HP Photosmart 7550 - cost of ink

I've got an HP photosmart 7550 that I've had for a year or so. I'm
trying to investigate the alternatives for replacing the ink
cartridges at the lowest possible cost.

I've tried buying refurbished cartridges, which is fine sometimes, but
I've had problems.

I've also tried a refill kit, but even a cartridge that shows up on
the printer as being nearly empty doesn't seem to want to refill (ink
spurts out almost immediately, no matter how slowly I tried to fill
it). These are cartridges that were used recently... are original HP
cartridges not really refillable? Is there a guide anywhere to
refilling cartridges? Are there good alternatives to official HP
cartridges?

At the cost of new cartridges, I'm starting to not be able to afford
to use my printer...

Thanks!
3 answers Last reply
More about photosmart 7550 cost

    I have a photosmart using black #56 and tricolor #57. I just started
    refilling them using bulk ink, and I am on my second fill. It takes a
    little technique to get it right, but it sure is cheaper that new
    cartridges.

    --
    Dave C.

    "Steve Pfister" <srp336@getcoactive.com> wrote in message
    > I've got an HP photosmart 7550 that I've had for a year or so. I'm
    > trying to investigate the alternatives for replacing the ink
    > cartridges at the lowest possible cost.
    >
    > I've tried buying refurbished cartridges, which is fine sometimes, but
    > I've had problems.
    >
    > I've also tried a refill kit, but even a cartridge that shows up on
    > the printer as being nearly empty doesn't seem to want to refill (ink
    > spurts out almost immediately, no matter how slowly I tried to fill
    > it). These are cartridges that were used recently... are original HP
    > cartridges not really refillable? Is there a guide anywhere to
    > refilling cartridges? Are there good alternatives to official HP
    > cartridges?
    >
    > At the cost of new cartridges, I'm starting to not be able to afford
    > to use my printer...
    >
    > Thanks!

    "Steve Pfister" <srp336@getcoactive.com> wrote in message
    > I've got an HP photosmart 7550 that I've had for a year or so. I'm
    > trying to investigate the alternatives for replacing the ink
    > cartridges at the lowest possible cost.

    I have a Photosmart 7350. I'm still on my original set of cartridges from
    January of 2003. I figure I've printed around sixty 4x6's and five 8x10
    pictures. Not bad I'd say. I buy only new OEM HP cartridges. I've been
    stocking up from:

    CompUSA (special sale) - around $18/photo, $16/black, $27/color
    Sears (w/ $5 off coupon) - $20/photo

    I dunno, I feel like if I'm paying for the HP photo paper, I might as well
    get good ink. How much have you been paying for ink?

    I quite often refill when the ink shows low on the status monitor and a chamber
    only takes 1-3ml. There is still loads of ink left when HP's monitor is on the
    low side. On the other hand it's a good time to refill.

    "Steve Pfister" <srp336@getcoactive.com> wrote in message
    > I've got an HP photosmart 7550 that I've had for a year or so. I'm
    > trying to investigate the alternatives for replacing the ink
    > cartridges at the lowest possible cost.
    >
    > I've tried buying refurbished cartridges, which is fine sometimes, but
    > I've had problems.
    >
    > I've also tried a refill kit, but even a cartridge that shows up on
    > the printer as being nearly empty doesn't seem to want to refill (ink
    > spurts out almost immediately, no matter how slowly I tried to fill
    > it). These are cartridges that were used recently... are original HP
    > cartridges not really refillable? Is there a guide anywhere to
    > refilling cartridges? Are there good alternatives to official HP
    > cartridges?
    >
    > At the cost of new cartridges, I'm starting to not be able to afford
    > to use my printer...
    >
    > Thanks!

Printers HP Photosmart Peripherals