Tim

Nvidia GeForce DDR...When I reboot, IF there is a video signal, the display
is scrambled. I have to remove the cpu power cord several times to get a
signal and more times to get an unscrambled signal. Card? MB? Driver? All?
It's an annoyance for me, but if my wife EVER encounters it...

Have you tried swapping the card for a "known Good Card?"

bar

Is your monitor mains supply cord also plugged into the PC power supply..some
are. Make sure that both mains supply cords are seated properly.

Also check that the Video Signal Cable is properly seated on the PC socket
and give the locating screws a twist to make sure it's locked down.

"Zagan" wrote:

> Have you tried swapping the card for a "known Good Card?"

<snip>

Say what??? Monitor getting power from the PC's power
supply? What planet do you live on?

I agree. I have never seen that.

I do have to ask though. Is the screen being scrambled before you get
into Windows? Do you see the POST fine or is that scrambled too? Have
you dabbled with overclocking at all? It sounds like the core/memory
frequency on your video card is higher than it can handle. Does it look
kind of like plaid? I highly doubt it is the monitor, but to rule that
out, you may just want to try a different monitor to see if it works.

----
Nathan McNulty

"Wislu Plethora" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Say what??? Monitor getting power from the PC's power
> supply? What planet do you live on?

It used to be fairly common for an AT power supply to have a "power out"
connection that you used with a special power cord that could connect to a
monitor or whatever. Of course, since AT power supplies haven't been around
since the days of the socket 7 motherboards, you don't see them much
anymore.
--
Steve Midgley

Tim

Not yet. The only other card I have is a 3dfx voodoo3000
"Zagan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have you tried swapping the card for a "known Good Card?"

Tim

I've reseated all cords.
> Is your monitor mains supply cord also plugged into the PC power
supply..some
> are. Make sure that both mains supply cords are seated properly.
>
> Also check that the Video Signal Cable is properly seated on the PC socket
> and give the locating screws a twist to make sure it's locked down.
>
> "Zagan" wrote:
>
> > Have you tried swapping the card for a "known Good Card?"

Tim

POST is scrambled too. Never oc'd. It's a colored binary-looking mess.I'll
post a pic if anyone cares.
"Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
> I agree. I have never seen that.
>
> I do have to ask though. Is the screen being scrambled before you get
> into Windows? Do you see the POST fine or is that scrambled too? Have
> you dabbled with overclocking at all? It sounds like the core/memory
> frequency on your video card is higher than it can handle. Does it look
> kind of like plaid? I highly doubt it is the monitor, but to rule that
> out, you may just want to try a different monitor to see if it works.
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> Wislu Plethora wrote:

Tim

I just installed an nvivia unsigned driver dated 7-04. I rebooted 2 times to
a NORMAL display! A corrupt video driver? No way. That's why I haven't tried
my 3dfx card. I've been through the 'too many vid drivers' routine, before.
Thanks to all...'til I reboot!

"Tim" <Tim@XHemplemans.com> wrote in message
> Nvidia GeForce DDR...When I reboot, IF there is a video signal, the
display
> is scrambled. I have to remove the cpu power cord several times to get a
> signal and more times to get an unscrambled signal. Card? MB? Driver? All?
> It's an annoyance for me, but if my wife EVER encounters it...

Tim, try this for me. Open the case and look for a little round
battery. Remove the battery for a couple of minutes and put it back in.
Now turn on the computer and see if anything has changed. It is
possible that whatever drivers you installed may have enabled something
in the BIOS that the computer does not agree with. It could be Fast
Writes or Side Band Addressing. Anyways, doing what I mentioned above
will clear the BIOS settings and put them all back to default or Fail
Safe settings. It's a long shot, but it just might work. If not, you
may want to try a different video card just to see if the POST shows up
properly (you can turn the computer off after POST before WIndows loads
if you are worried about that).

----
Nathan McNulty

Tim wrote:
> POST is scrambled too. Never oc'd. It's a colored binary-looking mess.I'll
> post a pic if anyone cares.
> "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
>
>>I agree. I have never seen that.
>>
>>I do have to ask though. Is the screen being scrambled before you get
>>into Windows? Do you see the POST fine or is that scrambled too? Have
>>you dabbled with overclocking at all? It sounds like the core/memory
>>frequency on your video card is higher than it can handle. Does it look
>>kind of like plaid? I highly doubt it is the monitor, but to rule that
>>out, you may just want to try a different monitor to see if it works.
>>
>>----
>>Nathan McNulty

Tim

Would 'Reset the configuration data' do the same?

