Memory for P3V133

Sam

My son-in-law has an older system with an P3V133 mobo. He needs memory
for it and I'm wondering if I need to get low density simms or will high
density simms work OK in this board?

Sam

Paul

Splendid

In article <Dd2dnYUQLu5KGqzfRVn-1Q@comcast.com>, sam <scajjr@comcast.net> wrote:

> My son-in-law has an older system with an P3V133 mobo. He needs memory
> for it and I'm wondering if I need to get low density simms or will high
> density simms work OK in this board?
>
> Sam

It is interesting, that I found one post in Google, for
P3V133 and the word density. The experience there, was a
512 was not recognized properly. A 512MB stick would have
16 chips, and a "high density" 256MB would be the same
DIMM, only with eight chips on one side populated. So,
that would suggest the need for smaller capacity DIMMs
with 16 chips.

The manual says DIMMs up to 512MB can be used, but the
Google post above seems to be refuting that.

If you go to Crucial.com and look up P3V133 there, the
largest DIMM listed is 256MB.

If you go to Kingston.com and look up P3V133, there
is conflicting information (i.e. Kingston's choices don't
all follow the same theme). Kingston lists a 512MB DIMM
with 16 chips, yet they don't list a 256MB DIMM with 8
chips. Now, that cannot be, as if the missing one doesn't
work, then the 512MB 16 chip one cannot work either.
They do list two parts with a Q in the part number, and
if you download the PDF datasheet, they are low density
parts. So, at least those choices are consistent with one
another.

I think it is safe to go with a low density 256MB stick.
I hope that is a large enough memory increment to help your
son-in-law. Crucial thinks your maximum memory is 3x256MB.

Another thing that really impressed me, is Crucial lists their
CT32M64S4D75 CAS3 as being the most popular, when the
CT32M64S4D7E is CAS2, and if all the memory in the machine
is CAS2, you would get slightly better performance (CAS2 is
faster). Since the CAS2 is $3 cheaper, I see no reason to buy
the CAS3, even if the DIMM doesn't get a chance to run at CAS2.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=ASUS%2B+Motherboards&mfr=ASUS&cat=&model=P3V133&submit=Go

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=9371&mfr=ASUS&model=P3V133+Series+Motherboard&Sys=9371-ASUS-P3V133+Series+Motherboard&distributor=0&submit1=Search

Now, this site lists a 512MB stick, and yet they claim a max
of 768MB. Does that imply you could only use 512MB+256MB, leaving
a slot blank ? This is bizarre (that the sites don't agree).

http://www.4allmemory.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.memorySearch&manufacturer_id=12%26manufacturer%3DASUS&model_id=14222%26model%3DP3V133

You can dredge up original info on the chipset, using web.archive.org .
I managed to find the 693a.pdf document, which lists some details on
the Northbridge of the P3V133. Now, as above, it is likely Via never
tested with a 512MB stick, and would only have had access to 256MB
low density DIMMs (for a total of 3x256MB). So, while the engineers
believed they designed it right for a 512MB DIMM, they wouldn't have
had hardware to test that out.

http://web.archive.org/web/20000229073042/www.via.com.tw/support/datasheets.htm
http://web.archive.org/web/20000229073042/www.via.com.tw/pdf/productinfo/693A.pdf

"Mixed 1M / 2M / 4M / 8M / 16M / 32MxN DRAMs
8 banks up to 1.5 GB DRAMs (256Mb DRAM technology)"

That blurb, means basically that a more or less standard 512MB double
sided DIMM should work (16 chips, each 32Mx8 bits). Now, some
motherboard manuals using the same chips, commented that 768MB was
"supported", because 3x512MB was never tested. Now, Kingston
lists a 512MB and Crucial doesn't, so who do we believe ?
(I'd say phone Asus tech support, but you'd likely get nowhere fast
if you did that.)

Another thing to keep in mind, is the possiblity that the chipset
really doesn't like to drive a full complement of DIMMs. After all,
the AGP slot had to be turned down to 2X to work (supposed to work
with 4X), so what are the odds that the RAM works any better ?

http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=8ln7ve%24tjn%241%40nnrp1.deja.com

I guess your best option now, depends on how much RAM you need,
and how well the motherboard has been working to date. If it has
always been a cranky, crashprone motherboard, perhaps poking another
DIMM into it will not improve its disposition.

Sorry the crystal ball is so fuzzy :)
Paul

BigJim

low density is the way to go, I do believe that chip set may support high
density chips
but to be safe get the low density.
"sam" <scajjr@comcast.net> wrote in message
> My son-in-law has an older system with an P3V133 mobo. He needs memory for
> it and I'm wondering if I need to get low density simms or will high
> density simms work OK in this board?
>
> Sam

TRENDING THREADS