>chip? Is it possible to do this without problems? Thanks!

If it is a Compaq motherboard with the same chipset and BIOS brand it
might.

Otherwise no, at least not with a Compaq System Restore disk rather
than an installation CD.

In order to change to a different motherboard it will be necessary to
do a Repair Install of your Windows XP and this requires a Windows XP
installation CD. System Restore/Recovery disks provided by larger
OEMs will not do this.

If your Compaq is running Windows XP Home then the least expensive
option for you would probably be to purchase a Windows XP Pro Upgrade
CD and upgrade your existing system to XP Pro. Then replace the
motherboard and do a Repair Install with the Upgrade installation CD.
See http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm for instructions
for doing a Repair Install.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

Greetings --

No, your Compaq OEM Recovery CD will _not_ work on any motherboard
other than the model originally provided with the computer. If you
can find another motherboard that will even fit into Compaq's
non-standard, proprietary form-factor, you'll also need to purchase a
new WinXP license.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"Matt" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to upgrade my Presario 5423us with a new
> motherboard and processor, but only have the restore disc
> for my OEM Windows XP. Will XP accept the new board and
> chip? Is it possible to do this without problems? Thanks!

Greetings --

Actually, until Microsoft gets around to rewriting the OEM EULA to
define the original computer as the original motherboard, such an
upgrade is _not_ a violation of the EULA. *NO* where in the OEM EULA
does Microsoft link the OEM license to any specific computer
component. It really doesn't matter what Microsoft says to systems
builders on this issue, as system builders are _not_ the people to
whom the EULA (as in _End User_ Licensing Agreement) applies.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

> If you have an OEM version of XP or any other version, just search
> your hard
> drive for EULA.TXT.
>
> May I quote this from Microsoft, specifically to the OEM version:
>
> "The End User License Agreement (EULA) for OEM software, including
> Windows
> XP, states that the software is licensed as a single integrated
> product in
> connection with the hardware. However, it's important to remember
> that the
> end user cannot see nor accept the electronic EULA until the
> software is
> installed on a fully-assembled computer system. So, even though the
> original
> OEM software unit may have been distributed with a component, like a
> hard
> drive, it isn't until the software is installed on a fully-assembled
> computer
> system that it becomes "married" to the hardware.
>
> In general, OEM software may not be transferred from one system to
> another
> system. However, the computer system can certainly be updated with
> new
> components without the requirement of a new software license. The
> only
> exception to this is the motherboard. If the motherboard is
> replaced, the
> computer system is deemed "new" and a new license would be required.
>
> Other PC components may be upgraded, including a hard drive. Though
> if the
> hard drive is replaced/upgraded, the operating system must first be
> removed
> from the old hard drive. To restate: the operating system is
> "married" to the
> computer system on which it is originally installed.
>
> If you haven't already, please take a moment to review a
> comprehensive group
> of OEM Licensing Questions and Answers which are specific to system
> builders:
> https://oem.microsoft.com/worldwide/514341.asp.
>
> Thank you,
> The Microsoft OEM System Builder Licensing Team"
>

> I would add, that the link above is for registered OEM builders and
> requires
> a registered username / password to access. However it should
> clarify this
> issue for those who are unaware of the facts.
>
> After all, an OEM version is cheaper than an upgrade version, and
> significantly cheaper than a full version.

Greetings --

No, this is incorrect. No where in the OEM EULA does Microsoft
state that the license is bound to any single, specific component.

Granted, in this case, the OP will still need to purchase another
WinXP license, but this is for technical reasons (the Compaq OEM
Recovery CD simply won't work on another motherboard), rather than
licensing issues.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

> Before you proceed, it is against the Terms of the EULA for OEM
> version of
> XP to carry out this upgrade.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

More bullshit......

> Moving Hard Drive into new Motherboard and CPU environment will
> require you
> to perform a repair install.
>
> Before you proceed, it is against the Terms of the EULA for OEM
> version of
> XP to carry out this upgrade.
>
> You will need to buy a retail version of XP. May I suggest that you
> purchase the XP Pro Upgrade - Academic Edition [not for commercial
> usage] :
> that is only is you qualify. Otherwise you will need to buy the
> standard XP
> Pro Upgrade Version.
>
> Once you have the XP CD and have moved things around, do not attempt
> to boot
> to Windows.
>
> 1.Do Not BOOT into Windows XP on first boot after Motherboard or
> Hard Drive
> change! If booting from CD is not an option, return to BIOS and
> make sure
> booting from CD is the first boot option.
> 2.If your computer does not support booting from the CD, check your
> OEM or
> Motherboard makers web site for updated BIOS.
> 3.Perform a Repair Install by following the step by step below.
> When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options
> below
> This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
> Windows XP to run on your computer:
>
> To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
>
> To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press
> R.
>
> To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
> Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.
> Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing
> Windows
> installations.
> Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and
> press R to
> start the repair.
> Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.
> Do not
> press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will
> continue
> as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and
> settings will
> remain intact.
>

> "Matt" wrote:
>
>> I want to upgrade my Presario 5423us with a new
>> motherboard and processor, but only have the restore disc
>> for my OEM Windows XP. Will XP accept the new board and
>> chip? Is it possible to do this without problems? Thanks!

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Bruce et al....
I think that these questions about OEM are not appropriate
for the Microsoft forums. These questions should be addressed
by Compaq, Dell or whoever. This is why I sometimes reply
with inappropriate slams. BTW your reply is correct, however
it is a Compaq issue not a Microsoft or XP issue.
good luck