Modem Locks UP XP

I have a Dell Dimension 4550 running windows XP. I
connect to the internet using AOL diaup. A few days ago I
noticed that the computer would lock up (not respond to
any commands including <ctl-alt-dlt>) when it was trying
to dial. Subsequent analysis indicated that anytime that
the computer would try to access the installed modem
(troubleshooting wizard, etc...) that the computer would
lock up. Now my bright idea was to remove the modem from
the Windows Control Panel and reboot to see if this would
fix it. After rebooting the windows hardware auto detect
feature finds the new modem and then immediately locks up
the computer just after logging on. So now the computer
is totally frozen. The modem in question is a BCM V.92
which I think is an internal soft modem. We have had many
recent storms and it is possible that lightning fried this
one. What should I do? If I need to replace it or
disable it could you direct me to some instructions?

Some extra information: There are 3 ports for phone line
connections. 1 near the middle of the case near some USB
ports and 2 together nearer the bottom. Upon opening the
case I noticed that the 1 near the top is attached to a
module that connects directly to the motherboard. The 2
near the bottom are attached to a card that is connected
to the motherboard via a jumper wire. I tried
disconnecting the jumper wire on the bottom card without
any success. So I assume that the problem in question is
with the upper module attached directly to the
motherboard. What is the bottom card with the 2 phone
jacks, another modem?
5 answers Last reply
More about modem locks

    Thus far, what has prevented you from referring to the
    computer documentation in order to identify the ports?
    There are not 3 phone connections. The one by itself is
    a NIC (network interface)connection. The one with two ports
    is the modem. One port is connected to the phone line and
    the other may be used to connect a telephone. Make sure
    you have them straight.

    For the main problem, it appears that either your modem
    is bad, or there is a conflict. Try doing a system restore
    to a point prior to when the problem started. If that
    doesn't work, boot into safe mode and see if you can
    test the modem from there. The answer may not be self-
    evident; a while back I saw a situation where an Nvidia
    desktop applet was causing a computer to reboot every
    time the modem was invoked.

    I don't seem to have any documentation for this computer
    that explain what the ports are, but thanks for the
    enlightenment. I'll try what you suggested. Why though
    when I disconnected the jumper to the one with the 2 ports
    (i.e. the modem) did Windows still detect it?

    I don't know why there would be a lead between the modem
    and the mobo unless it's some sort of audio connector. At
    any rate, the modem will be enumerated and accessed via
    the PCI bus, and the lead in question would have no
    effect on whether the modem is recognized or not.

    Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

    The lead that you see is most likely an audio connector for the voice
    part of the modem. Many modems have this. I do have to ask, are you
    sure the top one is a phone jack or is it slightly bigger. I am going to
    take a guess that the top one is actually a RJ45 connection which is for
    networking cable and is actually your LAN Card. Have you tried actually
    unplugging the PCI Modem card (the one with the two ports) from the
    motherbaord? You may want to try putting it in a different PCI slot and
    see if that helps. You may be running into IRQ conflicts.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

Windows XP Modem Computers