Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Max CPU on an A7V8X?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 11, 2005 6:20:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Hi all. First time post here (kinda rare when I have a tech question ;p).

I have an asus A8V8X motherboard, currently running an xp2100.

Here are the cpu specs (and link to full specs):

http://uk.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?langs=11&m=A7V8X

Processor: Socket A for AMD®: Athlon XP/ Athlon/ Duron up to 2.4GHz+
Thoroughbred core CPU ready

So it can run up to a 2.4Ghz chip (or over?), the FSB goes to 333mhz, so I
guess its pointless getting a chip which does more..

This is the chip I was thinking of getting, problem is it has a barton
core...will this fit onto my mobo (and work)?

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProdu...

AMD *Retail* Athlon XP 3000+ *333 FSB* Barton (2.17 GHz) with AMD Heat Sink
Fan

If not then I guess I need to get a lesser chip, or upgrade my mobo (which
is pointless atm as I cant afford a PCI-E card yet, and dont want to invest
in old tech, a single cpu doesnt matter, as can keep this machine together
when I upgrade next year).

Thanks for any advice, if I have missed any detail, let me know and will
post what you need ;) 

More about : max cpu a7v8x

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 11, 2005 6:21:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"Lief" <ask.me.for@it.com> wrote in message
news:ZGiYd.810$tb7.364@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
> Hi all. First time post here (kinda rare when I have a tech question ;p).
>
> I have an asus A8V8X motherboard, currently running an xp2100.

A7V8X ...damn typo :) 
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 11, 2005 10:12:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"Lief" <ask.me.for@it.com> wrote in message
news:5IiYd.812$tb7.100@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
>
> "Lief" <ask.me.for@it.com> wrote in message
> news:ZGiYd.810$tb7.364@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
>> Hi all. First time post here (kinda rare when I have a tech question
>> ;p).
>>
>> I have an asus A8V8X motherboard, currently running an xp2100.
> A7V8X ...damn typo :) 

According to ASUS's web site, your board will take up to a Athlon XP Barton
3000+ or Sempron 3000+ as long as your board revision is 1.04 and
you have an up to date BIOS.

---
Kevin Chalker, Owner KC COMPUTERS
E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
Internet dealer since 1991!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 11, 2005 10:28:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"KC Computers" <kc@REMOVEkc-computers.com> wrote in message
news:D 4mYd.129984$nC5.98782@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>
> "Lief" <ask.me.for@it.com> wrote in message
> news:5IiYd.812$tb7.100@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
> >
> > "Lief" <ask.me.for@it.com> wrote in message
> > news:ZGiYd.810$tb7.364@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
> >> Hi all. First time post here (kinda rare when I have a tech question
> >> ;p).
> >>
> >> I have an asus A8V8X motherboard, currently running an xp2100.
> > A7V8X ...damn typo :) 
>
> According to ASUS's web site, your board will take up to a Athlon XP
Barton
> 3000+ or Sempron 3000+ as long as your board revision is 1.04 and
> you have an up to date BIOS.

Hrm only have original bios and no FDD....can you update bios from CD??
Never had need to do this before....the actual mobo settings do go as high
as I think I will need.....guess I can always send it back if it dont work.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 11, 2005 11:16:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

>> >> I have an asus A8V8X motherboard, currently running an xp2100.
>> > A7V8X ...damn typo :) 
>>
>> According to ASUS's web site, your board will take up to a Athlon XP
> Barton
>> 3000+ or Sempron 3000+ as long as your board revision is 1.04 and
>> you have an up to date BIOS.
>
> Hrm only have original bios and no FDD....can you update bios from CD??
> Never had need to do this before....the actual mobo settings do go as high
> as I think I will need.....guess I can always send it back if it dont
> work.

What mobo settings are you referring to? Did you check
your board for the revision #? It should be between some
PCI slots.

--

---
Kevin Chalker, Owner KC COMPUTERS
E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
Internet dealer since 1991!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 12, 2005 12:29:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"KC Computers" <kc@REMOVEkc-computers.com> wrote in message
news:70nYd.130114$nC5.55854@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> >> >> I have an asus A8V8X motherboard, currently running an xp2100.
> >> > A7V8X ...damn typo :) 
> >>
> >> According to ASUS's web site, your board will take up to a Athlon XP
> > Barton
> >> 3000+ or Sempron 3000+ as long as your board revision is 1.04 and
> >> you have an up to date BIOS.
> >
> > Hrm only have original bios and no FDD....can you update bios from CD??
> > Never had need to do this before....the actual mobo settings do go as
high
> > as I think I will need.....guess I can always send it back if it dont
> > work.
>
> What mobo settings are you referring to? Did you check
> your board for the revision #? It should be between some
> PCI slots.

I'll check and get back to you.

Settings I meant were FSB and multiplier settings.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 13, 2005 9:27:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"KC Computers" <kc@REMOVEkc-
Did you check
> your board for the revision #? It should be between some
> PCI slots.

REV = 2.01....so I am guessing this is ok for the chip I wanted?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 14, 2005 2:22:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"KC Computers" <kc@REMOVEkc-computers.com> wrote in message
news:70nYd.130114$nC5.55854@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

Hmm bah bios rev 1010....may try to flash it...if not will buy a cheap
socket a mobo....thanks for your help ;) 
!