> Tim, try this for me. Open the case and look for a little round
> battery. Remove the battery for a couple of minutes and put it back in.
> Now turn on the computer and see if anything has changed. It is
> possible that whatever drivers you installed may have enabled something
> in the BIOS that the computer does not agree with. It could be Fast
> Writes or Side Band Addressing. Anyways, doing what I mentioned above
> will clear the BIOS settings and put them all back to default or Fail
> Safe settings. It's a long shot, but it just might work. If not, you
> may want to try a different video card just to see if the POST shows up
> properly (you can turn the computer off after POST before WIndows loads
> if you are worried about that).
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> Tim wrote:
> > POST is scrambled too. Never oc'd. It's a colored binary-looking
mess.I'll
> > post a pic if anyone cares.
> > "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>I agree. I have never seen that.
> >>
> >>I do have to ask though. Is the screen being scrambled before you get
> >>into Windows? Do you see the POST fine or is that scrambled too? Have
> >>you dabbled with overclocking at all? It sounds like the core/memory
> >>frequency on your video card is higher than it can handle. Does it look
> >>kind of like plaid? I highly doubt it is the monitor, but to rule that
> >>out, you may just want to try a different monitor to see if it works.
> >>
> >>----
> >>Nathan McNulty

Resetting the configuration data is not the same thing. That is to
update the ESCD which contains information on Plug and Play Devices.
You can try it and it won't hurt anything, but I don't think that is the
problem here.

I just read your other post saying that you installed a new video card
driver and it works fine now. It is possible that the other driver you
were using had enabled either Side Band Addressing or Fast Writes which
your motherboard didn't like (as I stated previously). If I were you, I
would install these drivers:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_61.76

----
Nathan McNulty

Tim wrote:
> Would 'Reset the configuration data' do the same?
>
> "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
>
>>Tim, try this for me. Open the case and look for a little round
>>battery. Remove the battery for a couple of minutes and put it back in.
>>Now turn on the computer and see if anything has changed. It is
>>possible that whatever drivers you installed may have enabled something
>>in the BIOS that the computer does not agree with. It could be Fast
>>Writes or Side Band Addressing. Anyways, doing what I mentioned above
>>will clear the BIOS settings and put them all back to default or Fail
>>Safe settings. It's a long shot, but it just might work. If not, you
>>may want to try a different video card just to see if the POST shows up
>>properly (you can turn the computer off after POST before WIndows loads
>>if you are worried about that).
>>
>>----
>>Nathan McNulty
>>

>>Tim wrote:
>>
>>>POST is scrambled too. Never oc'd. It's a colored binary-looking
>
> mess.I'll
>
>>>post a pic if anyone cares.
>>>"Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message

Tim

Thanks. I installed this driver
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_61.77
I just rebooted and the problem returned. I removed the battery and it
didn't help. I'll dl your driver and try it.

> Resetting the configuration data is not the same thing. That is to
> update the ESCD which contains information on Plug and Play Devices.
> You can try it and it won't hurt anything, but I don't think that is the
> problem here.
>
> I just read your other post saying that you installed a new video card
> driver and it works fine now. It is possible that the other driver you
> were using had enabled either Side Band Addressing or Fast Writes which
> your motherboard didn't like (as I stated previously). If I were you, I
> would install these drivers:
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_61.76
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> Tim wrote:
> > Would 'Reset the configuration data' do the same?
> >
> > "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Tim, try this for me. Open the case and look for a little round
> >>battery. Remove the battery for a couple of minutes and put it back in.
> >>Now turn on the computer and see if anything has changed. It is
> >>possible that whatever drivers you installed may have enabled something
> >>in the BIOS that the computer does not agree with. It could be Fast
> >>Writes or Side Band Addressing. Anyways, doing what I mentioned above
> >>will clear the BIOS settings and put them all back to default or Fail
> >>Safe settings. It's a long shot, but it just might work. If not, you
> >>may want to try a different video card just to see if the POST shows up
> >>properly (you can turn the computer off after POST before WIndows loads
> >>if you are worried about that).
> >>
> >>----
> >>Nathan McNulty

> > mess.I'll

Have

It is important to note that 61.77 is not WHQL Certified. Also, it has
added support for certain things such as DirectX 9.0c and I feel they
may have rushed those drivers. Stick with 61.76 as those have been
tested by Microsoft and passed.

----
Nathan McNulty